Author Topic: starboard engine  (Read 4539 times)

Offline workingdog

starboard engine
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:49:54 AM »
Whenever i got to start the engines the Port side starts right away but the Star. side takes longer to kick over. I have to prime it with the throttle to get it to start. Sounds like gas isn't getting in right away to start. After it's started and warmed up i can turn it off and start all day without a problem. It's just the initial starting. And that side burns a little more fuel then the port side. Any Ideas?

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Re: starboard engine
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 10:10:15 AM »
Check to see if you're getting fuel into the carb during initial fire up. Check the filters (spin on), inline (if you have one), and if there is a screen in the carb itself. It really sounds like a choke issue maybe. I've had the choke arm on my engine come off - the clip that holds it is a POS.

Not sure why it would burn a little more unless you're not running at matched RPM's?

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »
priming with the throttle is pretty common.  how do you know your burning more fuel in the on engine? If you definately are its either going to be the throttle adjustment, the idle adjust screw, or just tuned a little richer than the other none of them are really a big problem. what carbs do you have? qjets are notorious for bad seals and the gas gos into the bowl not a big deal just at start up.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:43:54 PM »
Just FYI guys

This may be theory but on a twin screw or outboards
The Starboard engine will burn more--This is due to the torque and counter rotating props--I have done this on the IKAT--and have the option of changing tanks from starboard to port--When I did this the port tank used more on the starboard engine then the starboard on the port tank--My gennie runs off my starboard and same results.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 03:46:11 PM »
Just FYI guys

The Starboard engine will burn more--This is due to the torque and counter rotating props--I have done this on the IKAT--and have the option of changing tanks from starboard to port--When I did this the port tank used more on the starboard engine then the starboard on the port tank--My gennie runs off my starboard and same results.

Seems logical....

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 03:51:44 PM »
Just FYI guys

Seems logical....

YEA Fred I have often wondered if the AUSSIES are just the opposite.Since when they flush the toilet it spins in the opposite direction from north of the equator

OH yea--Like gun barrels --right twist --left twist
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:54:08 PM by IKAT »

Offline workingdog

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 03:44:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies  ;D It sounds like it's not getting fuel in the beggining. i have changed the fuel filter (spin) and one that's in a line connecting to the motor. It's nothing major was just wondering. I know the star burns more then the port because i will fill them both up, run the boat and everytime i fill them up again the star. side takes more gas then the port.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
A cold hard start sounds like a choke problem to me...Make sure that when the engine is cold that after you hit the throttle the choke closes all the way...

Also want to check the accelerator pump to see if you get that little squirt in the carb to help richen up the mix on start up...

Also want to make sure the choke pulloff is working as well....

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 05:00:14 PM »
 whs if the pull off has a leak and looses vacuum it wont control the secondary's
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 05:07:11 PM »
 whs 

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 05:09:43 PM »
its about a 12 dollar part it sits on th right side of the carb looking at the aft. theres a little e clip thta holds the arm on DONT LOOSE it its a weird size. good luck keep us posted

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 10:20:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies  ;D It sounds like it's not getting fuel in the beggining. i have changed the fuel filter (spin) and one that's in a line connecting to the motor. It's nothing major was just wondering. I know the star burns more then the port because i will fill them both up, run the boat and everytime i fill them up again the star. side takes more gas then the port.

Each engine has it's own fuel tank? Or are you siphoning off both tanks?
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-