Author Topic: Decided to buy myself a boat  (Read 7180 times)

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
Decided to buy myself a boat
« on: September 25, 2007, 02:09:23 PM »
I've decided to buy myself a boat before my wife spends all of my money! ;D Started looking last night on line. 21-23 ft.w/outboard, trailer or slip ,I have yet to decide on that. Walk around to help keep me dry during the fall run or Center Console which equals more fishing room .Any recommendations? 5hrug <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
Re: Decided to buy myself a boat
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 02:38:36 PM »
Walk around all the way!

Consider a hard top and Eisenglass  to keep dry and warm.

Center consols are tough in our waters, 2'-4' you will need a full rain suit or get wet.
 t^

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 02:43:17 PM »
I have gotten wet less in my CC then in my pops 23.5 WA. I ONLY get wet in my CC when I am taking the waves on my beam (usually my port) and the wind is blowing strong in same direction (like heading out this past Sunday). I only got wet maybe 2-3xs this whole summer and that was in pretty rough conditions in the bay.

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 02:55:12 PM »
I really have no experience on a CC but there were many days i've seen this season where I was glad the crew was able to take shelter on walkaround boats.

I guess the question depends on where you want to fish and the average amount of people who will be fishing with you.
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 02:59:31 PM »
For us, in the 18-21' range we were looking in, CC made the most sense.

Not enough useable/fishable room for me in a 21 WA.
Fishinfool likes to lay out in the sun most of the trips, so CC is a no brainer. She would have no where to stretch out in a cramped 21 WA.

There are pluses and minus for sure (lack of storage on a small CC), privacy to use the head, etc, but there is a LOT more fishable room, much easier to anchor, dock alone, etc.

The only REAL think I miss is the bathroom privacy for fishinfool. That, I really wish we had.

Maybe get a bow dodger one day.

What is your budget?

Mine was 10k, wound up spending 13k and am still hard pressed to find any 2003 21' CC for that price (even tho mine was real bare and got hosed on the GPS/FF).

@13k for a WA, I would have been looking at a mid '90's boat from what I have seen (and even CC from what  still see).

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 03:00:36 PM »
I really have no experience on a CC but there were many days i've seen this season where I was glad the crew was able to take shelter on walkaround boats.
I guess the question depends on where you want to fish and the average amount of people who will be fishing with you.

Since I am driving, I am stuck out on deck anyway :)

I wouldn't be out in that kind of weather with the family and my friends, well, they can suck it up! :)

Offline FinItalia

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 07:24:16 PM »
I have a 2007, 19'6' Pioneer sportfish for sale.  Its a center console with a three sided enclosure. fantastic boat, 150 hp suzuki 4 stroke, 30 gal livewell, plenty of storage, gps, vhf,am-fm cd stereo, alluminum trailer with spare.

Offline sealife

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 08:13:10 PM »
Used or new??  I could not afford new after looking at some of the prices.  I found this site for used boats and it may help with your search and what boats are selling for.

http://www.usedboats.com/

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 08:16:18 PM »
I think Boston Whalers are the best make of boats.

Fish On
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 08:33:17 PM »
I've fished in alot of CC's and I'm not a big fan of them in the size class you are looking at.. Seems to me that they offer a little room everywhere, but not alot of room anywhere.. Plus they are usually much more exposed to the elements and don't usually offer much in the way of comfortable seating and creature comfort in the event the wife/non anglers want to tag along.. I also agree that until you get over 25' , WA's tend to be a bit cramped for fishing space as well..The Scout 242 Abaco is a sweet WA with a decent sized cockpit, and a real nice cabin for it's size.. Another option that you haven't even mentioned is a pilot house style.  Steiger Craft makes a couple in 21-23' that will offer total protection from the weather up front, and a huge "dancefloor" aft, especially with the motor mounted on a bracket.. Just my .02..I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide..

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 09:46:56 PM »
Everyone , Thanks for all the input. First, my budget is between $20,000-$25,000 cash, anything over that would be on a bank note,which I'd rather save for a Harley, but would receive flack from both my wife and daughter on that purchase. Used might be the way I lean towards, getting something with electronics,extras, etc. within the cash budget range. But if I have to see the loan officer that's what I'll do(NEW OR USED). As for the amount of people fishing, NO FREELOADERS ALLOWED!!! that reduces the number quick. Porta Potty for the ladies is always a plus >:D < beautiful women are always welcome. ;D checking the used sites, thanks thanks for the tip. My head will spin, but I'm looking forward to the leap.Thanks Everyone, I'll keep you posted. <'((((><

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 10:01:55 PM »
sounds like you can get a nice CC for that money! you could always get that bow tent thing to give the ladies privacy. t^
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 03:11:15 AM »
this is preference...  I have the CC.  CC have more fising room and easier to anchor and dock if you go out by yourself.  You can reach every side of the boat easy.

The pro's of the Cuddy, is storage, and dry space.  Its all about what your particular needs are.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 05:37:23 AM »
  I have a 2003 21 CC Seaswirl and a porta potty fits in the consule. No more comlaints from the lady!!

Offline Modoman71

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 04:15:23 AM »
i cant recommend anything but when you do decide will you take me fishing? i will help with gas and buy breakfast and lunch

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 09:27:05 PM »
hope I am not to late to add my .02
if your still looking to buy,think about waiting till the spring when you can test drive,hear,and feel the ride of any boat. See how smooth or rough it rides it a heavy chop or snotty sea.CC have a great rep.but offer less weather protection.Cuddy cabins have weather protection,but offer less dance room.Concider the conditions, and type of fishing and the area. Lake,Bay,Ocean,Off Shore.Good Luck. AJ

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 09:28:28 PM »
All good points AJ.   t^
I don't know how people can buy at a boat show without that test run.  Hopefully, the sale is contingent to a test ride.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 09:30:07 PM by IrishAyes »
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 09:29:26 PM »
very, very good points...
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 10:05:23 PM »
I went to Boat shows,Outdoor Sportmen Shows,Marina, Launch Ramps to see what was around.Then I stepped aboard the new ones and old ones to see if I "Fit In".
Decided on a Steiger.
Provided what I need Now.Someday a 52'Bertram.
(In my dreams).Stay well.AJ

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 02:01:54 PM »
Thanks everyone. I did buy a boat after I had a survey & sea trial. I would not buy one any other way. 2003 Seaswirl 2101 DC , 200 HP Yamaha 4 stroke, trim tabs,ff,gps,vhs,trailer....  Can't wait until March Winter Flounder Season, but hope to launch before that.  chrz <'((((><

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-