Author Topic: JCAA Tournament feedback  (Read 2878 times)

Offline SHARKBITE

• Shark Bite Bucktails
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Shark Bite Bucktails
JCAA Tournament feedback
« on: August 02, 2014, 08:17:49 PM »
Today had to be one of the worst days to hold a fluke tournament given the advisory issued and the weather conditions that existed. I will probably take some slack for this and know Paul is a member here and I had sent a message before the tourney. I have fished this tournament for years, even in some pretty foul weather when it was held in June previously, but nothing like today where we made the decision after our prop was not ready to replace to fish from a party boat, just so we could use our entry. The the entire fleet of party boats from Belmar made the call to return to port by 11AM due to the weather conditions and rough seas from a safety standpoint. The small boats I did see out there, I prayed for their safe return. Yes, there is the option to fish the inlet and bays and some were successful I understand but why force that? My ultimate point here being, I understand rain or shine and fully understand the disclaimers put forth by the JCAA.org for a captain to make a decision on whether to fish or not , but when the forecasted weather was as bad as it was and posted by 2AM in the morning, many anglers are putting up entry fees they are then not able to use. Consideration in the future needs to be given to a potential cancellation or postponement date. This is my .02 on this right , wrong indifferent and hope that the feedback is taken into consideration for all just as the date changes that have been made based on angler input.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: JCAA Tournament feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:04:31 PM »
I feel your pain. Don't know what, if anything, can be done with a one day tournament that gets weathered out.

Hard to hand out a refund when you this is your major fund raiser. Also hard to reschedule as some who registered and paid may only have that particular day to fish. I don't really know what the answer is.  5hrug
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 07:28:56 AM »
I decided not to sail yesterday myself. $1200 for first prize is just not worth it. Sucks to blow entry money, but at least I live to fish another day. Was not too nice last year either. They have got to come up with an alternative plan for conditions like this.

With that said, congratulations to the winner with the 11 lb Fluke, that's a nice fish, rain or shine. 
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 09:51:21 AM »
We'll said Mike t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 11:06:57 AM »
I feel your pain. Don't know what, if anything, can be done with a one day tournament that gets weathered out.

Hard to hand out a refund when you this is your major fund raiser. Also hard to reschedule as some who registered and paid may only have that particular day to fish. I don't really know what the answer is.  5hrug

whs
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 11:47:33 AM »
Maybe next year, instead of entering early, we should all wait until the last minute entry deadline of midnight prior to the Tournament to see how the weather forecast is. If you decide to fish, enter online the night before. Yes its just a few bucks more, but it's insurance against the loss the way I figure it.
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 01:05:15 PM »
 Just a thought, if the weather presents a real danger, maybe cancel and have a drawing for the prize money.
Paul cell 908-415-9542

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »
but... if your prop was ready, would you have sailed??? ???perhaps next year be ready, or book with a boat that can handle the conditions.

just sayin'  clp

and if I was givin you slack I'd be cuttin you a break, not callin you on it

Offline SHARKBITE

• Shark Bite Bucktails
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Shark Bite Bucktails
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 08:33:56 PM »
but... if your prop was ready, would you have sailed??? ???perhaps next year be ready, or book with a boat that can handle the conditions.

just sayin'  clp

and if I was givin you slack I'd be cuttin you a break, not callin you on it

If the prop was ready (scheduled to be ready by Friday and wasn't so you're right, should have been prepared) No, given the conditions and reports that posted at 2AM, I would not have sailed. Boats that COULD and DID handle said they had no right being out there in the ocean. Ended up on a 125 ft "tank" that was taking waves over the bow and also decided to return to port for safety purposes along with an entire fleet of boats...thus the basis for the post. Most ended up back in the rivers. I'm asking for consideration going forward so that all have the opportunity to fish the tournaments they put the hard earned money up to be in. I guess we're both just sayin' ???  5hrug
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:37:30 PM by SHARKBITE »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-