Author Topic: Man missing in Long Island waters after boating accident.  (Read 4366 times)

Offline njbob49

• Cod caught on the "Stick"
Man missing in Long Island waters after boating accident.
« on: June 23, 2012, 06:24:17 PM »
I just saw this on the SL website.

WEST ISLIP, N.Y. — A high-performance catamaran, billed by its manufacturer as being capable of "tear-duct-draining" speed, crashed into the side of a motor yacht off Long Island's southern coast early Saturday in a wreck that may have cost a man his life.

Rescuers searched the waters of the Great South Bay throughout the day for a boater who was flung from the vessel struck by the speedboat, a 25-foot Skater. Divers, aircraft, and boats from multiple public safety agencies were participating in the search.
Suffolk County Police said the man piloting the speedboat was charged with boating while intoxicated. His name wasn't immediately released.

The Coast Guard said the crash happened at about 4:50 a.m., about a half hour before sunrise, just west of the Robert Moses causeway near West Islip.

Authorities said the Skater capsized after striking the other craft, a 38-foot Hatteras. Its pilot and passenger were thrown into the water. They were later hospitalized with minor injuries.

The Hatteras, a sport fishing yacht made in 1967, was badly damaged and began to sink. One of the five people board fell overboard and vanished. The other four were uninjured.

Sobbing relatives of the missing man waited for hours on the bridge, watching the search.

The Coast Guard was asking boaters to stay away from the area while the search is under way.

Suffolk police said they were investigating how fast the speedboat was traveling before the wreck. Some models of the craft are capable of speeds exceeding 100 mph.

Tight Lines,
Bob G  chrz slt

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Man missing in Long Island waters after boating accident.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 06:30:24 PM »
 nosmly

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 07:21:11 PM »
I see no fun in that.. I hope someone will be held accountable for this >:(

Online Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »
 nosmly

Body Of Fisherman Found Following Extensive Search Off L.I.’s Southern Coast

June 23, 2012 4:32 PM

WEST ISLIP, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) - Rescuers say that they have found the body of a man who plunged into the sea after two boats collided off Long Island’s southern coast.

The Coast Guard said that the crash happened at about 4:50 a.m. on Saturday in the Great South Bay, just west of the Robert Moses Causeway near West Islip.

A catamaran struck a 35-foot recreational boat and capsized. The two people on the catamaran were hospitalized. There is no word on the condition of those in the hospital.

The mother of one fisherman told CBS 2′s Rachel Stockman that the quick thinking of the fishing boat’s operator saved even more lives from being lost.

“My son said at the very last second they were able to whip the bpat, otherwise they would have been totally broad sided. God only know what would happen, this way they only hit the back, but the poor kid was in back,” said Laura Galante.

The man, identified as Christopher Mannino, 39, of West Islip, fell off the recreational fishing vessel — which had four others aboard — and disappeared. The four others were rescued safely.

“[Mannino] was ejected during the collision,” Eric Dawson of the Coast Guard told 1010 WINS. “We’re assisting Suffolk County in the search of this person in the water.”

Mannino’s family  stood on the bridge above the Robert Moses Causeway throughout the search, crying and looking up to the air to pray.

“He was a fisherman, a boater,” the father-in-law of the victim told WCBS 880′s Sophia Hall. “[It's hard] being up here watching.”

Mannino’s wife was screaming to the rescue workers in the boats below, hollering, “Please, he is my life! He is my life! Please find him!”

The Coast Guard said that divers and an aircraft participated in the search.

The operator of the skater boat that collided with Mannino’s boat has been identified as Brian Andreski, 26, of Dix Hills. Andreski is in the hospital and has been charged with Boating While Intoxicated.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 03:58:21 PM »
 nosmly should also be charged with 5 counts off attempted manslaughter and 1 count of manslaughter. I dont see how its fun or safe to be flying around on the water in the dark :-\
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-