Author Topic: Motor won't start  (Read 5699 times)

Offline Baitwaster

Motor won't start
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:22:37 AM »
Was out on AC reef two weeks ago and my sterndrive froze up, it gradually just came to a stop., It did start about four or five more times then just cranked till the batteries were dead. I did find a new sterndrive for $400.00 that looks like it has about two hundred hrs. on it t^ even came with the prop and trim cylinders. Went down yesterday and put it on then the motor wouldn't start to save it's ass. rgmn It had spark,fuel, cranked over good and even chased a few times after having to replace the starter of course rgmn Looked at the distributor cap and rotor and they are ok, put it at TDC and the rotor was lined up right, and checked for water in the fuel.The motor has about five hrs. on it since a complete rebuild, it ran like a clock before the sterndrive problem so I am stumped! Gonna put a timing light on it I guess then go from there. Any suggestions 5hrug

Thanks in advance Matt hhppy
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:28:05 AM by Baitwaster »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Motor won't start
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »
Sounds like your missing something very simple...

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
fuel and spark and wont start :headscra: if the timing was off you would be getting aome sort of ignition or backfire . Is there smoke coming from the carb after you turn it over?did you flood it out? How do you know your getting fuel can you see it spraying into the carb? did you check your voltage at the batts. take a multi meter to the coil with the key in the on positio  you should be geting 12.2-12.4 volts. Have someone turn the key while metering the coil If your getting less than 12volts on start you may have a voltage drop out issue. There is also the shift interupt switch that can go bad and not allow a start. what  dizzy do you have on it. some setups a bad tach or a short at the tack will stop ignition also.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Duffman

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 01:06:07 PM »
You said the O/D seized up while running?  How did the coupler survive?  Should  have been toast if the O/D locked up? No?

When you replaced the drive, did you mess with the shift cable?  Check the shift interrrupt switch.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:25:46 AM »
If you have spark that tells me shift and kill switches are good. Fuel and timing are good ,the only thing I can think of is compression, did you check it?
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:47:06 AM »
Try some starting fluid in the carb. :headscra:
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 09:58:34 AM »
I think it needs more bait  ;D  Sounds like you did alot of trouble shooting already. Compression fuel and spark should start it up. Timing has nothing to due with drive unit seizing. Go back and double check everything.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 12:00:12 PM »

Ck your compression first...if that's good check your plugs...you might just be flooded...

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 09:03:10 PM »
I went out today and put a light on it, timing was dead nuts on. Pulled the plugs and saw rust cfzd Water in the fuel without a doubt! A shot of W-D 40 and a bit of starting fluid in each cylinder,A set of new plugs and a turn of the key.. clp Of course like ten bottles of dry gas. And I plan on changing the fuel/water separator before the water makes it to the float bowl this time. Was just bad timing to have a sterndrive go bad and a shot of water go through all at the same time (IRISH) I did suspect it while down on the reef but the water was already in the float bowl so changing the filter out there was too little too late. smk

Thanks for all the input everybody!! I hope to be waiting bait very soon! t^ 

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 09:27:07 PM »
glad it was simple. I know its mpre exspenive but get the fuel filter with the glass bowl it will let you see if theres water and let you drain it easily.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 08:53:16 PM »
Thanks. Gonna get a couple actually chrz

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 09:06:15 PM »
 t^

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 11:22:37 AM »
glad it was simple. I know its mpre exspenive but get the fuel filter with the glass bowl it will let you see if theres water and let you drain it easily.
Al, I know you recommended this with all good intentions but just for info, it is illegal to have a Plastic bowl on a fuel/water seperator inside an enclosed engine compartment as where most are located on Inboard motor set-ups as per USCG and ABYC regs. The use of a Metal bowl with drain is allowed. Some years back, MerCruiser did have an engine mounted fuel filter [ not water separating ] with a Glass bowl with a metal retaining strap of some kind that secured a paper type replaceable element inside that glass. The ones I serviced it seems rarely got replaced due to there hard to access locations and would leak when re-assembled due to corrosion on 1 part or another.
If changing a fuel filter while at sea, make sure you have a sealed container to put the old one in along with any rags, diapers and such and make sure there is NO fumes present when re-starting that engine  or there may be no second chance. 

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 09:37:10 PM »
Matt I did not know that thanks for the info

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-