Author Topic: Ocean City, NJ 8-2 thru 8-6  (Read 3565 times)

Offline FlukinCrazy

• Full Member of the Den
Ocean City, NJ 8-2 thru 8-6
« on: August 07, 2012, 11:19:48 AM »
Hello there everybody. I never see any fishing reports up here for south jersey so I figured I'd add my experience from this past weekend on vacation with the fam.

Thurs. 8-2: Rented a couple rods and took my younger cousin, Gabby, fishing in the bay right off the 9th street pier. Fishing was pretty terrible, but it was nice to get her out of the house to experience something different.

Fri. 8-3: My father, uncle and I went out on the North Star out of 3rd and Bay Ave to hit the Ocean City reef for some fluke. Between us we only picked up four keepers up to ~3lbs. Very sticky bottom - spent more time retying then catching, unfortunately. The boat as a whole did very well though: lots of keeper flounder, sea bass and triggers. 4.5lb fluke won the pool.

Sun. 8-5: Took my dad crabbing out in the bay down around 55th street. We ended up boating 14 keepers and throwing back a TON of little guys and gals. Not a huge haul by any means, but we had lots of fun playing the numbers game - I won with 5 in one trap  ;D

Mon. 8-6: Took my brother back out on the North Star hoping to hit some of the same action from Friday (this time much better prepared with pre-tied rigs for easy changing.) The morning trip was cancelled due to weather and, unbeknownst to me, the 1 o'clock trip was in the bay... Needless to say, fishing was craptacular. We each landed a sand shark and I caught a minnow-sized sea bass. Everyone I talked to said the bay bite has been really slow due to the sudden increase in water temp and the fish moving out into the depths. Turns out...they weren't lying.

Offline FlukinCrazy

• Full Member of the Den
Re: Ocean City, NJ 8-2 thru 8-6
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:21:27 AM »
Not the proudest of achievements in my fishing career, but it was nice to finallyget back out on the salt and away from the hell that is my work life.  TT^

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »
  clp nice report!!! Sounds like no matter what you had a good time with your family! That is important, and catching fish too!!  ;D Good pull on the crabbing too!!! Do you ever live line or do you always use a trap? I personally like the lines, the fact of a lil more of a challenge and it keeps my boat deck a bit cleaner too!  :P 

Offline FlukinCrazy

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:35:24 AM »
Yea, it was just my dad and I on a 14ft jon boat. We each had one trap and one hand line working. The only thing missing was a pack of lifesavers to make it a true father-son bonding moment  ;)

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:39:41 AM »
  rofla that was cute.... 

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 12:34:27 PM »
Good report. I have been very curious as to why this site doesn't draw more attention from down south  :headscra:

It's a shame that the economy has turned the North Star into a 1/2 boat. Say what you will about the original owner, Paul Barrus.... there was a time where no one could out fish that boat when it came to wreck species.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline FlukinCrazy

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 03:31:38 PM »
Friday was the first time I've ever fished off the North Star before, so I'm unaware of any beef other folks may have with the old captain. I can only speak from my Friday experience, which was a good one. The crew were very friendly and helpful and the captain put us on the fish. What more can you ask for?

The 3 hour, 1pm bay trip.........don't even get me started. Nothing against the crew or the ship, but I need a crisis counselor...

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »
Friday was the first time I've ever fished off the North Star before, so I'm unaware of any beef other folks may have with the old captain. I can only speak from my Friday experience, which was a good one. The crew were very friendly and helpful and the captain put us on the fish. What more can you ask for?

The 3 hour, 1pm bay trip.........don't even get me started. Nothing against the crew or the ship, but I need a crisis counselor...

Glad they put you on the fish. The last I heard it was Paul's son running the boat. They were always known for putting people on the fish.

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 05:12:01 PM »
 t^...Nice report..Thanks....
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »
What did 3 hours of fishing cost  5hrug
Seems that many Capt. just burn out and give up Sad but true. 

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 08:40:20 PM »
What did 3 hours of fishing cost  5hrug
Seems that many Capt. just burn out and give up Sad but true. 

It's the economy and fishing regulations... When I worked the North Star as a kid you went on a 8 hour bottom fishing trip and it cost in the $45 range. That crew, like many other boats worked their asses off and if you weren't catching fish you stayed out late. If you were catching fish you stayed out late. It's unfortunate thet fuel, insurance, bait, etc is through the roof and these guys have to resort to 3 or hour trips for the same money people used to get for an 8 hour trip. These are the same conditions that cause some really good boat captains make some bad desicsions and poach, dump, keep live fish (like Paul allegedly did), etc. The times are not the same.....

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-