Author Topic: MMSI# - what if multiple radios  (Read 1747 times)

Offline brickken

MMSI# - what if multiple radios
« on: April 16, 2008, 10:15:42 AM »
Here is a question that I've been wondering about... I now have 3 VHF radios for my vessel, two are hardwired for redundancy and safety on the boat. The third is for a handheld that comes with me in the event of ...well you know....trouble. (call me superstitious).

All three are differant makes and models. Do I need to register all 3 and get separate numbers? Or do I use the same number I already have for all 3 units?  5hrug

Last but not least when I sold my old boat over a year ago, I never thought to "deactivate" the number in the radio. That boat went overseas from what my dealer told me. I assume this wouldn't be an issue  5hrug

Thanks for any feedback.
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
Re: MMSI# - what if multiple radios
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 10:22:50 AM »
If all 3 radios are on the same vessel (and the handheld will primarily be used from the same vessel), then they should all have the same MMSI #.

Do radios in the new boat have the same MMSI # as the vessel you sold?

If so, you need to cancel that (which you should do in any event) on the boat US website and get a new # for your new Vessel (to put in all 3 radios).

I replaced my radio this year (instaling this week) with one that does Polling as well as transmit DSC and could not remove the DSC from the old radio. I was told to cancel my old MMSI account # and create a new one for the new radio.

Whoever gets my old radio will have to put in their own MMSI# as their is no way to remove them.

Also, most radios let you change the MMSI once or twice (but not delete, only change to different #), then you have to send it back to factory to have them wipe out the old #'s.

Bottom line is if you sell a vessel or old radio with DSC programmed, you need to cancel your account and get a new MMSI for your new radio and/or vessel :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:24:37 AM by mboy »

Offline brickken

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:47:53 AM »
Mike:

I was afraid of that. The 3 radios are for the Taylor Vee; the MMSI number was in the old Hydrasports as well. Can't believe they make you cancel your account; then come up with a new username password and reinput all of that information. I'll have to print my old info out before I cancel the account. I also have on the newest radio have the polling; Position Request and Position Report etc.

Thanks for the input
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:56:21 AM »
Yep, no way to just change the #.

Pain in the ass to recreate an account with the EXACT same info as the old account, but it is free so guess they have to cut corners somewhere :)

I am looking forward to using polling this year.

Pretty cool someone can send you there position and have it pop up on your GPS and then navigate right over to it.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-