Author Topic: From todays Star Ledger  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
From todays Star Ledger
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:16:06 PM »

Half full party boats at Atlantic Highlands reflects a decline in the recreational fishing industry.

http://videos.nj.com/star-ledger/2012/08/half_full_party_boats_at_atlan.html
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: From todays Star Ledger
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 03:25:10 PM »
Those are the boats that don't have good Web Sites that produce customers ;D

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:27:47 PM »
Those are the boats that don't have good Web Sites that produce customers ;D

rofla

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 03:37:27 PM »
I was just talking to Capt. Ron Senior about this on Tuesday. I recalled how in the 80's the boat was packed every day with guy's in their 20's and 30's and how now the crowd is mostly older and there are a lot less people on the boat. Where is the future of this industry? I'm in favor of kid's under 12 years old allowed on board for free.I know, easy for me to say.

Reasons are mentioned in the story, but they didn't make clear how many beautiful fish that are 17" with thick fillets that would make a terrific meal are thrown away, maybe to die from being hooked deep.

All of us here who love the sport should try to fish on these boats as often as we can, if it is affordable to us of course. I go at least once a week, more if I can.

The main problem is the government, of course. I don't know how the boats in NY are able to survive with the regulations they have. But money talks, the commercial guys take tons of undersize fish, and the party boat owners pay the price.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:40:46 PM by Mr Limpett »
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »
I was just talking to Capt. Ron Senior about this on Tuesday. I recalled how in the 80's the boat was packed every day with guy's in their 20's and 30's and how now the crowd is mostly older and there are a lot less people on the boat. Where is the future of this industry? I'm in favor of kid's under 12 years old allowed on board for free.I know, easy for me to say.

I was just talking to my partner about the same thing. It doesn't look like the younger crowd is doing the fishing. Even look at the members here. How many members are under 30? Yes we do have some, but not many.

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 03:59:20 PM »
I think the fishing industry is feeling the same pinch as any recreational industry right now.

Let's face it, between gas, food and fares, it's a pretty expensive day. Factor in having to pay for a couple of kids and it gets out of reach quickly.

If you dd up the cost of owning and maintaining a boat then it gets very expensive.

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »
 5hrug..Its a shame but the younger generation is happy to be inside and fish electronically, only us older folks truly enjoy the hunt and the labor to boat and fish. Just my observation from my two boys, 19 & 15...America is in a lot of trouble with this next generation thud
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 06:54:21 PM »

Let's face it, between gas, food and fares, it's a pretty expensive day. Factor in having to pay for a couple of kids and it gets out of reach quickly.

Great point...and now that it's been pointed out I agree...not many young guns on the boats these days..

Here's and idea for the head boats....

Have a kids day or maybe two a week...Dad pays full fare and kids under say 12 or 15 ( pick a number ) ride and fish for free....this way Dads are more apt to bring their kids along giving them exposure to the sport of fishing while not burning their wallets in the process...in so doing they would be cultivating their potential future clients...

Just a thought.....

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 09:50:25 AM »
 I highly doubt the fish regs have anything to do with the decline in party boat goers.

I believe its all about the money. family of 4 togo out on a head boat is hitting what?,, over 100 bucks? you can go to the supper market and get a bag of fillets for 20.

Most are a reduced rate for kiddies,,, but still, 30 bucks??? come on, get real.

times are tough all over right now, welcome to the club of the poor and humble
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 10:50:32 AM »
Its all because of computers and video games kids dont even leave the hpuse anymore
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 10:57:07 AM »
Its all because of computers and video games kids dont even leave the hpuse anymore

Yup
Ask any boy the age of 21 or less if they played cowboys and Indians or built a fort or tree house when they were younger and I bet most of them would say no.
All summer long you don't see any kids playing outside. Back in my day we out all day long.

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline DJ76

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 11:11:56 AM »

I take offense to this comment.

I believe blame should be placed on the parents...after all we are in charge aren't we??? :headscra:  Limit your kids playing time on the pc or Wii or whatever...better yet... GO DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    My son asked me last night if he can go to the range today.  My answer, sure, after chores.  So later today we are driving to the range so he can plunk metal targets with his henry 22.  Earlier this week he asked to do a little freshwater fishing...guess what...i took him.  let him drive the boat (elec only) real small pond in pennsy.  He loves baseball, I make sure i get my fat arse into the backyard and throw some balls around and let him bat.

Don't mean to sound angry but IMHO we are pointing the fingers at the "kids" when in fact they are supposed to be "raised" by a family. Try pointing the fingers at the parents to get off there lazy butts and do something.  Here is a novel concept...instead of working 60-70-80 hours a week so you can live in the fancy house and drive that mercedez you get a job working 40 and spend more time with the family...but you drive around in your honda civic and have 3-4 less rooms in your home.

okay, i'm done with my rant fcp
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »

I take offense to this comment.

I believe blame should be placed on the parents...after all we are in charge aren't we??? :headscra:  Limit your kids playing time on the pc or Wii or whatever...better yet... GO DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    My son asked me last night if he can go to the range today.  My answer, sure, after chores.  So later today we are driving to the range so he can plunk metal targets with his henry 22.  Earlier this week he asked to do a little freshwater fishing...guess what...i took him.  let him drive the boat (elec only) real small pond in pennsy.  He loves baseball, I make sure i get my fat arse into the backyard and throw some balls around and let him bat.

Don't mean to sound angry but IMHO we are pointing the fingers at the "kids" when in fact they are supposed to be "raised" by a family. Try pointing the fingers at the parents to get off there lazy butts and do something.  Here is a novel concept...instead of working 60-70-80 hours a week so you can live in the fancy house and drive that mercedez you get a job working 40 and spend more time with the family...but you drive around in your honda civic and have 3-4 less rooms in your home.

okay, i'm done with my rant fcp

whs  clp
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline DJ76

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »
As for the party boats...i'm real down on them for a few reasons. They are charging say 60 or so dollars for average fishing at best. Maybe its me, but never had much luck on party boats.  You need to get there an hour early just to get a decent spot, chances are you are fishing next to someone who has no clue what they are doing and you'll spend more time untangling than fishing, captains seem to have their "spots" and they are going to them whether or not the fish are there or are biting.

as for bringing kids on there.  BIG BIG BIG waste of money.  My 8yo loves to fish, but he can't stand party boats.  little to no action, equipment is way to cumbersome for him to handle (not to mention right hand reel only), and the rails are so high they can't see what he is doing.  What fun is reeling a fish in if the only time you see it is when the mate gaffs it or nets it.  Not to mention all the tangles he creates as a result of his lack of experience.  on top of all this I'm paying 40-45 dollars for him to have a miserable day.  I've tried 3 different party boats in the past year.  its a no go for kids.
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 11:58:52 AM »
Beleive me I agree 100% I do somerhing with my son everyday  Im not at work. What Im saying is when I was an adolecent, couldnt  wait for summer  fishing crabbing whatever. But  I have seen a real change in the youth. My friends brother know17 hasnt left the computer chair all summer , they  have a boat kayak fishing stuff everything. Just he has no desire to do anything but play the game. I asked him the other day dont you  want to go out and hang with your friends?. He said I am everyone of his friends was on there computer thats what they call hanging out. Ever see a couple kids playing stickball and after an hour 3 pitches were thrown because the were on there phones the entire time.  As a generation these lids are conaumed with games and have no desire to enjoy the outdoors. I dont lnow guess its the times
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-