Author Topic: Navionics for Tablet or S4  (Read 6642 times)

Offline BruceH

• Full Member of the Den
Navionics for Tablet or S4
« on: December 26, 2013, 08:15:44 AM »
Is anyone using the Navionics app for a Samsung Tab3 or on a Samsung S4 Android phone. Was curious how it worked and if there where any gliches

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Navionics for Tablet or S4
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »
Use it on the iPhone and love it t^

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 08:29:46 AM »
Works great on my HTC   running Android platform. You need to have service or it won't work,  so keep that in mind, as well as waterproof issues. Used it on a rental boat on Lake Ontario,  very handy.
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 10:27:47 AM »
I use it on my HTC phone. I don't think you need cell coverage though. I vaguely remember using it on our canyon trip to see how deep the water was. It saved my ass on a renal boat in the keys too.

I use it on my computer in combination with Google earth, my Garmin Homeport software and other sources to scope out new fishing spots or look at existing places.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 12:06:14 PM »
It's a nice app
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 09:53:53 AM »
Use it on my iPhone.  Great backup device when I am on the boat.  Mine works without cell coverage.
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 10:04:18 AM »
How does it pinpoint your location without service, do I need to change a setting or something? :headscra:

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
Use it on my iPhone.  Great backup device when I am on the boat.  Mine works without cell coverage.

It uses the GPS of the phone, not cell service from what I recall. I certainly could be wrong.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 11:11:16 AM »

Found this on the WEB,  more explanations out there ......  but this sums it up.

The Android GPS in phones enables apps to get location and navigate. With the right apps, it can replace a handheld outdoor GPS. Here are some things to keep in mind about the Android GPS and its capabilities.

Because they contain a GPS, Android smartphones have already become popular in street navigation where cell service is readily available.  They can also be used in an outdoor recreation setting, where a handheld GPS has traditionally been used. If you want to use your Android GPS in an outdoor setting, keep these points in mind:

Android Apps can get a location with the help of cell towers.
 If you look at the location settings of an Android phone, you will often see two different kinds of locations mentioned.  One is called the network location. This is found using cell towers or wifi hot spots. It is only a rough location.
 The other is the GPS satellite location which is what you need for navigation. 
 Android phones, like many smartphones, also use Assisted GPS (aGPS). This allows them to compute satellite position using the network and get the location faster.

The Android GPS can also get a location without cell towers.
 It is common to think that a cell phone can't get a location without cell service. In fact, if you ask the average employee of your cell service provider if you can use the phone's GPS without cell service, they will say no. It is often beyond their comprehension that anyone would want to, plus they want to sell you software that uses an expensive data plan.
 An Android phone has a real GPS chip in it, which can get the location from GPS satellites.

Getting a first location in the backcountry (a first fix) requires patience. 
 If you've used your Android GPS in urban areas, you may have to adjust to how long it takes to get your location the first time in the backcountry. Instead of ten seconds, it might be 1-5 minutes. It won't have the benefit of aGPS to get the satellite locations faster. Don't worry. The next time you start your GPS, it will probably take less than ten seconds. 

The map source matters when using Android GPS
 If you start Google Maps when you do not have cell coverage, it will say 'This app requires an active data plan'. This is also the case with many of the apps that your phone company wants to sell you. These apps use online maps, which require constant data coverage.
 You want to use an Android GPS app that use offline maps, such as BackCountry Navigator. BackCountry Navigator allows you to download offline topo maps in advance and store them on your storage card. 

The Android GPS needs a view of the sky. 
 While this is familiar to those who have used a handheld GPS, it can easily be forgotten when your phone can get a network location through the thickest roofs. When the location comes from satellites, it is best for the phone to be able to see them.

The Android GPS will use battery life.
 When the GPS is active, it is using battery life. Unless you are using GPS tracking, you can get much more battery life if you deactivate the GPS when not in use. BackCountry Navigator, for example, will let you turn your GPS on and off through a toggle button in the app. You can get many days of outdoor use.

In short, if you keep these facts in mind, Android's GPS can be used as a traditional outdoor GPS device. Have some fun using it in outdoor recreation!

22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 12:16:56 PM »
 whs

The iPhone works this way too
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 01:24:25 PM »
Thanks for that Dan. I'm going to test it out o the water tomorrow.

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 11:51:18 AM »
It uses satellite when out of range....works offshore like a charm!
I run it on my Note 2
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »
 One thing to note, on my Iphone it may take a few minutes to find itself with out cell coverage, just give it time it will work.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 12:53:47 PM »
Amazing. I changed my phone settings and it worked 30 miles offshore on Saturday. Had this phone with the app for 2 years and never knew . Yep, sometimes I'm a dumb ass, but I'm getting old, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Getting a new phone tomorrow and thats the first  thing I'm setting up. Thanks Dan.

Offline BruceH

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 05:55:16 PM »
Navionics doesnt have anything ready for the samsung S4 yet

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-