Author Topic: New Jigging Technique  (Read 8858 times)

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
New Jigging Technique
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:52:41 AM »

I watched George Poveromos show Sunday morning and he was catching Striper's and blues off Long Island jigging with a Spro Sushi Spoon and a Gamakatsu 6/0 circle hook. This looks nice because the fish do not get gut hooked. You can see the whole article on ESPN'S websight. chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Re: New Jigging Technique
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 11:16:11 AM »
I've never really had a problem gut hook bass/blues when dropping a jig. Most hook ups seem to be in the roof of the mouth or lip.

But I'm going to check out the link just the same.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 12:18:59 PM »
You know what, while surf fishing at the Hook, I saw a guy casting out the same spoon that I used to vertical jig for smallmouth and thought that he was nuts.  Then he caught a Striper with it!  Thanks for the post, I gotta give it a try this year.
PS - That's what that part of the alphabet would look like if there where no Q or R.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 03:18:34 PM »
I changed over all my crippled minnows to the circle hook as well.  I am a believer in them especially not loosing as many hookups as with J hooks.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 03:19:50 PM »
We posted about this a couple of times. He had brought it up at the seminar few months back. I converted all of my trble hooked jigs over (about 10 I believe). Will see how they work.

He has been pimping this for a few months now. All reports indicate it works very well.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 03:29:56 PM »
Seems un-necessary to me. I've never heard of a fish being gut hooked with a jig. 5hrug

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »
Got to try new stuff.  I am always experimenting.  I can't leave well enough alone.

I am always painting some plugs different color combos especially if one pattern is working in the beginning os the season and suddenly stops.  I chang the color from white to yellow or blue and for the most part it works.  5hrug

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 04:11:17 PM »
I think the reason they are pushing the circle hooks is so we do not damage the shorts and the throw back fish like Bluefish. George Poveromo is a conservationist. If you read the article on the ESPN websight they said they get more hookups than non-circle hook jigs.
 I think removing the hook from the fish may be easier for the angler too. ;)
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 05:12:03 PM »
I have replaced all my treble hooks with j hooks years ago.  Haven't used circle hooks on jigs because, as someone has pointed out already, hard to gut hook a fish when using jigs.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 07:21:09 AM »
I replace all the hooks on my jigs with Gamakatsu open-eye Swiash hooks. Razor sharp and they give a nice hook set.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 10:43:07 AM »
Its funny you mention that,  I am looking at a package of them on my desk and figuring out if I want to put bucktails on a few or not.

Gamakatsu 6/0 Siwash (open eye) #10016.

Nice hook, and easy to replace as well.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Flukedood

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 12:04:13 PM »
I started using a butterfly jig last year in the fall for stripers (very similar to the jig shown above)..I am hooked ( pun intended)

I will definatly be doing it agian this fall. I still have alot to learn about it though..

The Shimano Butterfly jigs are expensive and by the time youre done buying the rings and assist hooks you can be spending 20 bucks or more on a jig..

A buddy of mine Mike introduced me to a cheaper knock off version of the Shimano jigs, from Off Shore Angler. You can get them at Bass Pro.. They work just as good as the Shimanos and a less than half the price..

Im not sure if this infor was put out there yet but I figured I would give you guys a heads up.. Buy 1 or 2 and give them a shot in the fall..
I spend 90% of my time fishing, The rest I just waste..

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 05:19:52 PM »
I started using a butterfly jig last year in the fall for stripers (very similar to the jig shown above)..I am hooked ( pun intended)

I will definatly be doing it agian this fall. I still have alot to learn about it though..

The Shimano Butterfly jigs are expensive and by the time youre done buying the rings and assist hooks you can be spending 20 bucks or more on a jig..

A buddy of mine Mike introduced me to a cheaper knock off version of the Shimano jigs, from Off Shore Angler. You can get them at Bass Pro.. They work just as good as the Shimanos and a less than half the price..

Im not sure if this infor was put out there yet but I figured I would give you guys a heads up.. Buy 1 or 2 and give them a shot in the fall..
Thanks for the info! chrz chrz
Its always nice to save a few bucks. I would rather lose an $8 jig than $20 jig.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 06:20:21 PM by Hunter 2 »
Eddie "Hunter 2"

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »
A buddy of mine Mike introduced me to a cheaper knock off version of the Shimano jigs, from Off Shore Angler. You can get them at Bass Pro.

t^

I bought a pair of the Bass Pro Shop butterfly jigs and was pleasantly surprised to see that they both came with a pair of assists hooks and a split ring.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 06:25:05 PM »
A buddy of mine Mike introduced me to a cheaper knock off version of the Shimano jigs, from Off Shore Angler. You can get them at Bass Pro.

t^

I bought a pair of the Bass Pro Shop butterfly jigs and was pleasantly surprised to see that they both came with a pair of assists hooks and a split ring.

Have you used the offshore angler jigs yet?
I would like to try some  out myself. ;)
Eddie "Hunter 2"

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 07:53:03 PM »
Haven't used them yet as I get them between X-mas & New Years.

But I did very well in the fall using ProFish butterfly jigs in 3.5 and 5 ounces. I don't see why the Offshore/Bass Pro Shop butterfly jigs wont do just as well.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-