Author Topic: Fly Fishing Fresh and salt  (Read 3664 times)

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
Fly Fishing Fresh and salt
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:56:42 PM »
Any Inreest in a fourm subject for Fly fishing Fresh and Salt combined in one. Sharing and tips how too's. Tying. Where and how. Every thing for The Fly Guys.
What say you HotRod,  5hrug Bill

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: Fly Fishing Fresh and salt
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
 t^    That might be a nice forum..
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline sperzonkers2

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 04:38:56 PM »
 t^ Not sure how many here fly fish, but I use the fly rod quite  a lot in both fresh and salt water Might be a good form to add
Bill

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:44:13 PM »
Simple To Make t^

Offline DJ76

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 05:13:14 PM »
definately interest on my end.  wouldn't mind reading up and bit.  going to attempt to get into a little freshwater fly fishing this spring.
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 06:28:02 PM »
Thanks HoRod. plus it will keep me out of trouble.
I have a lot of resourses on Saltwater and matterials and tools as i posted before. and willing to share all. I do not Tye fancy stuff Mostly Clauser, Streamers, Deer hair stuff. Candys, and some Crease Flys. all Varied Colors and Materials. I used to set up sessions at the Fly Hatch Long gone, with Lefty the man. There is a sport shop I will check out that deals in fly fishing to see if they will host a work shop. More latter. all will be welcome Beginer to expert. And there is no need to go crazy Buying stuff a Basic set will do. And Fly fishing is Easy and fun . Bill

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »
I like to whip the air with the long rod sometimes too.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:29:07 AM »
Sounds like a good topic especially now during the winter as many of us that do tie are at the bench keeping busy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »
I always wanted to learn how to fly fish, and didn't know you could do it in salt. Well, that is I don't know anyone that did or does. I usually have seen it done on lakes in fresh water,  ;D

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 02:59:38 PM »
I always wanted to learn how to fly fish, and didn't know you could do it in salt. Well, that is I don't know anyone that did or does. I usually have seen it done on lakes in fresh water,  ;D

Most shy away from it, be it Cost. or intimidation or how purest explain it.
Cost is up to you on how much you want to spend A very good outfit is no more then a nice spinng outfit. Learing is in doing, again no big deal.
If you can cast you can cast a fly line I promise.
The most important part Is The Rod size for the size fish. goes buy weight Like a 10 WT rod has to have 10 WT line, The the type of line, Floating, sinking or inbetween. The Reel is of choice on how much money again. a good reel is needed for the Drag, after that its only a thing to hold the line. Cabelas has complete Setups I have some of the Rods and reels from them. they do the Job they are intened for. And Salt water Fly is very different then fresh. and a lot easyer. But as much fun. I will be glad to help you and anyone else get started, by you using my stuff to see if you want to continue, And then the first time you cast to a school of fish and hook up you to will be Hooked, Just do not be turned off by the hype of $$ or how too"s. Bill

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 05:29:58 PM »
Good post Bill.  Bill is exactly right.  The biggest reason most people decide not to go into fly fishing is because they are listening to a friend that might of heard from another friend that fly fishing was to hard and tedious to learn let alone catch fish off the surf.

Well, I was told all those myths long ago and I just shoved them aside and tried it and loved it.  I even tied my first big fly rod many years ago and still use it till this day.  It was a Fenwick blank to be used with 9WT line.  Just right for the sedge islands in back of IBSP.  That rod has caught more stripers and weakfish than most of my other rods.

Plus it is easy and not very expensive to tie saltwater flies/teasers.  There are a few of us on here that would love to teach you the basics and believe me it is not difficult at all.

If you are going to start to look for an outfit for salt Look at the outfits from 9 WT up.  Maybe 8 WT but not below that unless your into light tackle for the salt.

If you have questions just throw them out there and I am sure the opinions will begin to fly as the guys will come out of the woodwork with info galore.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 05:36:26 PM »
This is a great topic!  Sometime in the future, it is something I want to learn.  I will definitely enjoy reading these posts.

TT^

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 06:01:08 PM »
as long as you you've got a good assortment of flies and can keep your rod tip from smacking the top of the water,  It's not much more difficult than any other style of fishing.  I bought a cheap set for $40 and used to go all over with it.  Usually up to Ken Lockwood Gorge but haven't gone since they were rebuilding the access roads.  Still got about 20 flies that haven't seen water yet.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 10:08:18 AM »
One of my favorite places to fly fish is the back part of IBSP.  There are tons of flats back there with holes and cuts like you would not believe.  For the flats further out I use my kayak to get me out and then walk the flats.

I might have to start wearing some sort of foot protection though.  There is probably a lot of debris back there that can cut your feet to shreds. But still I will have to try and keep it going.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline sperzonkers2

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 12:22:14 PM »
I fish that same area that Paul is talking about. I fish from my 18ft sundance skiff. I use an 8wt fly rod in bay
with an intermediate sinking line. It is a slow sinking line about 1-2" per second but it will sink to the bottom if you wait or use a clouser minnow or jiggy fly.Both have weight added at the head of the fly. This set up allows you to fish the entire water column I have caught weaks, fluke blues, and stripers
Bill

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-