Author Topic: Fuel problem  (Read 7364 times)

Offline Fightin Irish

• Photobucket
Fuel problem
« on: September 29, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »
Went out for a look around one moter started cutting down and by the time I got back into my slip the moters were only pushing 400 rpms and stalled out as I was backing into my slip. The fuel is old what can I do to refresh the fuel or do I need to pump it out which Is about 100 gallons. What should I do first I was thinking water absorb and octane booster
Tight Lines and Screaming reels

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
Re: Fuel problem
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 06:04:37 PM »
that will help best thing to do would be to dump it. If your going to try and save it use PLENTY of additives and top it off with fresh fuel
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Bottom Dweller

• FISH HARD OR GET OUT OF THE BOAT
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 07:40:37 PM »
Don't forget to change the filter t^
You can't catch'em from the couch. Can ya?

Skipper of the Slowski

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 07:56:44 AM »
Pull the fuel/water separator off and dump in clear jar. Check fuel condition. If phase separated there is no saving it with additives.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline Fightin Irish

• Photobucket
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 01:37:31 PM »
Thanks Matt when you say phase do mean I will see that it separated  fuel/ water.  I will change the filters as well
Tight Lines and Screaming reels

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »
Thanks Matt when you say phase do mean I will see that it separated  fuel/ water.  I will change the filters as well

Matt will chime in But yes you will see the separation.

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:07:37 PM »
I would recommend not dumping 100 gallons of fuel until you know that's your problem. 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 02:16:15 PM »
I would recommend not dumping 100 gallons of fuel until you know that's your problem. 
I dont know much, nosmly but I totally agree with this!!! $$$$$$$$ right down the drain. The guys on here will def have many suggestions on how to or what to do, you'll see. Good luck!!! I also agree with the filter, one time I wouldn't even turn over, changed out my filter and off I went!  slt 

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 02:25:44 PM »
I dont know much, nosmly but I totally agree with this!!! $$$$$$$$ right down the drain. The guys on here will def have many suggestions on how to or what to do, you'll see. Good luck!!! I also agree with the filter, one time I wouldn't even turn over, changed out my filter and off I went!  slt 

If there is separation DUMP the fuel--you are asking for problems if you dont. 400.00 compaired to new engines is cheap.Dumping 90 gallans now from a close friends boat sitting at my house for a year-even with additives IT IS SHOT-I WILL NOT USE IT IN ANYTHING!!!!!!!!

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »
even to start a fire :headscra:
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 05:08:51 PM »
How old is the fuel? I know I have water in my fuel but it isn't old fuel so I plan to get the boat to go down on the aft (This is where my sending unit is on the edge of the tank) gonna use a level to be sure, pull the sending unit and I'm gonna pump the water out from the bottom. The water/ wet fuel will be on the bottom. Can you access your tanks like that? I already topped it off with ultra and added four bottles of drygas AKA (snake oil) It didn't do anything!! rgmn Good luck.

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 10:14:11 AM »
How old is the fuel? I know I have water in my fuel but it isn't old fuel so I plan to get the boat to go down on the aft (This is where my sending unit is on the edge of the tank) gonna use a level to be sure, pull the sending unit and I'm gonna pump the water out from the bottom. The water/ wet fuel will be on the bottom. Can you access your tanks like that? I already topped it off with ultra and added four bottles of drygas AKA (snake oil) It didn't do anything!! rgmn Good luck.
Drygas? Never. Guess what it is? Alcohol. Same as Ethanol. Guess what it does?  No additives will " fix it ".

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 10:43:27 AM »
Thats correct as I kats picture shows.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-