Author Topic: Captain's License  (Read 11288 times)

Offline Capt. Ed

Captain's License
« on: February 03, 2007, 12:15:52 PM »
Hi All,

If anyone is considering pursuing their Captain's License, please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have!

Have fun,

Capt. Ed

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
Re: Captain's License
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 01:46:10 PM »
how hard is it to obtain ,I have been tossing around the idea for about a while ,can you give me some basic direction,thanks in advance

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 02:14:05 PM »
Hi Catfish Hunter,

I highly recommend that if you decide to get a license, go take one of the courses from 3Bs Captain's Schools (http://captainsschool.com/) - I attended this one, Mariners School (http://www.marinersschool.com/) - I am considering this one for continued education or the like. It is well worth the investment.

I studied a lot before the course. I read books like Chapman Piloting. The trickiest part of the test to most is the Rules of the Road but some may argue that it is Navigation.

The hardest part I had was getting together all my documentation for sea time.

I went and got the license because I smelled the state starting to require safety courses and the like badck in 1999. It took them a while, but they finally got there (LOL).

I love boating so the knowledge I gained was worth the time, whether I got the license or not.

Feel free to fire away with questions ...

Have fun,

Capt. Ed

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 04:02:56 PM »
thanks ,I will have to pick up some books ,and start reading ,worst case is I might learn something

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 06:51:35 PM »

Capt. Ed is right it is well worth the time going to the course, even if just for your own benefit....Many don't know but when Sea School and the Mariners school are at major boat shows they offer up to $225.00 off the course price, a big savings, and you have up to 12 months to take one of the courses scheduled.........

Only thing I can say is to pay attention in the course and you'll do fine........when I took my class 9 out of 11 passed, the two that didn't came late, left early, and basically acted as if the information would just jump into their head.....as they say you get out of it what you put into it..............would love to see everybody go through the course.......once you learn the rules, your just amazed at how some of the nim-rods operate their rigs.

Anything we can do to help just ask

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 03:48:34 PM »
how do I prove my sea time ,I know I need to put it on paper but where do I get it{the paper work}.I spend about 2-3 days a week on the water not including running my turtle lines so I want to start recording it

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 01:41:19 AM »
Hi Catfish Hunter,

If you own or have owned your own boat, then you can document that time as the Captain/Crew.

If you have time on other people's boats, I documented that time and had them sign and notarize that I performed as a Captain/Crew on their boat.

I am not sure if this changed in past few years but I believe this to be correct.

Remember that it is important to document when you cross the "ColRegs Line" as that gives you credit toward "offshore" OUPV.

If you need help, give me a call ...

Have fun,

Capt. Ed

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 09:14:53 AM »
thanks for all the great info ,I am gonna go to the boat show this weekend and talk to some people

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 11:08:20 AM »
Hi Catfish Hunter,

I forgot to add that the school I went to, 3 Bs Captains School, had a retired USCG examiner who would help withthe paperwork.

If you need help or material, please do not be afraid to ask!

Best wishes,

Ed

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 07:50:02 PM »
i am considering taking this course just because i can. what should i expect,, course length?,, whats this documented time stuff do i have to have so many hours logged before i can get my license?
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 01:45:59 AM »
Hi Reel Time,

You need to fill out paperwork for sea service representing at least 360 days at sea (90 days within the last year). The number of hrs. does not necesarily mean 24 hrs. to count as one day.

The course I took ran three weekends, 8 hrs. a day. I studied a lot beforehand. The test was on the last day.

You will also need:

1. Physical including eye exam.
2. Drug test
3. References
4. First Aid training including CPR
5. Finger prints as per USCG instructions

The courses are well worth it.

When documenting the time, we have a nice advantage in the NJ area. As you cross the Col Regs line, you get credit toward offshore OUPV.

If you have specific questions, I will be glad to answer.

Tight lines,

Capt. Ed

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
Reel time,

Some of the schools do a full Sat and Sun, followed by 4 hrs a night during the week and then another full Sat and Sun.....test the following week.....some offer going a full week straight.....Sea School or Mariners School are your best bet....both are quality schools with good Instructors, each will also do the drug test for you and have the CPR First Aid courses......

Also for a small fee they will review your application package to see if anything is amiss.......you used to be able to be finger printed at your local PD, now you must go to the Coast Guard location ( New York, Boston, Phila).

As far as sea time at least 4 hrs on the boat in a 24 hr period counts as one day.

it seems complicated but it is not.

Anything we can do to help, good luck ;)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 08:52:07 PM »
Here is a link for license info.

http://www.uscg.mil/STCW/

The only documentation you need for sea service is to place the number of days on the form (can download from link).  You do not have to provide any type of log or verification.  You do have to provide proof of ownership (boat registration) for the boats you owned and are claiming time on.  Certification by owner of vessel you served on also goes on same form. 
Philly no longer does the licensing.
Drug test must be done compliant to DOT 5 panel test and must be signed by Medical Review Officer.
You will have to go to CG for fingerprinting and photo.
Hope this helps,
Joe
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 10:19:16 PM »
Great link,  Thanks Joe

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 01:04:19 AM »
Hi All,

Welcome IrishAyes - Good link!

As Irish stated, you do not have to submit a log. However, the form spans a long period of time. It requires you to insert the number of days in each month of each year for each vessel.

Without some sort of log, you are guessing at your Sea Service. That can't be good!

The Sea Service form is at:

http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/downloads.htm

Then click "Small Vessel Sea Service Form (Form CG-719S)" toward the bottom of the "Downloads" section (middle of the page).

Then click "Small Vessel Sea Service Form (Form CG-719S)" again toward the bottom of the pasge on the secure server and then "View Document".

(Thanks Paul!!!)

I have attached the file below (the name of the file is 1625-0040-719S.pdf) for convenience ... If you are applying for a license, please download the file as it may change after this post.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 09:47:22 AM by Capt. Ed »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-