Author Topic: Part Boat Tuna Setup  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
Part Boat Tuna Setup
« on: June 03, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »
OK guys, I've never been to the canyons but prefer my own setup for the upcoming tuna trip.  I keep coming across some deals that really can't pass up even if I only get out for tuna a couple times a year.  I already purchased a Makaira 50WII and am looking for a nice rod to compliment it.  I went out to Long Island a few weeks ago to a N/S shop to check out the Makaira and a few rods.  I looked at a Phenix rod but I don't remember what model.  I'm going to try and call to get that info for comparisons. I also looked at the Terez Rail Rod which I also liked and I can get a deal on. Then I went to another shop here in NJ and they made a suggestion of a tilefish rod. I'm leaning towards the Terez Rail Rod right now because it's reinforced specifically for that purposed. Anyone Have any other suggestions?

Offline Reefsquatter

Re: Part Boat Tuna Setup
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:20:16 PM »
On a party boat you have a rail to help (if not seeking a record) but you have a lot of hull below you. I would suggest looking at a 7 foot rod if you have that must buy flowing through your blood. You can get away with short rods but when you hook a fish running under and around the boat the length will be more than welcomed, but many including some so called experts like 5'6" rods. Some guys swear by roller guides but on a party boat your fish may be running you around a bit more so I would caution against it.
If I were you, I would use what you have the first trip. Something that will handle 100You will get a feel for what your doing and hopefully for how you handle a few fish. You will know what suits you better with experience.

If you have to buy something then your on the right track . Calstar 700 H is a nice party boat rod that's been used for a while too, you may be able to find a used one now at a good price.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-