Author Topic: Fluke fishing 2008 season  (Read 3855 times)

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
Fluke fishing 2008 season
« on: November 01, 2007, 07:48:45 PM »
I just caught the tail end of a channel 12 news report about the future of the 2008 fluke season. The reporter talked to the owner of the fishermans den, he said if the season was canceled the store and all the charter and party boats would go out of business. The report also stated that fluke fishing makes up 50% of the recreational fishing in the state. It also said that the powers in charge of this decision feel that New Jersey has over fished the fluke population in past years and have caused this problem. We can not let this happen, there are to many hard working captains, mates and store owners that need this season to make a living and feed their families. Not to mention the private boat owners who fish for fluke as recreation, food and to share quality time with family and friends. I have many countless memories fishing with my father and I hope to make countless memories with my son and daughter. I never thought I would be writing about something like this, it make me sick. bngh I will pray that the decision is the right one and in favor of all of us. If anyone has any more info on this or saw the whole news report please let me know via a reply to this post. Sorry if a rambled but I am really pissed. Thanks for listening guys!

NJDEVIL >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Fluke fishing 2008 season
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 07:58:15 PM »
NJ,
I didn't hear the news report but this was in the Asbury Park Press.
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071031/SPORTS06/710310450/1020/SPORTS06

It kind of tells it all.  The guy who had a big ego because he is in charge of this wants things his way or no way.

These morons continue to say that the recs overfish but they can not come up with a way to verify their information.  It is absolutely impossible to figure out what the rec catch is PERIOD!

The best defense we have at this point is to launch a massive 'vote-out' of the politicians in Washington, DC.  They are the once who are keeping these insane restructuring ideas.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 08:04:22 PM »
Thank you for the reply Capt., you always reply to my post and it means alot to me. Like you said we need to vote these brian dead morons out of office and try and get some people in office with some common sense. thanks again Capt.

A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 10:00:22 PM »
TIME FOR THE EYE PATCHS AND HOSTING UP THE JOLLY RODGER MY BROTHERS t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 10:03:45 PM »
CaptBob, sorry to say, but you are right!  It will come to that if these people don't back off.  Once cornered, it's fight or flight.  I don't see too many flights from the people I talk to.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 10:07:53 PM »
Je,

We caught so many quality Fluke between SEpt 10 and OCt 10 it was sickening to throw them back....and i mean picking Fish from 20-25" on a regular basis.....the Fluking has never been better.......but those in power are Little Kings trying to control the subjects no matter how much it hurts them, or how wrong they are.

What baffels me is the politicians failing to take the bull by the horns and stp the trickle dwn economic disaster that will hurt everybody.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 10:17:40 PM »
The problem is, we keep electing these same jackasses.   bngh

Offline adesai73

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 10:47:30 PM »
TIME FOR THE EYE PATCHS AND HOSTING UP THE JOLLY RODGER MY BROTHERS t^

Aaaarrrggghhhh...!  ;D

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 05:54:22 AM »
i have to agree with you Bob... fluke was unreal this season
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 07:12:13 AM »
Fluke fisherman are being asked to bend over, grab their ankles and cough once again only this time no lube ......... >:(

Now where did I place my eyepatch?

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 09:16:08 PM »
We do need to have some conservation, but sensible conservation. We need boarding states to set the same rules, limits, seasons and regulations as us. Each state needs to be comfortable with the length of the season and the daily limit.They need to be set by  representatives from each state with the knowledge and background in saltwater fish management and conservation. I do not think this is to much ask of our state officials. Even though they are a much of paper pushing jackasses. Did I say that out loud. Am I on track with this line of thinking or am I the jackass?

Offline wink_man

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 09:24:39 PM »
I put my lil ole opinion under 'news and information' under channel 12 news fluke, but I'll put it here too:

Who is the NFMS trying to kid?? Why don't they present the REAL facts. Fact is, if you really want to increase the biomass of a fishery, stop commercial netting and sale of such fish.

Striped Bass have to be the most typical example. They were in serious trouble, untill commercial netting and sale was banned. You don't need a size limit or bag limit on stripers for recreational fisherman, there is no way recreational fisherman today, with rod and real could hurt the biomass. Netting and commercial sale did.

