Author Topic: Yamaha 20 HP issues  (Read 23322 times)

Offline DJ76

Yamaha 20 HP issues
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »
Purchased a new 20hp 4 stroke yamaha this past November.  took it out a total of three times since purchased.  Probably ran a total of six gallons of gas through it.  Each time pulled fuel line and let motor run dry AND added stabil for each fuel fill up.  Each departure used fresh gas...either 87 or 89.  tank is brand new AND an OEM line, bulb, etc. I would estimate about 10 hrs on motor and maybe 6 total gallons of gas used.

First two times out motor ran great. This past sunday had the boat out in sandy hook bay and motor was running great for first 30 or so minutes.  Then all of a sudden its like i lost half the power.  boat came off plane and sounded like it was starving for fuel.  we immediately check the fuel line make sure its not collapsed, vented properly etc.  nothing.  Figured maybe screen on fuel tank was clogged...had spare tank and removed adpaters and stuck hose straight into spare tank...same issues.  again like its starving. pull boat out of water and pull off cowling.  pulled fuel filter and a few small particles nothing of significance...literally like five tiny black specs.  Then look at air intake.  metal screens look clean as a whistle.  now check spark plugs. when I go to push on bottom plug I hear a click.  we decide maybe thats it.  put back in water. runs good for about another ten minutes then the half throttle issue again.   :headscra: :headscra: :headscra:

Stop into a yamaha dealer today and he seems to think its a carb issue due to ethanol.  i was a little skeptical cause i can't believe a brand new motor with about ten hours on it would have ethanol issues with the carb.  he seems to think there could be some issues with the needle.

Any thoughts on this?  Recommendations, etc.????

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Yamaha 20 HP issues
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:50:34 PM »
Isn't it under warranty? Let the dealer handle it.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 10:58:05 PM »
 whs

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 11:38:49 PM »
ethanol shouldnt have any effect on a newer motor if you use stabil anyway get the one with the ethanol treatment.

How many shop ours is he going to charge you to tell you it was bad gas or something like that??

I would try to blow it out myself first run it for a while on the ear plugs with a high octane and maybe a shot or two of sea foam if all else fails bring it in.
Good luck
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:02:40 AM »
 we had a similar problem when reel time was new. marina claimed it was a piece of crud made it through the filters and clogged an injector

you do have a 10 micron filter for that engine right?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:03:24 AM by Reel Time »
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »
A brand new 4 stroke has a carb?  You sure it's not EFI?  Also, that sucker should be under warranty. 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:34:05 AM »
A brand new 4 stroke has a carb?  You sure it's not EFI?  Also, that sucker should be under warranty. 

Something isn't right here. It is  carb according to this. http://www.outboard-engine.com/enginespecs.php?recordID=195

Back to warranty. Take it back to the dealer or you could void the warranty.

Offline DJ76

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 08:58:37 PM »
purchased 11/1/2011, yamaha model# 20ELH

If I drop off at dealer and they discover is something non-warranty (i.e. the ethanol/carb issue)i'm stuck footing the bill.  so yes, I understand that is an option but just looking for the 'obvious' things to check.

I like the idea of possible bad gas.  think i'll try the sea foam/high octane engine in the barrel thing and see how she goes.  I'm trying to keep to the KISS principal here because I believe it is something stupid rather than engine related.  would like to eliminate those factors before dropping off for warranty work.

thanks again for everyone that as chimed in this far clp it is really appreciated grtn

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline DJ76

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 09:03:38 PM »
we had a similar problem when reel time was new. marina claimed it was a piece of crud made it through the filters and clogged an injector

yes theres an oil filter and I'm ASSUMING its 10 micron, its original one.  have to double check weather 10 micron.   I did check the oil when back at dock and that looked next to brand new as well...golden in color.  I figured if black or really dirty perhaps other issues, but does not seem to be case.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline DJ76

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 09:09:21 PM »

when pulled off cowling looked like there was a carb...i'm no mechanic (obviously!!  thud) but sure looked like device were fuel and air lines were mixed together.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 09:24:30 PM »
purchased 11/1/2011, yamaha model# 20ELH

If I drop off at dealer and they discover is something non-warranty (i.e. the ethanol/carb issue)i'm stuck footing the bill.  so yes, I understand that is an option but just looking for the 'obvious' things to check.

