Author Topic: Manasquan  (Read 23115 times)

Offline Scott Bailey

• seabass sharks cod ling stripers i love fishing
Manasquan
« on: May 26, 2014, 10:12:34 PM »
il be fishing manasquan inlet saturday from the wall at night anybody have any tips for me

Offline cricker

Re: Manasquan
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 07:56:14 AM »
i would try throwing some chunks of fresh bunker up current and let them drift down, with little or no weight, there should be lots of blues and maybe a bass around, also black bombers and metals can be pretty good at night... good luck

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 08:29:26 PM »
 whs, good luck,    Probably fluke on the bottom too. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 12:03:55 AM »
i would try throwing some chunks of fresh bunker up current and let them drift down, with little or no weight, there should be lots of blues and maybe a bass around, also black bombers and metals can be pretty good at night... good luck

thanks hunter i only have frozen bunker but they are vacuum sealed would that work ? and il buy a bomber plug when i go to dicks tomorrow  should i tie steal leaders for the blues
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:09:28 AM by Scott Bailey »

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 12:07:59 AM »
whs, good luck,    Probably fluke on the bottom too. t^

thanks and last time i was there i got a 24 incher on a plain squid strip i  had to use about 6 ounces to hold bottom though il be buying squid and killies too if we get there in time

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 12:12:48 AM »

thanks hunter i only have frozen bunker but they are vacuum sealed would that work ? and il buy a bomber plug when i go to dicks tomorrow  should i tie steal leaders for the blues  and how can i land a bass there my net only has a 3 foot handle

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 06:07:21 AM »
If your catching many blues and are worried about losing a lure a steel leader is a good idea. 

Maybe someone else who fish's that area can help with the landing net question.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Offline cricker

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 07:56:27 AM »
frozen bunker works fine for blues, you can even cut it in strips for fluke, just salt it lightly so it doesnt turn to mush and if your gonna try fluke fishin you dont really need to hold bottom just be near it, when i bank fish for fluke i use a bucktail or sinker just heavy enough to hit the bottom and drift it along with the current

Offline Adam W.

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 01:05:41 PM »
Jetty spikes should be a staple for anyone fishing rocks, once you lose that first fish,no matter what species, because you couldn't get to it, you will   rgmn
"I hear banjos, paddle faster!!"

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 04:16:27 PM »
okay thanks guys il be wearing my boots which are nonslip so hopefuly i wont loose any fish

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 04:20:26 PM »
Boots are fine for the wall and the flat part of the rocks.  If you are going to be climbing down the rocks, to the water's edge (like to net a fish) you may want some sort of jetty spikes like Korkers.

BTW, a 3' handle net is better than nothing, but you may want to get something longer.

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »
Boots are fine for the wall and the flat part of the rocks.  If you are going to be climbing down the rocks, to the water's edge (like to net a fish) you may want some sort of jetty spikes like Korkers.

BTW, a 3' handle net is better than nothing, but you may want to get something longer.

yeah thats true but i dont have a pair i may have to get wet if i catch something worthwhile like a nice bass but il be using 25 lb floro leader so anything under 15 lbs i should be able to CAREFULLY lift up i also have a snag trebble hook and a 12/0 shark hook that i can work into the fishes mouth thats on 30 lb mono and ive heard that fluke once they are tired out can be flipped onto the shore is this true ?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:30:16 PM by Scott Bailey »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »
steel leader will ruin the movement of the bomber.. Also use mono leader.  You should be find if the bomber is large enough.. only use steel leader when chunking.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline cricker

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »
if your worried about gettin bitten off use 50 lb mono leader, it wont ruin the action of your plug or spook stripers like wire does and really takes a lot to get bitten off, i rarely use wire and cant remember ever getting bitten off with 50 lb mono leader even with some 4-5 lb blues, and no fish is worth risking your life for, if your walking on wet rocks around that inlet without spikes you are risking your life, those rocks are worse then ice when they are wet and one slip can be all it takes, you can try flipping fish up to the wall but its 50/50 whether or not they stay on i would invest in a long net or gaff,

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 01:11:17 PM »
 whs about the jetties. (We were typing at the same time.)

yeah thats true but i dont have a pair i may have to get wet if i catch something worthwhile like a nice bass but il be using 25 lb floro leader so anything under 15 lbs i should be able to CAREFULLY lift up i also have a snag trebble hook and a 12/0 shark hook that i can work into the fishes mouth thats on 30 lb mono and ive heard that fluke once they are tired out can be flipped onto the shore is this true ?

It's not just a matter of simply getting wet. Those jetties are like ice (especially nearer to the water).  Slip on them and you could break a bone, your skull or even be swept out to sea.

I've seen, first hand, a guy that fell off the south jetty in Barnegat Light.  He had to fight a strong, outgoing tide.  He was lucky he made it back to the rocks.  No broken bones, but he was pretty torn up - cuts, scrapes, bruises, sore ribs, etc.

Not trying to scare you, but you need to be careful out there, especially at night. t^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »
I would disagree about the heavy mono though.  I use 80 lb mono on my bunker liveline rigs and the blues can chomp right through them.

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 05:21:25 PM »
yeah on that case i wont be going on the rocks any idea on how to lengthen my net handle somehow ? ive heard pvc pipe works and i have a rig tied up with about a foot of 38 lb wire with a 3/0 gami and a swivel so i hope that works lol and im gonna be fishing with 25 lb floro leader for the fluke/flounder
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 06:03:32 PM by Scott Bailey »

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 09:06:26 AM »
A couple of hose clamps and a pipe or long broomstick should help lengthen the net.
Eddie "Hunter 2"

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 10:01:20 AM »
If you on the wall on the PP side, you don't really need a net to land most fish.  I've only seen people using a net a few times for larger bass.  The wall isn't that high to lift fish out of the water.  Night fishing there has always been a tough bite for me and most others from what I see when I go there on night trips.  Have had more success on the north jetty on the Squan side but you definitely need some foul weather gear and supreme footwear since the waves crash pretty good on that side.  Depending on what you're after, try Mantoloking bridge at night.  That's where I start my night fishing circuit. If nothing more, you'll atleast be able to catch some live bait and save some $$$ and try other spots

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 10:50:51 AM »
As far as mono or wire goes...If you are bait fishing - wire. Plugs/metals - mono.

Keep in mind, if you are fishing plugs/metals, the hook is attached to your lure and far enough away from the attachment point of the mono that the blue fish's teeth typically won't be close enough to the mono to chew it.
On a bait rig, the attachment point to the hook is right at the teeth of the yellow eyed monster.

So, for me, it's wire with bait and mono with plugs/metals.

I hope I explained it clear enough to understand what I am getting at.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-