Author Topic: lighting the way  (Read 3407 times)

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
lighting the way
« on: October 19, 2007, 07:07:28 PM »
I've been doing a lot of night fishing and I am relying on my gps to get around.  So a winter project would be some kind of nav. light.  Something to see the swells and any garbage ahead of the boat. I have seen some head light type lights cut into the front of the hull. I also have the option of a spot light but they are very expensive. What are my options and what do you all use??   '

thanks.
Keith
Franklin, N.J.
Proud member of the I.B.E.W. local 827

MAKO 250wa twin 150 E-tecs
  Happily fishing out of Atlantic Highlands Municiple Marina.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
Re: lighting the way
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 07:11:21 PM »
A spot light can be added, but the nly problem it cuts down n yur night vision....generally i go with the Radar and GPS, and use the spot light sparingly t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 07:13:03 PM »
Keith, one thing to keep in mind with a spot light.  Mount it far enough forward that you do not get glare from your boat or rails.  I have a 25 ft Parker and mounted a spot light on top of the cabin way up front.  When I turned it on at night it was useless.  Not a cheap purchase either, just too much glare off of the white boat and bow rail.  If I had mounted it ON the bow rail, it would work great, but that would be too much wiring for me to want to get involved with it.  A hand held spot light and a good crewman to work it would be plenty enough.  West Marine had them on sale for $20.  Way cheaper than a mounted unit and you can use it for other applications also. (hunting, camping, etc).
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 07:35:34 PM »
spot light only works when there is something to reflect. in the open water its useless.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 10:52:03 AM »
however a fwd mounted spotlight helps you spot those logfish and railroadtie fish that are so prevalent in the SH and Rar bays-- maybe save your a$$.

but remember you prolly shouldn't be motoring that fast if you can't see em in the first place....

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 12:34:26 PM »
the only sure way is if you have a spot light at the bow, someone directly behind it as a look out, and drive very slow.  The light will not help you if your behind the wheel trying to focus on your GPS unless you have another set of eyes.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline TedSki

• TedSki.Net
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 10:21:10 PM »
The best way to avoid debris is to heed Rule 6.  The first element of Rule 6 is "state of visibilty".  Using a spotlight as a headlight will ruin the night vision of you, your crew, and other crews in your vicinity.  It can also cause a boat to not be able to see your nav lights properly, and therefore increase the risk of collision.  In addition, being that with a spotlight lit on your bow, nobody will be able to see your combo light or running light effectively, you may be subject to fine.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 10:47:09 PM »
Boy that says it all.  Why do they sell them?  Just to have it be used for emergency purposes?  I never had a spot on any of my boats and I had everything from a 10' Jon boat to a 27' Luhrs.  I never needed one, and I would run the bay from the P.P. canal to Barnegate Inlet.  We had a house on a lagoon off Silver Bay.

Your best bet is to let your night vision take over and once you have confidence in it you will see a light is not needed.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 11:56:31 PM »
The purpose of the spotlight on the boat is to pick up the buoys as you are traversing the channels.  You turn the light on, find the buoy, make your turn to stay afloat and turn the light off till needed again.  You use it to pick up other objects as well. 
In most, but not all, instances you will have enough light from the moon to be able to see most objects.

The spotlight does not and should not be on every moment you are on the water at night for the reasons stated by Ted and others.  Use it sparingly.

If you really have difficulty as night you can spring for several thousand dollars for a generation 3 night vision goggles.   ;D

Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline TedSki

• TedSki.Net
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 05:37:23 AM »
If you really have difficulty as night you can spring for several thousand dollars for a generation 3 night vision goggles.   ;D
Or stay home. ;)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 09:36:43 AM »
 whs   TT^
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 09:56:56 AM »
I have a spot light on my boat, I did mount it on the pulpit to avoid bow rail glare.I use it in tight situations, and to pick up any buoys or channel markers. As far as spotting debris in the water, unless you have somebody standing on the bow looking almost straight down and making minimal way, in the open waters,  it will almost be impossible to spot logs and other debris in the swells, no matter what kind of light used. The reflections, glare, and contrasting that goes on will make it virtually impossible.
On flat calmer waters it would be more useful.
In open water save your night vision keep a comfortable speed, and keep in mind you are always at risk of hitting debris. This is my experience at night off shore fishing.

Capt. Mike

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 03:18:01 PM »
Boy that says it all.  Why do they sell them?  Just to have it be used for emergency purposes?  I never had a spot on any of my boats and I had everything from a 10' Jon boat to a 27' Luhrs.  I never needed one, and I would run the bay from the P.P. canal to Barnegate Inlet.  We had a house on a lagoon off Silver Bay.

Your best bet is to let your night vision take over and once you have confidence in it you will see a light is not needed.

Happy Catching

Paul
they aren't really made for spotting the water for vision, they were made for spotting things, like boarding other boats, spotting for fish, spotting for the purpose of looking for things, not for the purpose of safty because they are useless... and you shouldn't rely on them at all.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 10:38:41 PM »
Thanks for the advise guys.  i guess I'll save a few bucks.    I do have a hand held just in case though.
Keith
Franklin, N.J.
Proud member of the I.B.E.W. local 827

MAKO 250wa twin 150 E-tecs
  Happily fishing out of Atlantic Highlands Municiple Marina.

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 11:14:57 AM »
I have a question on the lighting topic, if anyone has any experience with this...  How long can lights stay on with the engine off before they run down the battery?  I want to try a little night fishing, but I also don't want to get stuck out there with a dead battery.  The boat only has one battery in it.

Should I be looking for a way to add another battery somehow?  What about "duel use/deep cycle" batteries vs. regular marine starting batteries?

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-