Fact is, there is NO way recreational fisherman with rod & reel could hurt the biomass of ANY fish species.

If the NFMS really wants to increase the biomass of fluke, I think they'd do real well in following the example of saving the striped bass. BAN commercial netting and sale !!!!

Just my personal thoughts and opinions, LOL.

Garry

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 11:05:54 PM »
Fluke fisherman are being asked to bend over, grab their ankles and cough once again only this time no lube ......... >:(

Now where did I place my eyepatch?

I have a hard time grabbing my ankels as do a few of us I'm sure.  So just give me the patch now

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 11:17:49 PM »
Hi Wink_Man,

You solved the code.

This is about the Commercial Fisherman vs. The Environmentalists. We (Recreational Fisherman)are the bycatch ... We are also looking at this too narrowly. This is not about Summer Flounder/Fluke. This is about all fishing.

As myself and many of my friends have tried to point out, for Recreational Fisherman to succeed in protecting our rights to fish, we have to fight the Comms and Environmentalists, two very strong groups. This is difficult! We have been given band aids by the politicians in the past when we open our mouths and we think that was good. The whole time it was getting us closer to more and more fishing closures. Those band aids were never good and we should have not settled for them at the time.

We need our own strong lobby! The JCAA and RFA are just OK. We need and deserve better. We need our own leadership.

For the record, I have no love for the Commercial fisherman. For the most part, they rape the resources and destroy the ocean bottom with their equipment. I do not buy the arguement that they are just trying to make a living. The biggest offenders are not "Mom and Pop" business owners. They are huge companies. Watch their operations sometime.

I am glad folks are starting to get it!

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:32:29 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline wink_man

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 11:50:59 PM »
Hi Wink_Man,

You solved the code.

This is about the Commercial Fisherman vs. The Environmentalists. We (Recreational Fisherman)are the bycatch ... We are also looking at this too narrowly. This is not about Summer Flounder/Fluke. This is about all fishing.

Capt. Ed

Yup, it's always been about all fishing, and in every example of biomass depletion, commercial netters and draggers are, as you state, 'raping the resource'.

The tree hugging liberal envoronmentalists find flounder palatable, and like to be able to buy it in Shoprite, so they have no problem with the commercial fishery. They obviously don't like bluefish, LMAO. My son works in Shoprite, and he told me they got some bluefish in, and couldn't sell it.

Really I see the tree hugging liberals as merely a thorn in our side, compared to the commercial fishery. There's BIG money there, and I'm sure plenty of payola going on so they can get their way with the fishery they desire.

So are fisheries getting managed, or mismanaged for the sake of money, graft, generous donations to political coffers, etc. Perhaps NFMS should delve into this, perhaps they are part of the problem?

I do know there's never been a fishery depleted in which only recreational fishing is allowed, I think that pretty much proves where and who ultimately does the damage, and I'm sure NMFS is aware of this, so why is it overlooked??

Undfortunately, it's all about money, right down to MISmanagement for the sake of money, and you are correct, we need a more powerful voice, and more money to fight with. Eliminate, defeat, or reduce commercial fishing way below what it currently is, and there will be no biomass depletion of any fish species.
Garry

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 01:19:48 PM »
We caught so many quality Fluke between SEpt 10 and OCt 10 it was sickening to throw them back....and i mean picking Fish from 20-25" on a regular basis.....the Fluking has never been better.......

That sums it up nicely as far as my personal experience and what I've heard and read this year.

Fix the commercial fishery, fix the "problem." Recreationally and commercially there should be size parity- a 14" fluke is either LEGAL or ILLEGAL- shouldn't depend on who catches it. If the price goes up in ShopRite well maybe I'll either make it a point to get out fishing more or get some prime rib in ShopRite (or both.) Better yet expose that the lawmakers are the real problem and fix that. They need to be required to "walk the walk," anyone can talk. Maybe they'll pass a law says blue cars can do 90 on the parkway but all others only 65. Then they'd vote themselves blue cars and force fishermen to buy green cars. Ok enough sorry, I'm rambling and really need to get a blue car before they're made illegal...  >:(

Man I need to get out fishing....

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-