Author Topic: gettin in the slip  (Read 7659 times)

Offline sperzonkers2

gettin in the slip
« on: August 05, 2013, 12:35:27 PM »
Hi all, I though i would asking this of you more experienced captains on this. this if my first year in a slip. My slip faces north/south with the bow facing north.
Behind me is the gas dock about 1-1/2 boat lengths. The slip has two pilings at the entrance and the finger dock to starboard. Yesterday with the NW wind and the  current in the fairway running west when I came in I was a little long and pointing at the starboard piling. when I went to spin the bow over to port by backing to starboard the bow would not go over and I started to run out of room because of the gas dock. I composed myself and finally got along side of the gas dock and it was a straight shot in.  how would you guys come in with this situation. It was the first time with this wind direction. Thanks Much!!
Bill

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
Re: gettin in the slip
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 01:50:26 PM »
spin the boat around and come in against the tide. If im following your story right the current pushed you past the slip?
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline sperzonkers2

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 02:44:28 PM »
Al, Yes it pushed me not quite pass the slip but the bow was almost to the center of the right piling and when I tried to get the bow to go to port it would not go over easily and with the end of the gas dock behind me I ran out of room to go back any further.
Bill

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 03:31:45 PM »
As Al stated,  I always pull into the slip against the current or wind.  Whichever is stronger at the time wind, or current. If I'm approaching my slip and the current/wind is at my stern I pass the slip then turn around so I can approach the slip with the bow into the current/wind.  Slow and steady too.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 04:03:17 PM »
As Al stated,  I always pull into the slip against the current or wind.  Whichever is stronger at the time wind, or current. If I'm approaching my slip and the current/wind is at my stern I pass the slip then turn around so I can approach the slip with the bow into the current/wind.  Slow and steady too.

whs

Don't be afraid to use a slip post for leverage and reverse on it. I don't get a rip roaring current but I usually have to turn around to get into my slip to back in. In this position the starboard side faces the slip. If it is especially fast I will put my starboard mid ship against the down current piling and reverse into the slip, using the piling as a fulcrum. Again, my slip isn't usually ragging but, this is a technique that may work for you.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »
Oh this is a boating question.

I thought it was about......Never mind  ;D
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 07:24:30 PM »

"docking"???hhppy rofla fcp fngr

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 07:30:32 PM »
 ;D
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
 Yesterday it took me 4 shots to get it into the slip. Same basic situation that you have, minus the current. Boat oriented north to south, and the north wind kicked my butt.

I found it easier to give'er a little hell backing in before the wind has a chance to blow my bow over. Always have to be mindful of the possibility of a motor stall at the worst possible time with that method.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »
One Rule I read and I find True "You own the STERN, God owns the BOW" ! More or less meaning with the motor you can direct the stern, but the wind and the current is going to direct the bow. ;D Take your time use your pilings they create a pivot point for you, You have a rub rail around your boat for a reason, don't be afraid to use it. t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 07:52:52 PM »
One Rule I read and I find True "You own the STERN, God owns the BOW" ! More or less meaning with the motor you can direct the stern, but the wind and the current is going to direct the bow. ;D Take your time use your pilings they create a pivot point for you, You have a rub rail around your boat for a reason, don't be afraid to use it. t^

That is a very spify saying, Skip! But, it does hold true.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 08:57:53 PM »
Yesterday it took me 4 shots to get it into the slip.  

That's gota be making Rod nervous   fcp  ;D

fngr  fcp   rofla
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 08:58:52 PM by Kenny »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 09:41:27 PM »
 :-* pawle

;D

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 09:54:02 PM »
I am in pretty tight marina no current to deal with but the wind can cause a problem. Using the piling to pivot on works. It takes some throttle though to get it to pivot depending on wind and current.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 01:10:36 AM »
We have docked the boats thousands of times and EACH time is unique. Wind,tide,current,pillings,all have an effect.
I once  asked ( after we had a few cold ones) a Captain of a huge 105 ft. vessel how does he approach the dock ?? He replied "each time my heart beat goes up and my palms get a little misty" Every time...most are beautiful, some are ugly.   

Well, I quess we are not alone.  t^

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 04:12:26 AM »
We have docked the boats thousands of times and EACH time is unique. Wind,tide,current,pillings,all have an effect.
I once  asked ( after we had a few cold ones) a Captain of a huge 105 ft. vessel how does he approach the dock ?? He replied "each time my heart beat goes up and my palms get a little misty" Every time...most are beautiful, some are ugly.   

That about sums it up!

Well, I quess we are not alone.  t^

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 09:34:57 AM »
ha, nice insights all

my smoothest re-slip ever- by far- was one dark Weds. night, returning after stripers- gott'er in nice, without even touching anything- just perfect, didn't even wake Tombo.
then I realized it was my neighbor's slip. thud 
good thing he was still out!  chrz

Offline sperzonkers2

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 12:14:03 PM »
 slt Thanks all, for your help. When it didn't work I felt the panic starting to set in but i composed myself
and i backed over against the gas dock. Then it was a straight shot in. Maybe because my boat is skiff and light the bow does below around easily. I will try the spin I just hope i have enough room on the other side of the gas dock. Thanks again!! t^
Bill

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »
I wound up in eddies slip once because the engine stalled on the turn in.  nosmly
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-