Author Topic: 10-20 & 10-21 Salmon River Fishing (W/ pictures just added)  (Read 4698 times)

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
10-20 & 10-21 Salmon River Fishing (W/ pictures just added)
« on: October 22, 2007, 06:33:54 AM »
Alright here is my report for my fishing trip to the Salmon River in upstate New York for October 20th and 21st.
Saturday morning, started out where I left off 2 weeks ago. Fished between the black hole and the stair case. Found a few holes in the morning on one side of an island (because the other side is supposedly private property) and I made out farely well.
My cousin hooked up with his first salmon of his life and the first salmon of our trip. A nice 19-20 pound King on an orange sponge. I thought he was going to faint after he caught it. I then caught the next fish which was another king salmon. Father caught one after that, then my other cousin caught his. We each had 1 fish through lunch time and right before we were going to wrap it up and get some food and head to Altmar I hooked up with another king.
Later on we fished the metal bridge just past Fat Nancy's Bait Shop and I got another king. Ended saturday with 3 kings, and the others each with one. We ended up with 6 king salmon total. Sunday morning, started out where we started saturday. Barley any people out there so PLENTY of fish in our spot again. It is an amazing feeling when your alone in a spot and you see 2 or 3 salmon just drifting in the current and your taking 20 casts at it.

Absolutley LOVE salmon fishing. I caught 2 in the first 2 hours, then my dad got a nice 28 pounder, then they got a bunch more after that. THEN, I got my first steelhead of the year, and the first out of the crowd! Wasnt huge, but wasnt small. Beautiful fish though, nice chrome color with the black top, it gave me a run for my life for then the salmon did. Finally sort of tired it out, father was there to net it for me. I had 3 kings and 1 steelhead on sunday. Ended my trip with 6 king salmon, and 1 steelhead, and the crew (Me, cousin Kyle, cousin Dom, and father Mark Sr.) with a total of 16 king salmon and 1 steelhead. Biggest fish caught by my dad at 28 pounds. Water level is at 185 cfs. Actually seems pretty high when your fishing in it compared to what it has been the other times I have been up this year. Cant wait until my november steelhead trip. Hope everyone enjoyed the report. Oh and one funny thing, my cousin kyle hooked a salmon, but instead of hooking the salmon he hooked the eel that was suctioned to the side of the salmon, that came apart from the salmon and he brought the eel in, there is a picture of it on bottom  5hrug ;)

P.S
Got one of my kings smoked overnight the first night with Regular Cajun seasoning. I recommend that. It is AMAZING.

Salmon On
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 07:40:25 PM by Hotrod »
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: 10-20 & 10-21 Salmon River Fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 09:02:26 AM »
Nice report and great catch.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:11:29 AM »
Great report Mark,

It seems like you have them dialed in pretty good.  Nice Job.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 09:54:25 AM »
Way to catch'um up Fishon t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 10:53:03 AM »
Great report!... way to whack the chinooks, and congrats on the steelhead, nothing like fresh chrome to get the drag a smokin!   t^

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 12:06:48 PM »
Salmon On

t^

you ain't kiddin'

nice catch

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
Re: 10-20 & 10-21 Salmon River Fishing (W/ pictures just added)
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 05:59:22 PM »
Thanks guys, just added pictures to the post
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 07:27:31 PM »
sweet
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline brijones1

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 07:32:59 PM »
nice fish  TT^, the chromer was a nice bonus
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 08:34:45 PM »
Nicely done!  t^ Haven't gone salmon fishing yet but I think I know where I want to go and with who TT^ (this should NOT be taken with any thought other than a guy just wanting to go fishing. NOTHING gay!( not that there's anything wrong with that. :-\))
I think I could be a really good people person if wasn't for the people.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 06:04:22 AM »
thanks alot guys for the responses

haha gregman, if you go up, tell me, i know all the spots i will fill you in with some good information..... also i may be going up early to mid november for steelhead and some left over salmon fishing.... good luck

Fish On

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-