Author Topic: HUGE STORM..  (Read 3629 times)

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
HUGE STORM..
« on: October 11, 2007, 06:35:15 PM »
Weather you will never see me in..

http://justkeepfishing.com/Depoestrom.html
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Ramtough

• The Hunt Is On!!!!!
Re: HUGE STORM..
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 07:20:18 PM »
Great Vid Nick......Have to respect that ocean for sure ,can turn deadly in a heartbeat!!!!
23' Sea Hunt w/aCuddy Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
Based At Neptune Marina in Shark River,NJ

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:05:34 PM »
screw that, id be goin nutts
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 08:16:52 PM »
I think that's just the inlet.(always) eek

Offline TedSki

• TedSki.Net
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 09:15:05 PM »
There is nothing more thrilling as a pilot than crossing a bar.  Let me tell you, it is not for the green pilot at all.

In the background you see the Coast Guard boat.  That is a 36' Motor Life Boat.  They served us from 1929 all the way until 1987!  What skill they required.  Single screw, balanced prop, displacement hull with buoyancy chambers.  Safe and seaworthy as hell... as long as you could pilot it away from the rocks.  That was the trick for sure.  The old salts that taught me how to drive boats learned on these things... and boy do they know what they're doing.  I've gotten to drive a similar, albeit fiberglas construction, craft to see what it was like.

Great freakin' vid!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 09:33:30 PM »
I used to be the coxwain on the 44 footer we had at CG Station Barnegat Light.  That boat would self right in 30 seconds, or so we'd been told.  We used to go onto the south bar outside the mouth of the inlet and see how far we could get her to go over.  Had the well between the front and back cabins filled with water, the coxwain flat getting wet (my leg would be almost at the water line) and knocked the radio of it's mount in the foward cabin.  That was at the old Barnegat Inlet, when it was snotty on a good day.
I was young then and thought it was a lot of fun.  Now...I am a just a bit more cautious.   ;D
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 10:04:08 PM »
I used to be the coxwain on the 44 footer we had at CG Station Barnegat Light.  That boat would self right in 30 seconds, or so we'd been told.  We used to go onto the south bar outside the mouth of the inlet and see how far we could get her to go over.  Had the well between the front and back cabins filled with water, the coxwain flat getting wet (my leg would be almost at the water line) and knocked the radio of it's mount in the foward cabin.  That was at the old Barnegat Inlet, when it was snotty on a good day.
I was young then and thought it was a lot of fun.  Now...I am a just a bit more cautious.   ;D

I remember the old Bary inlet when I was a kid....  It was a roller coaster ride to get out...

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 10:08:40 PM »
Yes it was Luna, it was a challenge getting in the inlet a lot of times.  Keep in mind, the usual time for the Coast Guard to go out is when the weather is not so nice.  That is when most boaters get in trouble and need assistance.  I spent many a day and night having waves crashing over the cabin of the 44 footer.  It was fun back then, I guess I didn't know any better.   TT^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 10:12:34 PM »
the funny thing is, the water used to be flat on both side of the inlet...  the only problem was the inlet itself... there used to be HUGE Blackfish on the jetties there back then also

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 10:14:24 PM »
And huge stripers.  I used to watch the guys walking down the street coming off the beach with stripers hanging from their shoulder and touching the ground.

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 11:47:07 PM »
I remember the old Bary inlet when I was a kid....  It was a roller coaster ride to get out...

Ha, me too, but barely - considering I'm only 23 and it was under construction for pretty much the bulk of my younger years with the new south jetty being installed.  I remember my Dad's apparently suicidal friend taking his little 16-foot Bayliner through there.  Helluva lot of fun for a little kid seeing the big waves and bouncing around while not knowing enough to care about how dangerous it was.

I remember those 44-foot CG boats.  We got a tour of one once (at the Manasquan Inlet station) when I was a cub scout.  Simply awesome, and now the 47-footers are absolute monsters!  Still thinking of going to school to become a CG officer, having just graduated from college this year.  Might give it a year seeing how I like my job now and then possibly take the plunge if I still really have the bug.

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 11:50:42 PM »
the funny thing is, the water used to be flat on both side of the inlet...  the only problem was the inlet itself... there used to be HUGE Blackfish on the jetties there back then also

Well, even today, you can get some decent breakers in the middle of the inlet itself. The marked channel on the north side is pretty tame, considering.  Many times I've seen jet skiers flying through there riding into the breakers, and occasionally the unsuspecting boater who doesn't go through the north channel will take one over the bow.  I haven't heard of anyone getting pushed onto the rocks or capsizing there lately, though.

Anyone see the story on APP.com today about the 57-foot fishing boat that got turned over when it hit that sandbar by the lighthouse?  Surprised a commercial guy would get snagged there.  That's primarily a "out of towner trap" over there.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 10:27:13 PM »

Ha, me too, but barely - considering I'm only 23 and it was under construction for pretty much the bulk of my younger years with the new south jetty being installed.  I remember my Dad's apparently suicidal friend taking his little 16-foot Bayliner through there.  Helluva lot of fun for a little kid seeing the big waves and bouncing around while not knowing enough to care about how dangerous it was.

I remember those 44-foot CG boats.  We got a tour of one once (at the Manasquan Inlet station) when I was a cub scout.  Simply awesome, and now the 47-footers are absolute monsters!  Still thinking of going to school to become a CG officer, having just graduated from college this year.  Might give it a year seeing how I like my job now and then possibly take the plunge if I still really have the bug.
My grandfather had many of big boats, over 35', but he still loved taking is 18' Boston Whaler out that inlet... CRAZY>..

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 01:07:08 PM »
i'd love every minute of that ride TT^
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 02:11:22 AM »
Great Vid and people complain about our inlets .............
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-