Author Topic: hey guys  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Scott Bailey

• seabass sharks cod ling stripers i love fishing
hey guys
« on: July 20, 2013, 10:32:32 PM »
do u guys know if u put fishing line in a cooler does that weaken the line if not then it must be the eye guides on my surf rod but they are small nicks not even visible how can i fix them i dont think il need to replace them if thats what it is

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
Re: hey guys
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:57:52 PM »
what type of line how old is it? if run a tissue through the guides if it tears you found your problem
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:12:33 PM »
what type of line how old is it? if run a tissue through the guides if it tears you found your problem

its new but it was laying in ice sand water and sitting in the sun its 20 lb test big game and will toilet paper work ?

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 02:29:44 AM »

its new but it was laying in ice sand water and sitting in the sun its 20 lb test big game and will toilet paper work ?

The ice won't affect the strength of the line, but the sun will.  If your guides turn out to be OK, then it's time to re-spool with some fresh line.

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 04:02:43 AM »

The ice won't affect the strength of the line, but the sun will.  If your guides turn out to be OK, then it's time to re-spool with some fresh line.
i think i fund a few small nicks nothing  major in the guides any tips on how to fix them i heard jb weld works ?

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 07:21:31 PM »
Small nicks in the guides is all it takes to put small nicks in the mono. Replace the guides and line. JB Weld is going to require smoothing with a file or emory cloth, in a small hole such as a guide, could be too much of a pain.
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 07:34:28 PM »
 Hate to say it, but I would trash the rod, or get the guide replaced. I just had two rods with guides replaced for 13 bucks each guide, plus the cost of the guide itself. Most tackle shops do it now, call around and find someone local for you.

I doubt anything would stick to the ceramic guides, much less finish off nice enough to be good.

First trophy fish to hit that rod and you know it will find that weak link if left alone.

Was just thinking,, are you sure its nicked? I would think ceramic would be pretty hard to nick and not crack or chip. Could it just be a piece of crud stuck to it?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:36:15 PM by Reel Time »
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »
Hate to say it, but I would trash the rod, or get the guide replaced. I just had two rods with guides replaced for 13 bucks each guide, plus the cost of the guide itself. Most tackle shops do it now, call around and find someone local for you.

I doubt anything would stick to the ceramic guides, much less finish off nice enough to be good.

First trophy fish to hit that rod and you know it will find that weak link if left alone.

Was just thinking,, are you sure its nicked? I would think ceramic would be pretty hard to nick and not crack or chip. Could it just be a piece of crud stuck to it?
i ran my thumb nail over each guide gently and it got caught on 2 o the guides

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 07:46:56 PM »
Small nicks in the guides is all it takes to put small nicks in the mono. Replace the guides and line. JB Weld is going to require smoothing with a file or emory cloth, in a small hole such as a guide, could be too much of a pain.

okay

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 08:11:27 PM »
 If you have to replace two guides,, for a few dollars more you can score a new rod.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 10:24:14 PM »
If you have to replace two guides,, for a few dollars more you can score a new rod.
this is true well im gonna buy a new surf rod

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 11:51:28 PM »
I just had two rods with guides replaced for 13 bucks each guide, plus the cost of the guide itself.

Should have said something.  I could have done it for you for nada. ;)

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 12:42:18 AM »
how much do you all charge to replace eye guides

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 09:54:05 AM »
How many do you need to replace?

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 06:20:28 PM »
How many do you need to replace?
one or two maybe

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-