Author Topic: Boat Insurance | United Marine  (Read 26247 times)

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Boat Insurance | United Marine
« on: April 08, 2008, 08:54:54 AM »
  Anyone deal with them for boat insurance?
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 02:57:59 PM by Hotrod »

Offline brickken

Re: United Marine
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 02:03:50 PM »
Thanks
Frank:

They are a solid company; also try Global Marine Insurance. https://www.quotemyboat.com/quote/
This is where I get my insurance from. They represent a number of quality insurance companies such as:
ACE Recreational Marine Insurance
"A" rated by A.M. Best Comany
American Modern Insurance Group
"A+" rated by A.M. Best Comany
Markel American Insurance
"A-" rated by A.M. Best Company
Progressive Insurance
"A+" rated by A.M. Best Company
Zurich North America
"A" rated by A.M. Best Company

as well as a few others...

The most important thing you need to know are the exclusions on a policy. Many are common but others aren't. For example if you fish the canyons (as I do) you wouldn't want a policy with a 25 mile limitation from the coast. This is the very first thing I'll ask when reviewing a policy.

Some companies will allow you to schedule your fishing equipment which to me is equally important. Your typical homeowners policy won't cover it while on the boat and many boat insurance policies won't either. As we all know; this stuff takes years and lots of money (no matter what we tell the wives  ;D )to build an arsenal of equipment.

Some policies will have specific named storm coverage (allow you up to $X to pull your boat and lay up and relaunch); some have named storms exclusions. The other thing you want to get where possible is an insure for and valued at; this way if you put a 20K limit on the hull and engines- you get 20K and not 14 after depreciation.

Some policies offer a Zebra Mussel endorsement that states they will cover engine damage due to overheating when caused by internal blockage of water passage by Zebra mussels.

Some will include tools and marine electronics in the hull value and some won't. Same with furniture, galley equipment and permanently installed entertainment electronics.

Some of these things probably aren't important to you, though some are. These are just a few things to consider when looking for coverage. Always start with the exclusions as they can be revealing..  t^
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 02:13:47 PM »
Ken, what do you think/know about Inamar?

That is who I have now, their exclusion list is minimal, have equipment coverage, stated value-no depreciateion, etc.

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 02:40:10 PM »
Thanks
Frank:

They are a solid company; also try Global Marine Insurance. https://www.quotemyboat.com/quote/
This is where I get my insurance from. They represent a number of quality insurance companies such as:
ACE Recreational Marine Insurance
"A" rated by A.M. Best Comany
American Modern Insurance Group
"A+" rated by A.M. Best Comany
Markel American Insurance
"A-" rated by A.M. Best Company
Progressive Insurance
"A+" rated by A.M. Best Company
Zurich North America
"A" rated by A.M. Best Company

as well as a few others...

The most important thing you need to know are the exclusions on a policy. Many are common but others aren't. For example if you fish the canyons (as I do) you wouldn't want a policy with a 25 mile limitation from the coast. This is the very first thing I'll ask when reviewing a policy.

Some companies will allow you to schedule your fishing equipment which to me is equally important. Your typical homeowners policy won't cover it while on the boat and many boat insurance policies won't either. As we all know; this stuff takes years and lots of money (no matter what we tell the wives  ;D )to build an arsenal of equipment.

Some policies will have specific named storm coverage (allow you up to $X to pull your boat and lay up and relaunch); some have named storms exclusions. The other thing you want to get where possible is an insure for and valued at; this way if you put a 20K limit on the hull and engines- you get 20K and not 14 after depreciation.

Some policies offer a Zebra Mussel endorsement that states they will cover engine damage due to overheating when caused by internal blockage of water passage by Zebra mussels.

Some will include tools and marine electronics in the hull value and some won't. Same with furniture, galley equipment and permanently installed entertainment electronics.

Some of these things probably aren't important to you, though some are. These are just a few things to consider when looking for coverage. Always start with the exclusions as they can be revealing..  t^

Thanks for the info!!  chrz

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Boat Insurance | United Marine
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 02:58:11 PM »
Great Info t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 03:09:59 PM »
 whs
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline brickken

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 03:18:26 PM »
Ken, what do you think/know about Inamar?

That is who I have now, their exclusion list is minimal, have equipment coverage, stated value-no depreciateion, etc.
INAMAR Marine is now ACE Marine Insurance...very good company. They have about 6 different forms which provides different levels of coverage. Take five minutes and look at their endorsements, that's typically where you'll find coverage grants (good thing) and exclusions -(some not so good).
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 03:19:23 PM »
Cool, thanks Ken.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 04:30:45 PM »
Excellent info. Thanks.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline captmoose

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »
It's nice to see some decent things about Ace Recreational insurance.  I work for Ace in the commercial marine loss control dept.  Can't offer any inside tips though, I'm a captain and only do loss control, nothing with underwriting.

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 03:30:43 PM »
good info...looking for boat insurance...but not for 12 months. who can i go to?

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 07:06:35 PM »
Try Boat US
Not bad prices.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 07:12:35 PM »
I have boatus  50k Coverage and 10 K On Equipment this includes theft. cost me 700 a Year.

I took the no depreciating. meaning if I hit something and blow up my motor. I get a new one. other plans depreciate it 10% a year I think..

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 07:18:29 PM »
Price of the insurance depends on the boat and if you keep it on a trailer or in the water.
My 2007 boat is less then my older boat just because I keep it on a trailer. The other thing I like about Boat US is that it covers towing for the boat if it breaks down while I am on it. Just like AAA.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 07:26:36 PM »
Rick, not sure if you are aware of it but, the towing plan with the insurance is for only about $50 worth of towing. If you need a typical tow it will cost probably $200 minimum. You need to get the unlimited towing for $140 per year to make it worth having.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »
Yea.  the towing for me is another 119  or so..

Offline BeN F

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 07:37:01 PM »
i have allstate i think i need to call them and get into detail after this thread

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 07:38:17 PM »
 t^ Thanks Joe I have the unlimited. I only have to pay that once even though I use two boats.

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 07:42:05 PM »
Rick, there are a lot of people who don't know that about the towing on their insurance policy. They think it will cover the whole bill.

When I got towed in because of an electrical problem last year I think the statement I got was somewhere near $600. Just show the card and your good to go.  TT^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 07:42:54 PM »
Price of the insurance depends on the boat and if you keep it on a trailer or in the water.
My 2007 boat is less then my older boat just because I keep it on a trailer.

I had that option also Rick,  But I didn't want to go with what the boat was worth as I was told they hit you with 10% a year in depreciation. I went with the no depreciation and what I thought it would cost me to by the same boat again. Of course this cost me more.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-