Author Topic: Abu-Garcia Workhorse Series rods?  (Read 5482 times)

Offline wink_man

Abu-Garcia Workhorse Series rods?
« on: October 26, 2007, 07:00:44 AM »
Anyone familiar with these rods, own one, or have any input on them? I went out last night to get some jigheads, and saw this rod and really liked it. They are a graphite composite rod with a solid fiberglass tip. Guides inserts are chrome plated SS304 stainless, which they claim are as hard as aluminum oxide, but much stronger. Handle is all cork, God I love cork, feels so nice and comfortable, like I'm back in the 60's again.
It's a one piece spinning rod, medium-heavy action, 7 feet. The rod has a LOT of backbone, and a very stiff and sensitive tip, yet is very very light. Would seem to me to be the type of rod you can cast lures with all day, and won't wear you down, yet could tame a big cow striper quickly. The rod also has a 10 year warranty, and you can register it online, so I figuered on sale for 25 dollars, it was a no brainer. I put an Abu-Garcia MX130R rear drag reel on it that I had at home. This is a smaller reel, which I really like, trying to keep the outfit as light as possible for casting. I also have 3 spools for it, so can change line easily depending on conditions. If anyone has used one, I'd like to hear your input on it.
Garry 

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Abu-Garcia Workhorse Series rods?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 09:17:08 AM »
Garry,
I have never used one but it sounds like you found a winner there.  Good luck with it and catch em up.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Abu-Garcia Workhorse Series rods?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
It sounds like you have your mind made up already.  If it feels good to you and you feel confident in the manufacture go for it.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-