Author Topic: braided line  (Read 1725 times)

Offline flukeydukie

• Full Member of the Den
braided line
« on: July 26, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »
ive always used mono but i am starting to use braid. is it best to use a mono or flurocarbon leader or does it matter also can fiah see the red braid easier if not then why use a leader?

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: braided line
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 08:15:07 PM »
Always use a leader.. Line is strong.. but Gill plates can cut it like butter.. Mono is fine..

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
 whs

Also a topshot of mono will give you something to hold onto when you go to leader a fish that won't slice your hand wide open, and makes a weak point to break off when you get snagged on something, ultimately saving your more expensive braid. I have 65lb power pro, with a 30lb topshot of mono about 8 foot long.

If your worried about mono vs flouro, just tie your actual rigs out of flouro, and you'll be fine.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:19:39 PM by Reel Time »
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 08:34:05 PM »
 whs

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 08:37:53 PM »
whs

Also a topshot of mono will give you something to hold onto when you go to leader a fish that won't slice your hand wide open, and makes a weak point to break off when you get snagged on something, ultimately saving your more expensive braid. I have 65lb power pro, with a 30lb topshot of mono about 8 foot long.

If your worried about mono vs flouro, just tie your actual rigs out of flouro, and you'll be fine.

I have a shot top shot on my 50# braid. I lost rigs left and right yesterday fishing.... Never broke the knot joining the brad/mono. Saves time re-tying as mono is easier to work with.

A double uni know works well. If joining your braid to much thicker mono you can tie a bimini twist in the braid to help 'thicken' it up a little to tie to the mono easier.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 06:06:11 AM »
 wts keep you top shot and leader at a length relative to the depth your fishing if you have a 15' top shot and a 3' leader and fishing 20' of water, your using mono because you didnt peel off any braid yet, Mono works fine but fluro is a little more resistant to chafing and in some cases hold knots better
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-