Author Topic: Frustrated  (Read 6865 times)

Offline Quadruplecccc

Frustrated
« on: October 01, 2013, 12:09:04 AM »
Not sure where to post this so I figured I would stick it here as it is really not a fishing report per say.
I launched at AH a couple weeks ago looking for fluke and ended up at s-bury rocks bouncing from spot to spot and found no fluke. Instead we found lots of keeper size c-bass. Move after move produced the same. As the day burned away we fished spot to spot on way back home giving up a few flounder and more c-bass.
 Season was closed for the bass so no big deal.
 Sun I was on a mission to go back to all those spots and get a few c-bass for dinner. We landed well over 100 c-bass and was shocked to only find one keeper! Now, the season has only been open for three days so how is it or what makes such a change that all the keepers disappear or got serious lock jaw.
 I feel like I'm missing something here. I know , I hear you gotta put your time in. I think I have done a good job of that and have done my research on and off the water but still always come up short Is it just unlucky timing or what?
Even the fluke fishing seemed off this year. Can't help but second guess myself after each trip

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 05:53:59 AM »
I feel your pain.   I don't have the answer. :P
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 05:56:03 AM »
I will be out fishing for cbass on wed. I am going right to deeper water first. Out by fg grounds and mud bouy.  It could be the water temps drove them out a bit. Don't know if this is the correct answer but I hope so.
Keith
Franklin, N.J.
Proud member of the I.B.E.W. local 827

MAKO 250wa twin 150 E-tecs
  Happily fishing out of Atlantic Highlands Municiple Marina.

Offline njbob49

• Cod caught on the "Stick"
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 07:19:59 AM »
Fish are like women at times.  We will never figure them out.   thud hhppy There are also so many variables that come into play when fishing.  You have to worry about tides, wind direction, water temperature and current to name a few. What do the fluke think those 6" grubs are the way they attack them?

This was the Fish Stix report for Sat. 9/28. "We had Kevin Miles first time seabassers today. The fishing was great if you like fishing. A load of shorts, probably 100-150. But with the 20 something stops and drifts we made, we only managed 6 keepers. The catching sucked, it is what it is. They had a awesome time and that's what counts."

You just have to enjoy the day no matter how many fish you take home. That is why it is called "fishing" and not "catching".

Tight Lines,
Bob G  chrz slt slt

Offline Quadruplecccc

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 05:29:30 PM »
Was gunna stop at the mud bouy on way out to give it a try but for some reason I chose not to.
I have not fished that area yet. Is there structure there that holds the c-bass or what makes that spot a point of interest?
As far as fishing deep, we tried depths of 65' down to 25'with same results. It didn't seem to matter.
Also worked s hook reef over a bit.

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »
There is a pile of debree there that I caught some nice fish on this year. The problem right now is that there are big blues there. Party boats out the ass... I tried fluking there last week but the drift was too crazy.  But up at fg there are a bunch of little piles and wrecks that you can get bass on. I willtry to post up a report thursday or friday.
Keith
Franklin, N.J.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 07:07:19 PM »
Was at the mud buoy today. Only one party boat fishing for blues and that was later in the morning. Several private boats trolling, did not see any hook up. A couple more party boats arrived in the afternoon. One was seabassing the other was for blues/albies/whatever.

We pulled over 200 seabass today from the mud buoy area. Only had 7 keepers out of the many we caught. Also had two trigger fish.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:43:35 PM »
So there goes my theory. ....lol. ty for the report Joe.
Keith
Franklin, N.J.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 08:11:08 PM »
Paule and I were on the Monger last Friday and noticed that the bigger fish were up in the water and the smaller fish were right on the bottom if that helps...

I hit the bottom and gave a couple of cranks with as much clam as I could fit on the hook and seemed to catch a lot more keepers that others on the boat....

Paule did the same and caught as much as I did with the same keeper ratio...

Work a spot and don't stay too long...some pieces hold better fish than others...gota move around and search...I bet we worked 25 or more drops last Friday to get 105 keepers...

Hope this helps....

Also...bring some green crabs with you in case the Cbass aren't hungry...Jerry on the Monger had drop and reel action today to 10 pounds....always have a plan B.. ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:17:24 PM by Kenny »

Offline Quadruplecccc

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
Hmm  :headscra: hopefully I will get to try again on Sat.
What size hook are you using for the gobs of clam? Maybe my bait was too small after all.
btw : thanks for everyone's input!

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 05:48:10 AM »
I've read a tip to use a small jig instead of a sinker on the bottom loop lie a Shimano Lucanus, this gives you an extra set of hooks on the rig. Then add a dropper loop and hook at 24" and 42 to 48" above. Like Kenny said sometimes the bigger Seabass are higher off the bottom. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-