Author Topic: Barnegat Bay In Danger of Dying  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Barnegat Bay In Danger of Dying
« on: August 13, 2012, 10:47:57 PM »
Scientist sounds warning on Barnegat Bay

Monday, August 13, 2012
Associated Press

LAVALLETTE — A marine scientist has sounded the alarm over the worsening health of Barnegat Bay, one of New Jersey's most used recreational waterways and the source of $3 billion in annual tourist dollars.

Michael Kennish of the Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences at Rutgers told lawmakers Monday that the bay is in danger of dying from unchecked runoff. The pollution sources include broken stormwater basins and too much fertilizer flowing into the bay. The pollution, which decreases oxygen levels in the water, causes algae blooms and habitat loss.

Kennish, who co-authored a just-finished, multiyear study of the bay, said the waterway needs urgent attention. The study, considered a definitive assessment of the bay's ecosystems, found worsening conditions in all parts of the waterway, not just the most heavily populated northern portion.

"This study paints a rather bleak picture of the ecological health of the Barnegat Bay-Little Egg Harbor Estuary," Kennish told members of the Senate and Assembly Environmental committees, which held a joint hearing in Lavallette.

The bay area covers more than 42 miles of shoreline from the Point Pleasant Canal in the north to Little Egg Harbor Inlet in the south and is protected from the open ocean by a system of barrier beaches, wetlands and dunes.

"This bay needs help now," said Sen. Bob Smith, a Middlesex County Democrat who heads the Senate panel.

The Democrat-led Legislature passed legislation requiring changes to fertilizer composition that are designed to slow the release of chemicals into the bay, but Smith said more aggressive steps to stem nitrogen and phosphorous runoff have been blocked by the Christie administration.

The governor conditionally vetoed a bill that would have created stormwater utilities, allowing a central repository for funds dedicated to repairing malfunctioning storm basins. Kennish said just 10 stormwater basins out of 2,700 are being repaired as part of a pilot project; Republican Gov. Chris Christie said the issue needed more study.

Smith called the slow pace of basin repairs "a disaster," and said more money needs to be devoted to the project. He said as much as $100 million would be needed over the next decade or two.

Environmentalists also want the state to move forward with a pollution control mechanism known as TMDL — or Total Maximum Daily Load — which would allow the state's environmental regulators to monitor and control the amount of nitrogen and phosphorous flowing into the bay.

The Department of Environmental Protection did not immediately return a message for comment Monday.

Also Monday, the legislators heard testimony on the effects of plastic bags and other floatables on the state's water bodies and sea life.

They were told the lack of plastic bag recycling programs and incentives exacerbate the problem and place greater stresses on the state's landfills.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/environment/Scientist_sounds_warning_on_Barnegat_Bay.html?page=all

Offline captainbailey

Re: Barnegat Bay In Danger of Dying
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 11:10:06 PM »
Unfortunately, just a typical case of politics getting in the way of things. rgmn

I wonder what it would be like to live a world where storm drains that need repairing would just be repaired.  :headscra:
Z

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:54:05 AM »
A 3billion a year industry and 100 mill to fix it I dont see how this isnt already approved, Maybe when the  3 billion goes to 3 dollars big brother will help nosmly
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 03:47:56 AM »
 Some how they have to increase the flow. I think I read somewhere it takes 30 days or long for it to do a complete change.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 06:36:02 AM »
Let's hope the problem is  corrected quickly
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 04:34:45 PM »
What do places that have no bays and oceans empty their storm drains? Let's do that!
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 06:56:46 PM »
What do places that have no bays and oceans empty their storm drains? Let's do that!

In local streams and rivers I think....that just runs to the bays and ocean anyway.... nosmly

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 07:23:25 PM »
 nosmly Not good.

Over development and the need for green lawns along the shores 5hrug
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 07:25:51 PM »
 whs

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »
Some how they have to increase the flow. I think I read somewhere it takes 30 days or long for it to do a complete change.

I agree with this too.  I know overbite won't agree, but the reason I feel the Raritan is relatively safe to eat seafood is the fact it changes water completely in a manner of hours.  The Barnegat essentially have 2 small outlets to flow all that water, so all the toxins tend to linger longer rather than being washed out.  Sooner or later though LBI is going to be gone and nature will take care of itself.  My mother grew up in LBI and my grandfather ran a marina on the island 50-60 years ago.  Back in those days she would tell me how it was such a long walk from the beginning of the beach to the water.  Now you can practically jump from the beginning of the beach into the water.  There's going to be a ton of money thrown at stopping it from happening but I honestly believe LBI is going to be gone or at least significantly diminished by the time I'm an old man.  That will solve all of the Barnegat's problems.   5hrug
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline FishOn

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 08:28:37 PM »
Been saying it for years, let seaside heights wash away and let the inlet that used to be there reform. 
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 09:07:33 PM »

Rivers, streams, and lakes.   fcp
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 10:23:23 PM »
Been saying it for years, let seaside heights wash away and let the inlet that used to be there reform.  

The old Cranberry Inlet that was in northern Seaside park??

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:27:12 PM by Kenny »

Offline FishOn

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »
Yeh. From what I understand ships used to sail in and head up the toms river to load up with cranberries and other what nots
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 11:30:52 PM »
Yeh. From what I understand ships used to sail in and head up the toms river to load up with cranberries and other what nots

I sure miss them what nots yum
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-