Author Topic: Checking In  (Read 3739 times)

Offline TedSki

• TedSki.Net
Checking In
« on: September 20, 2007, 04:31:03 PM »
I've made a few posts, so I figured I'd at least introduce myself.  My name is Ted, I'm originally from Sayreville.  8 years ago, I joined the USCG and moved out west to the San Francisco Bay Area.  I truly fell in love with that area and never thought I'd return to NJ.  Well, things change.  My father was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 years ago this month and put up one helluva 1.5 year fight.  This past March, he passed.  He was my fishing mentor/idol/partner growing up.  We never owned a boat, he always wanted one.  We'd go out on various party boats out of Atlantic Highlands whenever we could afford it.  We'd occasionally go for blues or stripers in the surf. 

I joined the USCG and have been driving boats from nearly the get go.  Most recently, I was at Station San Francisco and drove 41' Utility Boats and 25' Response Boats.  The same boats you see coming from Station Sandy Hook and Station New York.  Before San Francisco, I was on the USCG Cutter Boutwell, a 378 foot cutter homeported in Alameda, CA.  We ran counter-drug ops off Central- and South America, fisheries patrols in the Bering Sea, and supported Operation Iraqi Freedom from the beginning of the war to July 2003.  I've seen and done many things.  I've ran many different missions in some great weather and some terrible weather.

I am now stationed at USCG Sector New York.  I no longer drive boats (they call my new position and upgrade from my last but I miss the helm).  I dragged my California born fiancĂ©e with me all the way back to Sayreville where we could live cheap and save for the wedding.  Our mission here would be to support my mother and sister and help them cope with my father's death.

So, how could you move back to NJ and not go back to fishing?  I've picked it up as one of my most favorite pastimes, along with motorcycling.  And so, here I am.

Maybe the only benefit of not piloting boats anymore is that I can now get my Capt. License without it being a conflict of interest.  I already have all of the necessary sea time and then some for my OUPV.  I also already have 2 of the 4 modules of tests taken so those are also waived.  I'm going to brush up a bit and take the other 2 modules this fall.  That will finish up my OUPV.

I plan to bring some good knowledge and interpretation to this board.  I'm in the midst of writing an article on proper use of VHF-FM Marine Radios.  If anyone has any other requests for articles or even just requests for knowledge/interpretation, do not hesitate to ask.  I am not afraid to tell you what I don't know, but I will at least aide you in finding the correct source of the information.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Checking In
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 04:44:18 PM »
officially now.. very nice to have you.. and you have a hell of a resume.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline TedSki

• TedSki.Net
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 04:49:43 PM »
you have a hell of a resume.

When I get my six pack, should I staple the book cover I'm on to my resume?   ;D

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 05:02:02 PM »
Ted, you got a ride with me anytime you want to go fishing. You live closer to my boat then I do.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 07:27:14 PM »
Welcome to the site.  I'm an ex-coastie.  Served from 1968-1972, that was the Old Guard.  Spent 2 1/2 years at Station Barnegat Light.  Ran the boats there.  Spent my last year on the 255 ft Cutter Owasco.

Got my 6-pack license a year and a half ago.  Don't charter, yet, but maybe after retirement.

Sorry to hear about your dad's passing.  Sounds like he taught you well.

One thing I'd like to see in your writing of radio procedure.  Mention that 'over and out' is not proper terminology.  As 'over' means you are done your transmittion and want an answer and 'out' means you are done your transmission and don't want an answer.  USE ONE OR THE OTHER, NOT BOTH.  Drives me nuts when I hear that.
That's my pet peeve with the radio, sorry to rant so much about it. 
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:59:49 PM »
Awesome Intro Ted.  Sorry for your lose.

We all look forward to more of your input here on the site.  and there is plenty of room on the home page for any articles you wish to publish.

Very Nice to have you with us.

Rod

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 09:06:43 PM »
My father was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 years ago this month and put up one helluva 1.5 year fight.  This past March, he passed.  He was my fishing mentor/idol/partner growing up.  We never owned a boat, he always wanted one. 
I feel your pain and your lost.  My situation is very similar.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 11:32:55 PM »
Welcome Aboard Ted,

First, sorry for your loss I felt the same way about my dad.  My Stepdad was pretty much the same but he was a retired Naval Submarine Commander.  What a character.

I am looking forward to your reports as well as your insight to communications if you need any additional info I was the Communications Coordinator for Ocean County Office of Emergency Management.  I am looking to do, like Rod, some how to video's it might be something to think about, whatcha think Rod?

Again Welcome Aboard.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 03:22:47 PM »
Welcome Tedski ... sorry about your Dad.

I look forward to your posts!

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 03:29:10 PM »
Tedski,

Welcome aboard, glad to have you out protecting our country........remember that as long as you have him in your heart, your Dad will always be with you......He is with us living within you t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-