Author Topic: A total team effort on the Middle Grounds  (Read 5766 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
A total team effort on the Middle Grounds
« on: September 24, 2013, 01:02:35 AM »
 slt        A total team effort on the Middle Grounds:
Fall is a very special time of year for the avid sportsman. The days are getting shorter and a little cooler. In addition, as the water temperature  begins to cool down, fishing can be spectacular. During the full moon periods snapper tend to feed very well at night. The September full moon was 09/19 @ 7:12 A.M. This weekend the Florida Fisherman ll, Hubbard's Marina, will be fishing two days after the full moon, great timing, let's go!  The Florida is fueled and ready. Captain Bryon, Captain 'Coach' John, and longtime professional mates Will and Joe are read & eager to go. Chef Tammy Kotta has loaded enough food and drinks to feed a small army. Chef Tammy brings her own special touch to each and every meal. She loves to cook; we love to eat...perfect match!
The Florida Fisherman ll stands ready to take a very diverse group of avid sportsmen/women on a thirty nine hour excursion deep into some of the best fishing grounds in the entire world, the Florida Middle Grounds.

This natural coral aquarium, with the demise of many proud old ships, is part of the reason why Florida is widely known as the, 'Fishing Capitol of the World). Many come from near and far to fish this tropical wonderland. Many, such as Mister Robert Crum, Mister Willis (king fish) Ellis, Mister Dan Jackman, Mister Mike Payne, and Mister Richard Sipple, are members of Hubbard's 'Regulars' Club; we are family! Our 'family' welcomes everyone and is more than willing to help in any way possible. We love to share what Florida has to offer. Many of us are Florida natives who know very little other than Florida. Interacting with fellow sportsmen/women of different cultures is fascinating to us. This year we welcomed friends from as far away as  Greece, Washington State, California, and Alaska. We talked for hours about ice fishing North of the Article Circle. Just imagine minus 70 degrees, a fifty
MPH wind, and six feet of ice to chop threw. Now that's dedication! We have friends from Atlanta, and Maryland who, every Summer, make the long drive just to fish with us; what an honor!
Let's go fishing! First things first. Plenty of very lively pin fish will be needed:

Live pins, frozen Spanish sardines, and squid should be enough to tempt any fish.
 Mates Will & Joe, as well as Chef Tammy, share their vast knowledge with us. This is going to be a total team effort on the Middle Grounds:

As we cross under John's pass bridge, the weather is picture perfect. Mike, from Bass Pro Shop, takes full advantage and trolls for king fish: (Catch Mike in action @ the very beginning of the video, end of this report.)

Mister Leo Smith, a very good friend, enjoys a Chef Tammy cheese steak sub with grilled onions and peppers. What a way to begin our great adventure:

Twelve midnight Saturday morning, the beginning of over twenty hours of actual fishing time on the Grounds. Coach John, that's one heck of a vermilion, and red snapper:

The fishing is slower than expected, but still:

October can't come soon enough:

Nice almaco jack:

Way to go Mister Sumrall, way to go Ed!   Mister Sumrall caught 17 different species of fish before the sun came up. He caught numerous big American reds:

Mister Richard Sipple, a very good mangrove snapper fisherman and friend. Rich is fishing spot # 50 on the Florida:

The American reds keep coming in. Watch & listen to the air being forced out of the ARS as they are being properly vented and released to fight again. Watch as the great fish immediately heads for home. (3:48 min. into video).

Now that's some impressive mangrove snapper:

We are really hungry. Tammy, what's for breakfast? "How does my special home made blueberry pancakes, bacon, eggs, & link sausage Sound?"   Full moon over the Florida Middle Grounds, and a breakfast fit for a king, for a Florida Fisherman. Tammy, you are too much!

The mango fishing is much slower than expected. Never-the-less, many beauties are forced to pay for their breakfast:

As the sun decides to make it's daily appearance, the mighty amberjacks take over:
The battle waged by an 80# AJ simply defies the imagination. (Watch the great battle 5:14 min. into the video).   Look at that building cloud cover:

Even the ladies can't believer their eyes:

First mate Will's father, Mister McClure hooks into a big boy on a jig. AJ's hit a jig very well, very hard. Be ready for a battle:

Will (R) is so proud of dad. Way to go sir, way to go! (watch the great battle 6 min. into the video).