I like the idea of possible bad gas.  think i'll try the sea foam/high octane engine in the barrel thing and see how she goes.  I'm trying to keep to the KISS principal here because I believe it is something stupid rather than engine related.  would like to eliminate those factors before dropping off for warranty work.

thanks again for everyone that as chimed in this far clp it is really appreciated grtn

Can't get better than aviation gas. It's 100 octane. I know of some people who cut their gas with it on occasion. They swear by it at getting all of the varnish out. I have not done it myself. I hear you can burn it straight as it will burn too hot and screw with your engine.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 09:48:36 PM »

not the oil filter the fuel filter should be a small clear plastic bulb type in line with the fuel filter.
10 micron is what you want the needle jet on your carb is smaller than the tip of a tooth pick it wouldnt take more than two or three particle to jam you up.

Dont run it wot on the ears there may not be sufficient water flow and can cause problems.

Ethanol is alcohol which is a good cleaner so i dont believe that it would gum up the carb especially being a newer motor.

Run the sea foam through it I would mix half a can with a gallon of gas and run it all through

And dont assume because the gas is fresh its good I've seen and heard multiple times people getting bad gas from the pump.

yes theres an oil filter and I'm ASSUMING its 10 micron, its original one.  have to double check weather 10 micron.   I did check the oil when back at dock and that looked next to brand new as well...golden in color.  I figured if black or really dirty perhaps other issues, but does not seem to be case.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 10:49:43 PM »
What does RPM reduction mean?

RPM reduction is a mode within the engine warning system. RPM reduction is when the engine forces a reduction of rpm during operation. This can be caused by a couple of reasons: an overheating of the engine or the oil system has a loss of oil pressure (four-stroke models) or low oil level (two-stroke models). RPM reduction is used as a safety measure to try and protect the engine but also to continue to provide mobility in case it is needed. Your RPM will be gradually reduced down to approximately 2000 rpms. The engine should run fine below 2000 rpms but will run very rough if you try to accelerate beyond 2000 rpms. Smaller horsepower engines, like an F2.5 or F4, may not come with a warning system, or have limited warning system protection.

I would suggest having the dealer hook it up to the Yamaha Diagnostic Computer program to have a look at what infromation it may hold. It's under warranty, so take advantage of it to protect your purchase, unless you have 3 grand to just go out and buy another one. 
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 06:52:14 AM »
Any Ethanol issue is NOT covered under warranty. And yes it does sound carb related. Install a spin-on fuel/water separating filter for additional protection if you don't have one. And yes I've seen this scenario many times before.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline DJ76

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 08:08:04 AM »
Any Ethanol issue is NOT covered under warranty. And yes it does sound carb related. Install a spin-on fuel/water separating filter for additional protection if you don't have one. And yes I've seen this scenario many times before.

Once again Matt...thanks a bunch!!!    chrz chrz chrz

You've already helped out on my 9.9 merc motor issues last fall!!!   greatly greatly appreciated.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline DJ76

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 10:16:05 AM »

went out and got the items to try and clean out my carb...muffs carb cleaner and high octane fuel.  I also purchased an in line water seperator.  i do have a question though....i often swap between my 9.9 two stroke and 20 4 stroke on the boat.  I'm assuming i can't use the same water seperator for the straight gas and mixture????
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »
yeah your only filtering water from gas.  however do not run sf through the two stroke it will cut the oil

Offline DJ76

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 05:23:50 PM »
yeah your only filtering water from gas.  however do not run sf through the two stroke it will cut the oil

k thanks!
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline DJ76

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »
finally got to addressing this issue.  got two gallons of high octane fuel and mixed with 8 ounces of sea foam. ran the motor for about five/ten minutes and let sit for another five or so minutes.  started back up and let run for another twenty thirty minutes.  did noticed some black smoke coming out of the exhaust that i have never seen before...not sure if that was the sea foam or something else.

this morning we emptied the original fuel that was in the tank and put in 6 of 89 octane and took her out to the delaware river.  Ran up and down the section of river on fuel throttle for 20-30 minutes.  right up on plane and maintained engine rpm no problem.  so seems like whatever it was (bad gas, water in fuel, dirty injector, etc.) is gone.

Plane on going out for some fluke tomorrow around six out of leonardo.  so i'll keep my fingers crossed and see how she goes.  thanks again for everyone chiming in chrz
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 01:16:04 PM »
 clp  Good for you D   clp

Best 2 U and tyours

IKAT---The other D

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-