Author Topic: New rod suggestion?  (Read 6459 times)

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
New rod suggestion?
« on: November 09, 2007, 01:40:50 PM »
Looking to add yet another fishing rod to my collection.
Looking for a 7' or so rod to use for live lining adult bunker for bass in spring along with jigging metals up to 4-5oz MOderatly priced (not intersted in spending $150 for the rod- something reasonable, local custom made is fine.

Reel will usually be a Shimano Triton 200 Charter special Lever Drag or an Ambassader 9000 Lever drag.

Offline fishinfool

• Facebook Page
Re: New rod suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 02:08:40 PM »
Looking to add yet another fishing rod to my collection.
Looking for a 7' or so rod to use for live lining adult bunker for bass in spring along with jigging metals up to 4-5oz MOderatly priced (not intersted in spending $150 for the rod- something reasonable, local custom made is fine.

Reel will usually be a Shimano Triton 200 Charter special Lever Drag or an Ambassader 9000 Lever drag.

bngh  bngh  bngh

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 02:25:30 PM »
It never ends fishinfool,  grtn rofla
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 02:28:09 PM »
I tried counting my rods once.  I stopped when I got to fifty and still had a lot more to go.   TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 02:32:16 PM »
I have around 25-30 or so. May father has at least 55 or so (at the very least) and he doesn't even charter or anything, just pleasure fishes :)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 02:43:39 PM »
This might be a dumb question but why so many rods. 

When I fish the suds and not driving on the beach I only carry only one rod with me.  I know my game plan and always bring one of two rods either my 7' 6" or my 8' rod.  If I hit the beach with my Expedition I bring maybe 4 at the most because I know 2 will be used for bait and 2 for plugging.

I can think of a lot of other gadgets to  buy and try like new plugs or metals, new equipment for tying flies or bucktails and a new lathe for turning plugs.

I have 6 rods that I have had for over 10 years and one for close to 20 that I retied for my daughters first rod and reel. 

I guess I'm just frugal  5hrug

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 02:53:47 PM »
A LOT different owning a boat then 1 person fishing from shore..

Have to have trolling rods (of various configs). I have my fluking/bottom fishing rods for lighter weight, shallower water (both spin and conventional), heavier  bottom rods for faster drift, heavier weight deeper water, heavier spinning rods, lighter freshwater rods/snapper, rods for jigging heavier lures, live lining adult bunker,etc.

When you fish from the beach, you are supplying rods for 1 person. When I fish with friends that do not have their own tackle who I invite on our boat, I have to have extra for them + I have a wife and son who sometimes fish too and they need gear as well.

Hell, Young Gull fishes like 6 rods at 1 time all by himself just fluking :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 02:55:24 PM by mboy »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 02:54:31 PM »
I have had people show up at my boat with only a lunch.  Sometimes not even that!  There are times that I invite people who have never fished before and I supply these people with rods n reels and all the terminal tackle.

I also fish for a lot of different species and need the variety of sizes and action on the rods.  Even for fluke fishing I have several different rods, depending on if we are fishing shallow water (close to the beach where you only need an ounce or two to hold bottom) or in deeper water where I have used up to sixteen ounces to hold bottom.

Offline brijones1

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 03:26:34 PM »

Hell, Young Gull fishes like 6 rods at 1 time all by himself just fluking :)

6 rod charters with young gull  grtn
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 04:00:41 PM »
I'd suggest a Lami BL7025 or 7030 but probably at the high end of what you want to spend.

Not familiar with alot of the inexpensive rods, but probably Tica or Tsunami has something that'll work.

I basically go with custom rods now that a buddy builds.  Still expensive, but they're exactly what I want and need and look awful purty too ;)
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 04:05:56 PM »
What do his customs run?

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 04:49:58 PM »
He wraps some fancy stuff so they're a bit high, probably starting at $500+ but quite comparable to othe LINY builders.
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline fishinfool

• Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 05:30:16 PM »
He wraps some fancy stuff so they're a bit high, probably starting at $500+ but quite comparable to othe LINY builders.

:o  :o  thud

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 05:36:18 PM »
Wow, your buddy is a better rapper than  Snoop Doggy Dogg  TT^

Offline fishinfool

• Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 06:07:01 PM »
 rofla rofla

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 08:41:55 PM »
Yeah, I hear you mboy.  In saltwater I fish  back bay, surf, party boats, piers and bridges.  In freshwater I fish lakes and rivers for largemouth and smallmouth, with an occasional trip for some peacock bass. 

So you might guess that I have quite a bunch of rods too! ::)

Actually I think new  gear is part of the fun of fishing!  When that tackle monkey gets on my back, I gotta get my fix!

If you're looking for a decent, inexpensive "off the rack" rod for what you're looking to do, try the heavy action Shimano Convergence Muskie rods.  They run 6'6" and 7' and have a lifetime warranty.  They are available at select D!ck's stores for around $70. ;D

-Bob

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 08:52:19 PM »
I have several Fenwick HMXT(66)(70)MHC that I find is a great all around rod.  I use it for fluking, seabass, stripers, etc.  The (66)(70) are the lengths. six foot six inches and seven foot. 

Good backbone and great feel.   t^  Should retail for around $80-$90 or so.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 07:59:08 AM »
First of all, I'd thought you be alittle smarter than to post about wanting to buy a new fishing rod (regardless of how much you want to spend) on a board that your wife reads  bngh...2 demerits.

The rod I use is a Rogue 705C. I use this when using jigs of 6-8 ounces as well as live lining bunkers. It probably cost at the top end of what you want to spend @$150...but check Ebay..thats where I picked up mine brand new for alot less.

Other option is go with a Tsunami Class 701 XXH or the XH. My son has the XH and it is his primary jigging, chunking & live lining set up. Har-Lee Rods in Jersey City carries the Tsunamis.

BTW, the Rogue can serve as a backup blackfishing stick.

Now man up and get the Rogue  TT^ and I'll remove your 2 demerits

Sorry FishinFool..but buying fishing rods to a man is like buying shoes, pocketbooks, makeup etc. etc. to a woman ;D.

BTW, my personal rod arsenal now stands at 53 and counting..... t^
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 08:04:13 AM by Skolmann »

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 08:09:01 AM »
First of all, I'd thought you be alittle smarter than to post about wanting to buy a new fishing rod (regardless of how much you want to spend) on a board that your wife reads  bngh...2 demerits.

The rod I use is a Rogue 705C. I use this when using jigs of 6-8 ounces as well as live lining bunkers. It probably cost at the top end of what you want to spend @$150...but check Ebay..thats where I picked up mine brand new for alot less.

Other option is go with a Tsunami Class 701 XXH or the XH. My son has the XH and it is his primary jigging, chunking & live lining set up. Har-Lee Rods in Jersey City carries the Tsunamis.

BTW, the Rogue can serve as a backup blackfishing stick.

Now man up and get the Rogue  TT^ and I'll remove your 2 demerits

Sorry FishinFool..but buying fishing rods to a man is like buying shoes, pocketbooks, makeup etc. etc. to a woman ;D.

BTW, my personal rod arsenal now stands at 53 and counting..... t^

Can't stop me, only hope to contain me.

Other then the clutter of having that much fishing gear in our Apt, I don't think she really cares if I buy a fishing rod or not.

It was HER idea to buy the boat :)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 08:29:31 AM »
BRAVO, you earned yourself 3 gold stars for the strategy of putting the blame on someone else and going on the offensive... t^ ;D t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-