Author Topic: Overheating  (Read 3678 times)

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Overheating
« on: April 10, 2008, 04:59:09 AM »
 Evinrude 1992 100 HP. Started it up a few days ago darn thing overheated. Replaced Tstats. Water pump 2 years old with very few hours. Maybe 20 at the most. Flow is pretty strong. Put new Tstats in with new poppits. Overheated again. Right bank I can tell by touch. If I let it cool down and run it again its ok. My though on this is that there is air being trapped around the tstats. Dropped tstats in hot water and both seem to open at the same time. I have read somewhere that drilling a small hole (.060 ) in the poppits helps  Any in thoughts on this problem.

Thanks
Frank

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Overheating
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:36:05 AM »
make sure your intake isn't clogged, she needs to spit water.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 08:37:47 AM »
Evinrude 1992 100 HP. Started it up a few days ago darn thing overheated. Replaced Tstats. Water pump 2 years old with very few hours. Maybe 20 at the most. Flow is pretty strong. Put new Tstats in with new poppits. Overheated again. Right bank I can tell by touch. If I let it cool down and run it again its ok. My though on this is that there is air being trapped around the tstats. Dropped tstats in hot water and both seem to open at the same time. I have read somewhere that drilling a small hole (.060 ) in the poppits helps  Any in thoughts on this problem.

Thanks
Frank

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:39:38 AM »
How did the salt encrustation look inside he water jackets when you changed the tstats?

Is there a garden hose flush fitting or can you add one to (back) flush it?

Don't know about drilling poppets, therefore I wouldn't.

If you have good flow it is likely a clogged passage usually a small one from sediment or salt.

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »
  I am able to back flush which I did. Flow seems to be the same on both banks. Some other forum mentioned about V cut in top of Tstats. Some of the replacements do not come with it. It is to bleed air out. So water can get to tstat. Will pull apart and check.

Thanks
Frank

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 05:04:46 PM »
Update:
            Removed tstats. There is a notch but very small. A grain of sand would have plugged it up! I made the notch alittle larger. Put it back together. No more overheat. If I lay my finger on the block I can feel the temp change. Not drastic but you can tell  tstats are working.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 05:42:07 PM »
Wow nice fix (hopefully.)  t^

I had Tstats and w/p done over winter hopefully no probs with the work. Never had any before but I was on borrowed time.

Offline Capt. Joe G

• Sponsor
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 06:04:43 PM »
Nice catch on the grain of sand.. I had a similiar problem with a piece of sea grass clogging my discharge line!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-