Author Topic: Summer Flounder Fishery  (Read 13940 times)

Offline Captain Dave Wittenborn

• Sponsor
    • Capt Daves Charters
Summer Flounder Fishery
« on: November 29, 2007, 03:35:43 PM »
I am going to try and make it to the meeting on December 13. Check out the Save the Summer Flounder Fishery web site to get some more info and directions. http://www.ssfff.net/index.html

We need to do all we can.

Captain Dave
www.captaindavescharters.com
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 03:39:20 PM by Captain Dave Wittenborn »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Summer Flounder Fishery
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 06:07:39 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline bowguide

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 06:10:05 PM »
Thanks for the info..who knows maybe we can finally make a difference t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 09:57:21 PM »
If we all can keep our focus on the prize we all will be able to breath a lot easier, but we can not let our guard down now now.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 10:13:54 PM »
Glad Pallone is helping out.  He can usually get things done pretty effectively once he gets involved.  It helps that we don't have the rely on Republicans alone, since they aren't the majority party in DC anymore.

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 08:26:19 AM »
Thanks for the info Capt. We all need to chip in and do all we can do. Go to meetings, write to your politicians etc. If there are not changes made My feeling is that we are looking at a real small season. It may not be more that 2 months long.

I believe that we need to make changes to the Magnison Ferguson Act. It is not realistic. Also need to get out of the stone age in how scientific data is gathered.

I could go on and on. We need to make changes now.

• Sponsor
    • Capt Daves Charters
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 01:47:47 PM »
The latest info that I have is that we are looking at a 4 bag limit at 18.5".  The bag limit is like giving us the sleeves off their vest.  I don't know too many people that limited out last season at 17".   A half day trip with 4 guys was lucky to see 8 keepers between the whole boat.

Captain Dave

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 02:06:30 PM »
The 18.5 could be the ruse to test the waters and see the reaction that they receive.  I hope it doesn't go any higher than that next year.

This is just like shutting down the season.  What ever happened to the slot limit theory?  Or does that make too much sense 5hrug

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 04:58:08 PM »
The bottom line is that people are going to just start taking the chance on not getting caught and ignoring the law altogether.  You don't want that, because when used properly, size/bag limits conserve the fishery.  It's going to be difficult for people to catch an 18" fluke and throw it back as a "short."

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 05:58:44 PM »
Bottom line is, the Magnuson-Stevens act MUST be amended.  Short of that, anything we have to offer will fall on deaf ears.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 06:42:47 PM »
You are exactly right TurboDan,

This conversation came up while watching the bird action over at Ortley this morning.  The concensus is if an 18" fish was boated they will take the chance in not getting caught.  One person even went to say with the price of fuel, bait and tackle the $75.00 fine would be worth it.

I don't think I would go that far but the skuttle butt is that it won't matter the fish is theirs, period.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

• Sponsor
    • Capt Daves Charters
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 08:42:10 PM »
When the size limits first began 9 or so years ago, it was around 14.5" or 15".  We all agreed that a fish much smaller probably should be thrown back and we all bought into the idea.  I am pro conservation all the way.  The fluke fishing was so bad in the 80's that an 18" fluke was a door mat.  Things have improved dramatically and I do not know how they feel the need to keep squeezing everyone for an arbitrary biomass number that probably will never be reached without completely shutting down the entire fishery for a couple of years.  This is the end game that the PETA folks and their friends were hoping for and I think they may get their wish unless we fight.  Pouching is not going to help the overall effort.
Captain Dave

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 08:40:28 AM »
NO NO NO! Pouching is not the thing to do. I for one when I see people around the dock that have kept shorts let them know how I feel about it. I may not make a new friend, but friends like that I don't need. The one that really gets me is a father and son that have caught 8 fish with one legal and the rest short by a lot. What is that teaching the son???

Capt Dave have you heard anthing on the length of the season for next year? Down hear I keep hearing 2 months??

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 09:47:38 AM »
I understand that, but the consensus that day along with the frustration factor is starting to have that type of thinking started already.  Our politicians are driving good honest people to do things they normally do not do.  These people are your average Joe, a grandfather, a local gov. employee, a retiree and the list goes on.

You can't blame them on their frustration.  By telling them to get out and go to meetings is even more frustrating to them.  The only way they have a voice is through the ballot box.  Going to meetings is not it.

We as active members of this site have to come up with a way to make the politician truly understand the deep feelings of the average guy out there.

Petitions don't work because of the political boundaries and the fact that a person in one location might not be of importance to the elected official of a different election location.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 01:19:51 PM »
No matter how you look at it pouching is wrong, its not the answer to ease the frustration. That is like some one with a drinking problem saying I'll just have one  small drink. It only masks the problem the frustration at that one moment that one particular time. What do these honest Joe's do the next time they are confronted with the same decision. I'll tell you they will continue to pouch. In the end it has done nothing to help your situation but make it worse. The circle will go round and round.

I do believe that the solution is with the politicians. They need to change policy with the Mag. Ferg. Act. We need to vote in the people that will support the fishing industry. We then need to encourage these people to get the job done. Which means being at meetings and doing whatever else it takes to fight to get it done. BUT pouching is not the answer. Not even one time. Not by any person no matter the frustration.Only my opinion

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 02:37:35 PM »
Preach it to the grandfather out there I agree but the level of mistrust is running higher than I ever seen in a long tome.

I don't believe in pouching and never will but if push comes to shove it will happen. 

Can you say Boston Tea Party...

This will be the Jersey Fluke Rebellion...

Its coming,  people have had enough of the antis and the politicians double talk that something is going to happen.  Just talk to the guy on the beach not only the boating public.

Everyone has to push in one direction, including the commercial entities like B&T's, manufacturers of tackle, boat dealers, boat manufacturers, everyone with a vested interest in fishing.

The little guy can not do it alone.  I guess once the manufacturers start to go belly up they might take notice.  Till then apathy reigns supreme,  bngh

My .02

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

• Sponsor
    • Capt Daves Charters
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 02:47:41 PM »
I have not heard anything on the length of next years season.  Anything short of Labor Day will create a revolt among the average citizen and that is the last thing environmentalists within the Fed want to happen.  They figure they can close a couple of days after Labor Day because most people have ended their summer and the kids are back in school and playing sports on the weekends.  The environmental groups who have a grip on the politicians are well financed, well organized and very smart.  They do not want to bring the part time family fisherman into this battle.  This is between the serious fisherman and environmental groups.  We need to get organized and get the average person on our side which is very difficult to do.
Captain Dave

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 03:17:21 PM »
I agree that we all need to be on the same page and pull together in the same direction. All being commercial interest, manufacturers both boat and tackle, charters as well as party boat operators, also the average person who is on vacation for a week. Everyone that is connected to the fishing and boating industry. If we can organise, In this way we can make some changes. Time will tell. I just don't know if we have much time.

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 11:48:21 PM »
I'm planning on attending the January meeting of Save The Summer Flounder Fishery Fund in Manasquan at the Elks.  It's a public meeting, so people should definitely come out.  I'll be able to do an article for the paper about it too, which is a nice bonus.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 11:50:07 PM »
Dan, I'm not sure that I have seen that meeting posted anywhere.  Can you give the date, time and place for it please?
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-