Author Topic: Daiwa Reel Issue  (Read 8459 times)

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
Daiwa Reel Issue
« on: September 18, 2012, 12:40:47 AM »
I purchased a Daiwa Saltist 30 LW Reel 2 years ago new. Used for stripers mostly fished it probably 20 times during those 2 years. Always washed it down after every use and oiled it just this spring. Well on one of my Bingo Ling trips this year the clutch was sticking and had a hard time engaging it. I sent to a certified Daiwa repair shop in N.J. and after almost 4 weeks was told it needed new clutch new spool ball bearing because everything was rusted inside. My question is has anyone here had any issues with Daiwa reels also. I find it hard to accept the fact it has gotten that bad after only 2 seasons of use.  I am having it shipped back to me from repair shop as it is, they said it would be 125.00 to repair when I can get a new one for 160.00. Thinking of contacting Daiwa customer service, something don't seem right.
Love the reel but hesitant to purchase another. Any input would be welcomed.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
Re: Daiwa Reel Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 05:52:28 AM »
Well I know Bob has said that just rinsing off and putting away isnt good. I would get the reel back and order the part and watch the video on you tube on how to change it. Theres story's  of bad news with all brands but you have to take into consideration the amount of reels that they make something faulty is going to slip through. All in all Daiwa has always made a pretty decent reel (depending).
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 06:44:03 AM »
Seems strange that they would make a reel ,from parts that can rust ,instead of stainless or a tough composit material ?

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:49:42 AM »
 although it sucks, its not surprising, my tld's bearing where pretty dry and void of grease, I got lucky with no rust on them.

i would get the reel back and search Alan Tani's sight for info to replace the bearings myself. Its a sight devoted to reel repairs and mods.

He also has bunches of parts, so a post from you may get you the bearings you need.

Alan Tani
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »
$125 for a new clutch and a ball bearing? :headscra:  If that's all that is wrong that price does not sound right. 

I recently replaced all the bearings (including the anti-reverse) and put a new aftermarket drag into Capt. Joe's Torium and the parts came to a little over $60. 

I would call Daiwa and see if they can help you out.  Alan Tani is great, but if you've never worked on a reel before you're probably better off just sending it back to Daiwa.

I can take a look at it if you like and let you know if it's all that bad.   If you're in Jackson, maybe we can meet up around the Brick area one day.  Let me know.  t^

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 04:47:55 PM »
Thanks guys, I called Daiwa customer service in California, left a message but have not heard back from anyone as of yet. Will also follow up on PM I got from IKAT.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 08:43:27 PM »
Everyone blames salt, I Blame Chinese Bearings!.

Last week a my Avet SXMC started grinding. Guess what? Bearings are NOT covered under the warranty. I can send it back to Avet, along with $39 for the Factory Screwing(they call it Factory Service), or order more Avet bearings and repair it myself. I was told by an Avet Dealer today, that he thinks Avet had some bad bearings, because the new/replacements have a seal on them. :headscra: :headscra: :headscra:

I'm contemplating aftermarket Stainless or Ceramic Bearings as a replacement. Oh yeah, this is my last Avet. I many Penn Reels, some dating back to the 40's, and not one of them has ever had a bad bearing.  clp
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 08:58:37 PM »
Unfortunately you are right, I have a few Penn reels at least 10 yrs old never had an issue with them internally but they are spinners not baitcaster like the one giving me problems. They use cheaper materials and charge you more.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:01:23 PM by Uncle Luna »
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Avet bearings are, and always have been, cheap quality.  The good news is that they are also cheap in price.  If you decide to go with aftermarket bearings, SmOoOth Drag has good quality SS ABEC 5 rated bearings for a fairly decent price.  Call or email Dawn and she can tell you if she has the bearings you need for that reel.

As far as spinners vs. conventionals, the design of a conventional makes it more prone to water intrusion and thus more prone to corrosion.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 09:33:57 AM »
Thanks Bob. I was thinking about aftermarket bearings, maybe even ceramic. The Avet replacements are $6 each, but I don't mind paying more for quality stuff.  Alans site has quite a few posts on Avet bearings.
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 11:38:59 AM »
Thanks Bob. I was thinking about aftermarket bearings, maybe even ceramic. The Avet replacements are $6 each, but I don't mind paying more for quality stuff.  Alans site has quite a few posts on Avet bearings.

