Author Topic: New vs Used Fishing Kayak  (Read 3223 times)

Offline lckcpaddler2

New vs Used Fishing Kayak
« on: May 30, 2013, 06:18:43 PM »
Dear NJ Saltwater Forum users,

I am debating with myself about buying a new or used fishing kayak. I have tried out several of my friends and they have encouraged me to buy used to save the cash and to invest in some upgraded fishing equipment. I guess I can agree with them but at the same time I am debating on whether or not it is worth the risk of buying a used kayak that might have some structural faults or could potentially fall apart after a short time whereas a new kayak would give me more peace of mind knowing that I was the first one to paddle it. Anyways, I am thinking about this one - http://www.kayaktrader.com/kayak-malibu-x-factor/ http://www.kayaktrader.com/kayak-malibu-x-factor/ It seems like a good deal but I am not sure if I want to drop $1000 on a used boat or if I should just shell out the extra dough for a new one..

Any suggestions?????

Thanks!

Morgan

Offline Reefsquatter

Re: New vs Used Fishing Kayak
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:32:32 PM »
My two cents,
Most of the kayaks are plastic and virtually indestructible. Even if glass they are easy to patch.

I would go to a store like njpaddler and check em all out. Sit in them.
If you narrow it down , check craigslist for what you like, if none around bite the bullet and buy new.

I can't comment on the model that you linked but it appears to me to be expensive for a sed boat that sells for 1100 without a sale.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »
You just missed 2 great events.  NJ Paddler just had their show not to long ago and Dave Kayak1 just put on a seminar that was an eye opener for many who attended.

First if all don't be mislead by the jargon like fishing machine, tricked out for fishing, ready to fish, etc.  Every kayak is fishable to start with.  I have a Hobie Quest that has many things to make fishing seem better but in reality my wife's Ocean Kayak, Frenzy, is just as fishable.  And more stable too boot.  I like many in the beginning had to have all the toys to put on and once I tipped a few times, (Oh Yes you will tip...) and lost gear I realized I had to figure what I really want to take out with me that is teatherded down.  It not, can I afford to loose it.

I do have equipment that I do bring along like a fishfinder, but, it is waterproof and can take total submersion.  1 rod and sometimes 2 but they both are teatherded to the boat so I can't loose them same as my paddle. 

Si I guess what I am saying is "Buyer Beware", look around, sit in as many as you can, better yet go to places like NJ Paddler and try them out on the water.  Call ahead to see if there are any others going out as well.

There are a few on here that have kayaks and will tell you the same thing. Our best advise to you especially for your first boat is to K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Silly. 

If you have any specific questions throw them out there and I am sure in no time they all will be answered.

Good Luck

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Dalejam

• Fish-on
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »
I too was in the same situation as you, Ped579 gave me the exact advice. He was dead on, I went to the show and spent 6 hours there sat in a ton of yaks, finally made a choice, very happy. I went and bought all this add on stuff and was contumplating where to put it, i held off and kept looking at it. then i went to the kayak seminar that KAYAK1 gave. I am know the proud owner of a bunch of accessories for a kayak. switched up my thinking and went with what the seasoned kayakers said. know what your going for and bring that. i am new at this but i can tell you this i went out for fluke switched up to blues and stripers, was a blast, but everything on a kayak becomes a opsticle or something to get tangled up in. so try some out and K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Silly
Dale t^
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:49:52 PM by Dalejam »
I'M working on fishing.

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »
WOW..... You guys are good all great advice for someone who is looking to spend $1000.00 on a used Kayak.

I would agree 100% with what everyone is talking about here....Don't spend a ton of money on used.....$1000.00 can but a great new kayak if you look hard enough.

I paid $800.00 for mine and its the tug boat of kayaks....But its safe....and hard to flip.

Like Paul said you don't need to buy a fishing kayak.....Build your own.

Please ask all the questions you want before you buy a kayak....We have some good kayak fisherman on the site that would love to help you get started.

Kayak-1

The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-