Author Topic: fishing equip.  (Read 1900 times)

Offline PHIL

fishing equip.
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:45:18 PM »
Hey guys, I went shopping for a rod and reel.I told the gentleman at the store that i wanted something for maybe thresher sharks or something that size upto 20 miles offshore. something on my boat that i could set up just in case I want to go for something bigger. He told me a shimano trevalla 5'8 xxheavy 50-200lb. gimble and a shimano torium 30 60-80lb. braid. Is this good and can I use this at the mudhole or is a little over kill. And if you would change anything (reel, rod, or line) what would it be. thank you.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
Re: fishing equip.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »
Not bad setup. Gonna cost you big $$ tho.

Do you plan on fishing on your boat? To go shark fishing on your own boat, you will need more then 1 rod and reel, so if that is what you are looking for, better find a way to plunk down some loot for 3-4 setups.

I would be looking for something else based on your experience. I would be shooting for 3 shimano TLD25's or 30's on ebay. Then check ebay for any 5'5"-6' 30-50(80)lb class standup rods. Should be able to get them relatively cheap (50ish shipped). Reels in the 125-150 each range.

I do not think you have the experience to be fishing with braid for medium to big game, so you should be using mono for that.

Even if you only intend to have 1 outfit to keep along in case you see something bigger (as I said, you will be wasting your time targeting sharks with 1 fishing rod in the water), you are better off with a used, less expensive outfit. The chances of using the "what if" setup won't warrant the expensive of the Shimano setup the sales guy is plugging you to get (Easily $500+) and won't hold enough mono for you.

My "what if" setup is a 5'6" 30-80lb standup rod w/ a Penn formula 15ld reel. The only reason I even have it is because m,y pops gave me the rod free and only charged me 50 for the reel (mint spooled with 65lb braid). Basically, one of his handmedowns.
I know if I wanted to specifically target sharks one day, I have 4-5 more, higher end outfits I could borrow from him (he would wind up coming with me anyway).

Do not waste your time spending $1k on gas and bait to go 20 miles offshore to fish with 1 fishing rod.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 03:29:11 PM »
There were plenty of #50-150 thresher sharks caught from just beyong the surfline to 2 miles offshore last summer. Just find the bunker pods and they'll be sharks nearby.

Plenty were caught on regular fluke and bluefish tackle.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 03:42:59 PM »
Even more lost on light tackle.

That is why I plan on bringing my standup outfit with me, rigged and ready to go in case I see one when I turn the hook this year.

Phil seemed like he wanted to fish 20 miles out for shark which would entail more then 1 setup.

Even if he does only need 1 setup, the Torium 30 w/ mono may not be big enough to handle a 200lb Thresher. Braid yes, but he should not be fishing braid on fish that size. Need some experience to do that.

Also need A LOT of experience to land a 100+ lb thresher on fluke tackle (or even striper tackle for that matter).  VERY small % of those 100+lb threshers are landed on that light gear.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-