Author Topic: Bucktails  (Read 5607 times)

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
Bucktails
« on: June 05, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »
What is your favorite type of Bucktail?(taperhead, ball, spro, open mouth, bullet, ect...)And what is your favorite bait to add to the bucktail?

NJDEVIL  >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 03:33:17 PM »
I am in the middle of tying some right now ,I use spro knock offs we make IN the back yard.I got a couple guys down the edison ramp that I promised some to so I am filling my orders.

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 03:43:37 PM »
Catfish hunter,

I saw pictures you posted of the spro knock offs, they looked great. Do you use the Edison ramp often? I live about 2 miles from it.

NJDEVIL >:D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 03:54:29 PM by njdevil »
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »
I used to use it now I am out of keyport ,I am less that a half mile from edison ramp off 514 ,I hang there a couple nights a week

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 04:01:31 PM »
Any striped bass being caught at the Edison ramp?

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 04:03:08 PM »
not much to speak of

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 04:04:30 PM »
Are they using metal or bait?

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 04:20:54 PM »
green spro with a piece of cut squid  TT^
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Sam3

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 04:29:17 PM »
What is your favorite type of Bucktail?(taperhead, ball, spro, open mouth, bullet, ect...)And what is your favorite bait to add to the bucktail?

What ever scrubby gives me.

;D

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 05:16:55 PM »
Spro tipped with Gulp swim mullet or sandeel.
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 06:31:30 PM »
My #1 choice is a Spro (or Spro style).

#2 Is a banana head style bucktail but hard to find in weights over 2 ounces.

#3 Is a Andros/round head style bucktail.

All the above are tipped either a GULP, bait strip, spearing, sand eel or a combination of.

Did buy a bunch of ProFish bucktails several years ago but to date haven't gotten any of them wet yet  5hrug. How about you GT  grtn ?

Over the winter I modified most of my bucktails by adding a stinger hook. I used two different methods to do so; #1-I used a small spro swivel that I finessed over the barb of bucktail hook then crimped that eye of the swivel shut some with using needle nose pliers & to the opposite eye of the swivel I used an open eye Gamakatsu hook and crimped that down. #2-I used those assist hooks that are usually used on butterfly jigs & looped the teather over the bucktail hook. I'm hoping the use of the stinger will provide a better hook up ratio (especially on short striking fluke). It should also allow me to use long bait strips without worrying about the strip flipping over itself. I've also experimented with placing a small bait strip and spearing on each hook to give the illusion of a large bait. This has produced as well.

FYI, the 2 keeper fluke that my son & I bucked up last Sunday came on a 2 ounce white Spro that was modified with a stinger hook. t^

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 08:41:10 PM »

;D
just not right ,I was down my ramp and the guys were talking about bucktails and one guy said something about the ones he saw online ,well it was mine and scrubbys ,he said mine sucked and scrubbys looked great ,he didnt know they were mine until I said something

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 08:42:56 PM »
spro tipped with a large smelt.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 11:04:26 AM »
Did buy a bunch of ProFish bucktails several years ago but to date haven't gotten any of them wet yet  5hrug. How about you GT  grtn ?

I swam a couple of them especially over snaggy areas that were swallowing my Spros ;)

They caught fish, but not as good as the Spros.  Think their action is a little bit off.

I gave up on teasers and stinger hooks.  Maybe deeper water with long strips I'll go back to a stinger. 5hrug
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 11:08:17 AM »

;D
just not right ,I was down my ramp and the guys were talking about bucktails and one guy said something about the ones he saw online ,well it was mine and scrubbys ,he said mine sucked and scrubbys looked great ,he didnt know they were mine until I said something

I imagine he was not one of the lucky recipients to receive yours when you were giving them out then  5hrug

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 11:21:20 AM »

I swam a couple of them especially over snaggy areas that were swallowing my Spros ;)

They caught fish, but not as good as the Spros.  Think their action is a little bit off.

I gave up on teasers and stinger hooks.  Maybe deeper water with long strips I'll go back to a stinger. 5hrug

Great idea to use those ProFish bucktails around those pieces that gobble up rigs.  TT^

I only added stinger hooks to all my bucktails 4 ounces or heavier & just a few of them under 4 ounces. Just so happenned that the first bucktail I tied on last Sunday had a stinger & I didn't feel like re-tying.

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 11:36:43 AM »
Did try the Gulp 6" grub on a 2oz Spro...nice, but a bit much.  Would go great with a 4oz one though TT^
Only 4 baits in a bag and one bluefish bite took the entire tail off rgmn

Funny as I boated 5 others to about 6lbs on the same 1oz Spro and 4" swim mullet and was still going strong 5hrug

Been just fishing a straight bucktail, no teaser.  Maybe give them a go this weekend.

Did find some bananna heads in 1oz that Billy tied up for me.  Gonna use them too as they have good action.  Love em in smaller sizes from shore but never really used them much from the boat, we'll see what they can do soon. t^
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 12:05:20 PM »
Yea, those 6" GULPs look like a mouth full.

Might buy a pack when fishing the deep snags out front.

The 4" version are perfect (IMHO) for the bays & rivers.

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 12:49:43 PM »
I did get one keeper fluke on it and a sea robin that was about the same length as the total bait/jig ???

Tail has a lot of action. TT^
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 08:15:11 AM »
Hearing very favorable reports from captains & fares who are fishing on party boats out of Belmar & Pt. Pleasant that guys bouncing Spros are cleaning up with many fluke in the #6-8 class while those dragging bait are struggling.

Bounce, bounce, bounce....SLAM...Fish On !!  ;D

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-