Author Topic: Kayak Fishing After Sandy  (Read 4073 times)

Offline kayak1

• only at night
Kayak Fishing After Sandy
« on: January 07, 2013, 06:19:56 PM »
My Family has been in Lavallette now for over 50 year's and for me I have had 48 of those great years fishing the back bay and beach front from Point Pleasant to Island Beach State Park.

Looking back through the years over on the Island the beach would change a little each year with sand bars and deep cuts and the back bay never really changed all that much from year to year.

While fishing the surf you could look down and see the pier in Seaside and walk over the dunes along the beach.

I always had a good game plan when going out fishing the surf or bay......I always knew where to park my truck.....I always  knew what docks held fish and what street ends the residents would not mind me fishing at 3:00 am.

The last 2 months we have been working hard on the house in Lavallete to get the family back home......The drive over the bridge down Rt.35 is bad enough to see just what damage Sandy has done.

I have been looking over some aerial pictures from before the storm and after Sandy washed over the Island....and Its all gone.

So for 2013 and looking forward in life....I will enjoy what I have today.

Kayak-1

The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Kayak Fishing After Sandy
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 12:43:55 PM »
I hear you loud and clear Dave.  I have been in Toms River for 52 years now and have enjoyed living on a lagoon for many of those years.  It is going to be something new to venture out this Spring to see how things have changed.

I know you enjoy going out after dark and I can imagine what changes have taken place all over the bay. This year will be a year of getting to know an old friend all over again.  I am looking forward to getting back on the water but I am not looking forward to all the changes that have taken place.

They are talking about doing some dredging in the bay and I am just wondering how far they will go.  If they do it right and by right if they map the floor of the bay first to locate the debris and then clean up that mess first and then dredge the channels I can see the bay being a place where we can safely begin to boat again.  Time will tell.

Hoping to be able to get out with you one day this year.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:44:19 AM »
I was over the Mantoloking Bridge yesterday on my way down to Lavallette for the first time after the storm.....

The ride down Rt.35 going South I was blown away on the damage in Mantoloking and Normandy Beach.....

But what got me was the amount of sand that washed down from the ocean and is in the bay.....Some areas that had 2-3 feet of water are filled in sand.

These are the things you see on TV in other States......WOW.....Now I know just how they feel.

Kayak-1

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:09:36 PM »
I was told that Ortley Beach has a total of 50 homes that are missing.... along with the cars in the drivways....... I know in just Lavallette there is tons of foating wood and objects.

I'm not 100% sure what fishing is going to look like in the spring.

Kayak-1

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »
Going to be a lot of new structure in the bays and rivers due to the storm. There will be cuts and holes where there were no cuts and holes before. Debris will be plentiful. 'Be very careful' will be the catch phrase of the day.

Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:11:42 PM »
Read that Capt. Kris of Fish Stix hit a partially submerged house or the entire roof of the house, floating 3 miles out in the ocean this week.
All were OK and the boat is fine.

Be careful out there guys.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 10:30:33 PM »
It is going to be an eerie feeling to be on the bay this summer.  I for one am looking forward to get back on the bay but apprehensive as to what I will find out there.

The fish finder will be working overtime that is for sure.  I wonder if the DEP is going to use satellite's to find the debris in the bay or rely on side scan sonar to locate things like cars and boats that might be in the deeper channels.

I am sure this summer will be very trying for everyone.  Patience is the word I would use for now.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Floatsup

• kayak sails
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:18:08 PM »
I usually don't head out south, but I'll let you know how Long Branch - Seabright - Highlands area go. I'm so jonesing to go out, just too cold for me.

Floats Out

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 05:12:22 PM »
Unless you have a dry suit going out now would be foolish anyway.  I will wait till the water begins to warm up a bit before venturing out for this old guy.

Plus I have to clean up the boats before I can use them again.  Sandy made a pretty good mess of them as I had to wait till they removed some trees for me to get to them.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Floatsup

• kayak sails
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 05:19:13 PM »
I hear you Paul. I do have a dry pants, and a decent top, but still, you get your hands wet, or a wave to the face funtime goes right out the window. LOL Anyways cheers guys.

Floats Out

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 05:57:37 PM »
Paul.... speaking about cleaning up the gear. I put the Yak in my garage along with my boat and trailer thinking it would be safe.

so we loaded the boat with things we didn't want to get wet if the water came up that high.

After the storm past and we made it back to Lavallette......I was so happy we put the the stuff in the boat to keep dry......Right.....Wrong everything in the boat got soaked. I never put the drain plug back in after washing it and pulling into the garage.

I just was not thinking that day.

Kayak-1

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 10:19:42 PM »
Stuff happens Dave.  Both our boats are fine as far as I can see.  So I think I will begin to get rid of the boredom and start the slow process of getting them ready for the season ahead.  I just about stripped everything off them for the winter so it will take some time to put things bace onto them.

I am not sure what to add this year as money is a bit tighter this year.  I'll see.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-