The bearings were toast on the Avet I fixed for Joe last year.  But, then again, so were the bearings on his Torium.   nts

I have another Avet from him that I haven't opened yet, but probably needs bearings as well.  When I put the new ones in I will pack the non-spool bearings with grease.

As for ceramic bearings, I have not used them.  I have seen others (and probably A.T. himself) say they are not recommended for saltwater due to the fact that the cages are still made of stainless and can rust if not properly oiled.  And ceramic bearings do not work as well with a lot of oil or lube.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 01:27:02 PM »
Uncle Luna, I gave up on Daiwa reels 8 years ago when I realized they just don't stand up. They may  claim to be litghter but their not cheaper in the long run.
I'll keep and use an rebuilt my Penns.
Good luck wih your issue.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 03:57:52 PM »
too bad they dont have leftys
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 04:17:48 PM »
Uncle Luna, I gave up on Daiwa reels 8 years ago when I realized they just don't stand up. They may  claim to be litghter but their not cheaper in the long run.
[/quote

Your so right AJ they still never shipped me my reel back nor has the person I left a message with at Daiwa Customer Service called me back either . I will never purchase any of their products again.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 04:21:21 PM »
[/quote

Your so right AJ they still never shipped me my reel back nor has the person I left a message with at Daiwa Customer Service called me back either . I will never purchase any of their products again.

Did you try Chris At   ardentangler.org 

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 04:34:38 PM »
Ikat I am giving customer service until Friday then I will contact Chris Thanks again for the info.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 11:05:40 PM »
Ikat I am giving customer service until Friday then I will contact Chris Thanks again for the info.

Although he hasn't posted in quite a while, Chris is a member here.  He used to rep Shimano and then went over to Daiwa.  He should be able to help you out.

uncle Luma may I ask what made you buy a Daiwa Reel in the first place. Price. Looks. Feel. Recommended. Reviews. Past experience. Honest I am Not Busting. slt 

I know you're not asking me, but I'll answer anyway. ;D  I'm a big fan of Shimano reels, but I've owned quite a few from Daiwa over the years as well.  Daiwa, like Shimano, is a leading-edge company.  They have been responsible for a lot of great innovations over the years.

The difference between the two has always been their customer service at the corporate level.  Uncle Luna is seeing that first hand now.  Having said that, I would be surprised if Daiwa did not, eventually, make this right. t^

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 11:53:13 PM »
uncle Luma may I ask what made you buy a Daiwa Reel in the first place. Price. Looks. Feel. Recommended. Reviews. Past experience. Honest I am Not Busting. slt 

First Daiwa I ever owned, I purchased it online from Charkbait.com, I liked the looks of it, like the large single knob for reeling and also the ratio of line per crank 6.1 something like that. Price was reasonable 160.00. Other than that I was looking for a larger baitcasting reel. Was pleased with it casted nice no backlash until it crapped out.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 12:05:30 AM »

Although he hasn't posted in quite a while, Chris is a member here.  He used to rep Shimano and then went over to Daiwa.  He should be able to help you out.

I know you're not asking me, but I'll answer anyway. ;D  I'm a big fan of Shimano reels, but I've owned quite a few from Daiwa over the years as well.  Daiwa, like Shimano, is a leading-edge company.  They have been responsible for a lot of great innovations over the years.

The difference between the two has always been their customer service at the corporate level.  Uncle Luna is seeing that first hand now.  Having said that, I would be surprised if Daiwa did not, eventually, make this right. t^

Bob I am pretty much a go with the flow type of guy, but when I feel like I'm getting screwed I can be a real pain in the ass, they have not heard the last from Uncle Luna lol,and by the way if anyone ever needs repairs do not use the Newark Sinker Company in Pine Brook N.J. Had my reel for 3 weeks I called once a week to check up on it only to be told last Friday it wasn't worth fixing and the still have not shipped it back to me as of today.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 06:04:39 AM »
Bob I am pretty much a go with the flow type of guy, but when I feel like I'm getting screwed I can be a real pain in the ass, they have not heard the last from Uncle Luna lol,

I'm sure they haven't. TT^

And just to clarify my earlier comment. What I meant was:

The difference between the two has always been Daiwa's lack of customer service at the corporate level. 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-