Mister Willis Ellis proudly represents the Hubbard's 'Regulars' Club with this monster king fish. Mister Ellis, fishing spot # 2, reports that the king hit very close to the boat. He was gaffed green. When that monster hit the deck, he was not a happy camper. Be very careful of that slashing mouth full of teeth:

Mister Sumrall, listen to that 9/0 sing:  (Hear it in the video)

Mister Roger Poulin, fishing spot # 10, Sir, that's one to be proud of:

The girls record the action:

Now that's a real battle:

And the winners are:

Talk about some great eating. That's a red grouper to be proud of:

Another beauty!  That smile is well earned:

We all know the Grounds fish are king size, but porgies that must be gaffed:

Ever hear of a sheepshead porgy? Look at those stripes. (Watch the sheepshead being caught 7:38 min. into the video)

Tammy, we have been in a real battle all day long. We are starved, what's for dinner? 
"I sure hope you are good and hungry."
"Start off with a fresh garden green salad, my special recipe alfredo sauce over a very tender chicken breast & angel hair pasta,  green beans, Texas toast, followed by a double chocolate cake:

Talk about being stuffed. Let's see if we can catch a few more fish before hitting the nice cool bunks for the long ride home:

Wonder how many species Ed has now?

Nice way to end our trip:

We were forced to battle  falling barometic pressure, strong winds, a killer current, and rain most of the day:

Thanks to that big old catamaran, and, 'A total team effort on the Middle Grounds' we ended up with a most respectful catch, a bunch of smiling faces, and memories to last a life time. Let's hit the hot showers and nice cozy bunks. Madeira Beach, here we come.
A wide open John's Pass bridge welcomes us home, home until the Florida once again attacks the fish-rich Florida Middle Grounds. See you in October.

Time to collect the fruits of our labor:

And the in the money jack pot winners are:

Even during less than perfect conditions, can, 'A total team effort on the Middle Grounds' really yield trophy fish to be proud of? Ask Mister Edward Sumrall, Mister Willis Ellis, and Mister Richard Sipple:

It's a very good thing that Will & Joe are fast. They have their work cut out for them:

Mister American red snapper, October is pay-back time. See you then.

Check out the short action packed video. See all the action. (Click on the Youtube link)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6GdJv57cPY

Bob Harbison   Florida Outdoor Writers Association

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: A total team effort on the Middle Grounds
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 05:53:30 AM »
Wow,  That's a nice trip!
Thanks for the report Bob. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 04:16:37 PM »
 slt    My pleasure!  Thanks for reading my long report.  Bob

Offline njbob49

• Cod caught on the "Stick"
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 06:06:47 PM »
Thanks for another great report and awesome video.  slt I had missed them the last couple of weeks and then I remembered you saying it was hunting season for a while. Those AJ's will kick your butt.

Tight Lines,
Bob G  chrz slt

PS:  I was going to make a comment on the Tattoo woman, but figured I would keep this post G-rated.  TT^  :headscra:

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »
 clp   Thank you sir!  My reports, from now until Spring, will not be on a regular basis. Whenever possible, I will continue top bring full reports with plenty of on the water pictures.
So glad you enjoy what I do. It's people like you that keep me going.   Bob

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 02:12:39 PM »
Tattoo girl has the best fishing outfit I ever saw.
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »

Looks like Lizard Lady. :P

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 05:19:13 PM »

Looks like Lizard Lady. :P
>:D..I like them freaky girls..... TT^
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 06:07:39 PM »
Yeah, that green and purple skin is a real turn on! :-X

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 07:54:51 PM »
 clp    Tattoo girl:   Admittedly her black outfit may have been a little skimpy. However, I heard absolutely NO complains. She was a very nice young lady. She was extremely polite, very friendly, and talked a great deal. She was a lot of fun to be around!  t^ 

Offline Capt. Carl

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »
Yeah Bob...she was really nice person...judging books by its cover again? ;D
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 08:25:28 PM »
Ha ha!  I'm sure she's a wonderful person! ;D  I'm just not a fan of the green, reptile skin look on a woman.  I know some others dig it.

To each their own. t^

Offline Capt. Carl

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 08:44:18 PM »
Green Reptile Skin or not....the outfit is priceless!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 08:55:15 PM »
Ok.. from here out can we replace the food pictures.. with tattooed women ;D

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 08:56:34 PM »

What?  You don't like Tammy?  She's from New Jersey! ;D

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 11:06:23 PM »

Hell, from here on out you can replace the fish pictures with tattooed women!

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 06:11:33 AM »
 ;D

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »
 TT^....Send all that green reptile skin over this way, You don't know what your missing..... chrz
I support our sponsors !

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »
 w0w   For those who may not be particularly fond of tattoos that is completely understandable. For those who like the 'tattooed' lady, I found one more picture. If I  see her again I will find out more about her. Should really be interesting!   Bob
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:31:27 AM by harbison »

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 11:58:57 AM »
 TT^...Thanks Bob, I think I might have a few more than her but she is catching up... chrz
I support our sponsors !

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-