Author Topic: Shimano baitrunner??  (Read 5454 times)

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
Shimano baitrunner??
« on: September 28, 2007, 01:22:47 PM »
Opinions?

I need a new spinning real for my Temple Fork 7" MH Spinning rod (rated 8-17lb).

Looking to spend less then $100 (way les), but will step up for a real superior reel. Iknow the bait runners are popular and I am a big Shimano fan.

Right now I use it with an Okuma Epixor E-20 w/20lb braid which is ok, but I have another rod that needs to go on and I will not by another Okuma reel EVER!
Not a big Penn fan either (espeically spin fishers).

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: Shimano baitrunner??
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 01:28:07 PM »
Hi Mboy,

I have eight ( 8 ) Baitrunner 3500s. I have caught everything from cow stripers to bluefin tuna on them (as well as mahi, bonito, etc.).

They are the best value workhorse reel that I know of. They are relatively inexpensive to service locally (spare parts) and Shimano service is awesome.

I always have 2 on the boat ... If you want to try one, I will loan you one.

One other choice that I use is the Stradic 4000. I do not loan my Stradic reels (except to friends). The price is higher than a 3500 but I like them very much. I don;t think a Baitrunner will let you down!

I am a big fan of Shimano spinning reels. I choose Penn for my conventional gear.

BTW, I hate Okuma products and will share why with anyone that PMs me.

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 01:38:45 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 01:43:10 PM »
Do you need the baitrunner feature?

Seems like a fairly light rod and if you won't be needing the dual drag, then maybe look at some Tica reels.

I have a couple of their older Camry reels that are quite a few years old and still going strong.  Think the Libra is the replacement.  Pretty good value.

Check out Cabela's as they might have some older Shimano spinners on sale as some new improved versions of some of their lineup are comming out.

XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 01:44:13 PM »
Thanks Ed. Loks like 3500 is the way to go. Stradic might be more then I want to spend 9actualy, so is the bait runner, but what can ya do :)

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 01:48:01 PM »
Hi Mboy,

I have one I can ship to you to try if you want?

I hooked into a nice sized thresher with it earlier in the season. After the fight, I sent it out (as I thought that the drags would need some help). It just got back from service and the tech said there was nothing wrong ... they just greased and cleaned it up a bit.

Let me know ...

Ed

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 01:55:08 PM »
Mike, I would like to have the bait runer feature (can't say it would kill me not to), but I would like it.

I will peep out Cabelas to see if they have any sales.

Thanks.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 01:55:58 PM »
I appreciate the offer Ed. Maybe when I see you in a few weeks you can bring it for me to try out :)

Thanks.

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 02:32:39 PM »
Hi Mboy,

I agree with Capt. Ed.

The baitrunner is a superior reel for the money.
I own the 4500 and 6500, and I plan to buy more. What a great feature having the baitrunner.
 You can't go wrong here; braid is the way to go with these reels as well.

Capt. Mike
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 06:46:49 PM by Capt. Mike »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 06:21:07 PM »
I own 2..  love them t^

Offline mgm

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 06:52:44 PM »
Stay away from Okuma.....had two experiences with a hard running fish that blew coils of line when the clutch was engaged.

Shimano reels have always performed for me.
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline bayonne

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 05:55:39 PM »
i have one on one of my surf rods and love it
and okuma i have a level wind it was only couple months old and the level wind was getting stuck had to get it fixed luckily a guy on my other site does rod a reel repair
and it only cost the part plus $5 total $10
i will never buy another okuma this one is the cv 30 a reel should not breach in acouple of months and i think i only used it like 4 times :'(

Offline mgm

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 06:20:03 PM »
My Okuma baitrunner also blew coils off of the reel on a hard running bluefish.

Had a lockup on my Okuma Induron when engaging from freespool on a nice sized fluke. Had to hand line the fish in.

Okuma replaced the baitrunner and claimed I had filled the spool with too much line. Upgraded the clutch on the Induron.  Service was fast, but who needs to send new reels back.

Stick with Shimano, never had an issue.
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 06:39:18 PM »
I will not touch another Okuma product except their fishing rod rack.

Offline bayonne

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 07:35:30 PM »
i been tring his link and its comeing up error ill try to get in touch with him he lives in sayerville i cant say what he would charge but does top notch work ill get back with you on this

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 01:04:24 AM »
FYI, If you're interested in a Stradic, all the FH models are on clearance.  You can get them at a great discount almost everywhere now.  Too bad I didn't know about this only a few hours ago. I could've gotten you either a Baitrunner or a Stradic (FH or FI) at below cost!  Oh well, timing is everything. 5hrug

Anyway, I may have a few Shimano Corvalus round baitcasters for sale soon if anyone out there is looking for one.  They are nice reels for all types of inshore and back bay fishing.  ;)
-Bob
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 01:19:58 AM by Bucktail »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-