Author Topic: Friday February 8, 2013 Winter Storm/Nor'Easter  (Read 24596 times)

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
Re: Friday February 8, 2013 Winter Storm/Nor'Easter
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2013, 04:05:49 PM »

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2013, 04:11:54 PM »
Here in kenilworth it has been precipitating in one way or another since 6:20 am. theres apx 3" of covering on the ground between slush, sleet and snow temp has dropped 6 degrees since lunch and its just snow now. Good luck everyone
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Friday Late Afternoon Update
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2013, 04:28:46 PM »
The NWS has cancelled the Winter Storm Warning for Ocean and Burlington Counties and is lowering snowfall totals for any areas that have not changed over to snow yet.  I am not sure why they are being so fast on their nowcasting since we have not passed the time when rain was supposed to switch over to snow, the coastal low has intensified stronger than modeled at this point and has already partially phased with the clipper out of the upper Midwest.  However, there is a lack of cold air coming into the area at this time.  Upper Air Soundings at noon time show that there is only a small thousand foot pocket of cold air over 6300 feet in the atmosphere.  That is expected with a storm like this, though, and the cyclonic (counter-clockwise rotation) brings cold air from the northwest down into the storm.  This has yet to happen across most of the central and southern areas of NJ.  Snow has been steadily falling in NYC and Newark NJ and points north for several hours now.  The NWS has lowered snowfall totals for points south of Middlesex/Monmouth County border by 2 inches or so.  This is the big question here, whether cold air gets in, when and how much moisture is left to fall.  Areas have already picked up 2+ inches of rain, causing minor flash flooding and large amounts of pooling of water on roadways.  Winds have actually settled down under 40mph gusts, as well, as the stronger, windier side of the storm have already passed most of the Jersey Shore.  Minor to moderate coastal flooding is still expected around 2 feet above normal or a total of 7.0-7.5 total storm surge.

Like ChrisL said yesterday, we will know snowfall totals on Sunday ;D!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2013, 04:31:21 PM »
Still raining here in Lacey.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »
About  4" up here so far. Starting to come down hard now.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2013, 09:31:18 PM »
Snow just starting to come across the middle of the state.  This is actually the cold front that never completely phased with the coastal low and left us with mostly rain.  I am thinking most areas that did not get snow will only be in the 1-4 range tops with this.

Overall, I think this storm was a big bust!!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2013, 09:37:11 PM »
Just started sleeting here in the past hour.  If it continues like this it's going to be a heavy, slushy mess.  Just hope it doesn't bring down any power lines.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2013, 09:50:17 PM »
  And the same old same ol. For our area and beyound  With all the resourses available they will never predict Mother nature. When will they learn crying wolf causes people to ignor the warnings as many did with sandy. most even said they always say that and nothing happens I won't Leave. Also just heard another Noreaster coming This thursday. And they could not predict 5 hours ahead,
The FAGAWE Indians had a full proof way to tell the weather.  But it was lost as they were.
But all those Charts and graphs sure do look pretty
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:51:44 PM by overbite »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2013, 10:30:13 PM »
  And the same old same ol. For our area and beyound  With all the resourses available they will never predict Mother nature. When will they learn crying wolf causes people to ignor the warnings as many did with sandy. most even said they always say that and nothing happens I won't Leave. Also just heard another Noreaster coming This thursday. And they could not predict 5 hours ahead,
The FAGAWE Indians had a full proof way to tell the weather.  But it was lost as they were.

It was definitely not crying wolf!!  If this storm had hit and caused damage or death and people were not prepared or aware, there would be a lot of angry people.  The models and the meteorologists were spot on, minus the continual change in forecast.  The cold front was right where it should have been and the coastal low tracked where it needed to.  For NJ to get widespread accumulation that cold front needed to meet or beat the coastal low.  The cold front slowed to a crawl and the coastal low intensified rapidly and took off!  We had the moisture just not the cold air.  No one can complain about not getting 18 inches of snow, tree damage and loss of electricity!  Meanwhile, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts are getting there own beating right now.

As for next weekend, yes the models have hinted at a coastal storm for the last 2 runs.  It is out in fantasy land and anyone who leads you to believe they know what is happening, probably tried to sell you a bridge to Africa too!  It is something to watch, but way to early, what I call fantasy land, and is not even worth mentioning until there is model agreement and model trend as well as atmospheric conditions that agree with the models!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2013, 10:37:49 PM »
Always prepare for the worst and hope for the best. t^

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2013, 11:03:47 PM »

It was definitely not crying wolf!!  If this storm had hit and caused damage or death and people were not prepared or aware, there would be a lot of angry people.  The models and the meteorologists were spot on, minus the continual change in forecast.  The cold front was right where it should have been and the coastal low tracked where it needed to.  For NJ to get widespread accumulation that cold front needed to meet or beat the coastal low.  The cold front slowed to a crawl and the coastal low intensified rapidly and took off!  We had the moisture just not the cold air.  No one can complain about not getting 18 inches of snow, tree damage and loss of electricity!  Meanwhile, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts are getting there own beating right now.

As for next weekend, yes the models have hinted at a coastal storm for the last 2 runs.  It is out in fantasy land and anyone who leads you to believe they know what is happening, probably tried to sell you a bridge to Africa too!  It is something to watch, but way to early, what I call fantasy land, and is not even worth mentioning until there is model agreement and model trend as well as atmospheric conditions that agree with the models!

whs In all due respect If, Woulda. Mightof, Only if. My point is to many times they are dead wrong. That leads to Dought and not giving credance to what they predict or forcast. Its Fact that many did not head or belive sandy was as bad as predicted. Or thought the damage inflected would happen. As the case for many Hurricanes, Noreasters that were predicted then passed by.or pettered out. You are a Learnered one about the weather. I only go by what I see and experance.
Do you really think all the people that stayed and were caught that it was just off guard. Most never thought it would happen or to be as bad as Predicted.  Thanks for all your time and posting it makes for good reading and study. Bill

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2013, 12:00:33 AM »
Have 1 foot now and coming down heavy in Oakland, NJ (North West Bergen County)
Good night and all be safe.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2013, 06:29:33 AM »
 slt Good morning from Marlboro, News 12 NJ hit the nail on the head with a 6 time revised forecast. As of 6:22am 8"  so far and flurries possible 1-2 more ??  Daughter left and got to work RT 520- 18 clear no problems . No hurry to get snowblower going,  Stay safe and pace your self no need for anyone else to have heart problems. ChrisL get We'll  t^ Bill
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:47:31 AM by overbite »

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2013, 07:32:52 AM »
We ended up with about 12"

Guess it's a clean up day and get ready for the next storm on Tuesday.  t^
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2013, 07:51:27 AM »
Looks like 12" here.....time to dig out..

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2013, 09:22:27 AM »
Ended up with 9" here in Middletown.  Heading out to start cleaning the driveway.
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2013, 09:35:39 AM »
We have a wopping 41/2 inches.  Not even going to take the snow blower out for this one.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »
We got about 5-6 inches here.  I didn't go out and measure.  More than I expected!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2013, 01:34:19 PM »
We got a little over 4 here.  Went out to get rid of the snow on the driveway and it was almost gone just had to push some off to the sides.  GREAT...
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-