Author Topic: To use lights or not to use lights???  (Read 5604 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
To use lights or not to use lights???
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »
OK, I have been trying to get a handle on this as I will be doing a lot of fishing at night this year.

A few people I have talked to say not to use lights on the beach as it will detract fish from getting on the bite.  Others say just the opposite that the lights attract the fish.

Do the lights in fact attract the bait fish which will attract the larger fish, or do they spook the larger fish away?

I know one person that gets very adamant if you drive close to him on the beach with your lights blaring. 

I have just the factory installed headlights and I usually park facing the beach so I do use my lights sometimes to illuminate my catch.  Plus does this go as far as not using the small battery operated LED head lights with the red for night vision?

I personally  have not seen much of a difference to not use them as it is safer to illuminate the area so no accidents will occur.

Any thoughts?

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: To use lights or not to use lights???
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:35:42 AM »
lights attract bait fish, crabs, shrimp, etc...  other fish follow the bait fish
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:40:13 AM »
This is true but when fishing a stretch of beach without any form of lights to speak of when a beam of light flashes out over the water could that spook the fish?  The lights are not on for long, so attracting the bait might not come into play.  5hrug 
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline adesai73

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:50:28 AM »
admittedly, i'm not very experienced in this, but from all the books i've read, this is a big no-no.

anecdotal experiences from other boards confirm this.  again, this is either all from books or heresay.

now, having said that, if i found it worked for me, i'd do it in a heartbeat as long as others around me weren't getting worked up about it.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:59:37 AM »
Good point Ash.  I can see why a lot of people would have no qualms about using lights especially if they are use to fishing off boats and have their spreader lights on.  It is for safety plus it is a known fact that it does attract bait fish.  But this is a dark beach and anything out of the ordinary I would thing would spook anything and everything working in close especially right in the suds.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline gagedylan

• http://www.myspace.com/husbandshatemeclub
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 04:52:03 PM »
when i go to one of my favorite spots in forked river for night fishing, it's under a bridge, and  always at night. i have a submersible lantern that i drop in the shallow water nearby, and you should see the swarms of baitfish that are drawn to it. makes me wish i could figure out how to throw a cast net
25' Chris Craft Sea Hawk W/A with twin Suzuki 140 OB

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 05:53:56 PM »
if your using a spot light off the beach, since your aiming it out away from you into the water, and not directly into the water straight down, how much light do you think is actually being produced under the surface from that distance.  I would think not enough to make a difference.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 05:55:01 PM »
Gage, may be a good time to use an umbrella net.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 05:58:11 PM »
 whs  throw the umbrella net down at the bottom, then put your underwater lantern on top of the net until the bait congregates, then just lift the net, and there ya go.  chrz

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 06:29:23 PM »
I have read and heard many surf guys say this is a big no,no. If you use a light on the beach and there are some old salts around you might not make too many friends. However the use of a red light seems to be an acceptable practice. I would image that a regular light would be very productive for blue fish. I do believe stipersurf.com has touched on this area with several article. Good luck!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 10:19:28 PM »
Well stripersurf is one site I will not go back to, lets say their arrogance outways their usefulness.

I just thought that this would be a good idea for some exchanges in opinions.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline gagedylan

• http://www.myspace.com/husbandshatemeclub
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 10:36:30 PM »
i used to have good luck with the umbrella net....then later, as my son got older, he and i have fun with the seine net
25' Chris Craft Sea Hawk W/A with twin Suzuki 140 OB

Offline wingshooter

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 10:53:43 PM »
light at night is good if youre going for blues,,,, stripers will stay away from it,,, it is a big no-no for night surf fishing,, same goes for big fires on the beach at IBSP

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 11:38:16 PM »
I have to agree about the lights on the beach as a no no.  The reason I ask is that although not fanatical about it I do not like to use lights as much as possible.

With the summer season kicking off this weekend and knowing how much this board is read I thought it a good idea to post this question to make fishermen aware that it is a sticky issue with seasoned surf fisherman. 

As far as fires on the beach tis the season for them.  There will be many at IBSP as families make it a tradition to have a roaring fire going on the beach to gather around and while away the hours relaxing and roasting marshmallows.  If you want to get totally away from them you will have to go south close to the inlet where there are no fires allowed down there just look for the sigh posted near the dune line.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline EdL

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 11:55:31 AM »
I don't think the light from fires make any difference, but I have had decent bites catching bass on plugs shut down from headlights on the water.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 12:24:32 PM »
Thanks EdL,

Yea I have had that happen as well.  The problem that have is when someone you know sees your buggie in the beach and you are without lights they pull up and flash their high beams to get your attention.  :-X
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 12:24:56 PM »
A steady light from any source will not spook fish.  And as others have already said, lights attract baitfish, shrimp, etc., which in turn attracts you know what. ;D

If you flash a light on the water, especially where there are baitfish, you usually will see the fish react at first.  But then they just go about their business.

So IMHO, unless you are constantly flashing your lights on and off, the light will not be  a deterrent to catching fish.

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 02:15:22 PM »
 i dont know how much light affects what, but i always went with the red led headlight. it will last a few nights on 1 set of battery's, with just turning it on when needed, and it is pretty bright.

what i would also do is set up a chemlight at my baiting station which was always more than plenty of light to shuck a clammy and hook it up. plus, it makes you a wee bit more visiable from a distance.

All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 06:37:59 PM »
I like the idea of the light sticks.  I am trying to come up with a light that can be run off the car battery that will give out just enough light as the light stick but not cost a fortune and allow for longtime use. 

Maybe I will just go with the light stick for now.

Anyone going out tonight off the surf?  I am going to try over at Ortley Beach for a while if I don't get blown in the water we have had gusts at almost 30 mph.

Happy catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 07:08:37 PM »
 another idea i have had paul, i sto use one of those little led lights that you plug into your cigarette lighter with a flexable neck on it.

on my blazer i put a weather tight 12v cig plug into the grill and wired it up to the battery with a inline fuse. never used it though, so cant say how well it went. but if the headlights run for a few nights,, this sucker oughta run for a year off a truck battery.

really dont even have to hook it up in the grill, can do somethign as simple as zip tie the thing onto one of your rod holders.

just an idea,,,,,,,,,,,,,
All your tuna's are belong to me

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-