Author Topic: Point Pleasant Canal 6/12  (Read 7488 times)

Offline wink_man

Point Pleasant Canal 6/12
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:04:30 AM »
Fished the canal this morning, and finally broke my jinx, I haven't caught a striper since the 5th of June and was starting to think the new outfit I was experimenting with was jinxed for stripers.

Got up a little late, was fishing by 5:45 and got a 22 inch striper on my 3rd cast. He was flopping when I took the pic, but it looks pretty neat.

Bluefish then took over when the tide switched, just enough to be annoying, caught about half a dozen, had them destroy a bunch of Fin-S fish, and called it a morning at 8AM. Water was crystal clear, boat traffic minimal, and weed and cabbage were minimal.

I was fishing the south end this morning, I have been fishing the north end, and while I know stripers are there, they seem to have lockjaw unless you're livelineing herring. I had a reliable report of stripers feeding at the south end on sandworms, so I gave that a shot.

I was fishing an area today with no bulkhead, just a rock wall with shallow water at the base, and more important than breaking my jinx, I saw a few of natures very special treats today.

Right at my feet, in less than 2 feet of water, I watched dozens of baby flounder swimming and trying to hide in the weed cover, so anyone who thinks the spring flounder fishery was dismal, I'd say they are wrong, they appeared to have spawned quite successfully.

And a first for me, as I was getting ready to cast, out of the corner of my eye, I spot movement on the water, close to shore. I look and see what appears to be a brown tail go under, about 50 feet away. Suddenly, 25 feet in front of me, out pop 3 river otters, heads up and staring at me. I reached for the camera but they went down, and couldn't get a pic. I watched them swim across the canal and up towards the bay, was a sight to behold, While I've seen otters in the wild, never at the shore before.

On another note for the surf fisherman, I stopped at Pells on the way home and Jim told me of a beach fisherman at Normandy Beach this morning(early), fishing in a kayak. He snagged bunker and dropped them back down, and had just brought 2 fish into Pells to be weighed, 36 and 41 pounds.

Garry

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 08:39:43 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
Re: Point Pleasant Canal 6/12
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:08:56 AM »
Great Report Garry, congrats on breaking the JINX  TT^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline brickken

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:41:33 AM »
Nice job as always Garry... can't see the picture?? 5hrug
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 09:55:05 AM »
I know that rocky area, that must be a cool sight.  I'll try sirf fishing from squan 2moro, let u know how i do.  Sound like it's been CRAZY out front.  Beautiful bass.
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline mgm

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:57:43 AM »
Thanks for the great report Garry.......as usual t^
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:01:27 AM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 10:08:26 AM »
Good job.
Keith
Franklin, N.J.
Proud member of the I.B.E.W. local 827

MAKO 250wa twin 150 E-tecs
  Happily fishing out of Atlantic Highlands Municiple Marina.

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 10:20:17 AM »
What a great morning you had, not just the fishing but everything you saw. Another great report.

NJDEVIL  >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline FINITALIA2

• 43.8lbs. 49in.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:36:09 AM »
nice report

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 01:56:23 PM »
Thanks for the report Garry... slt
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 02:24:50 PM »
You da man as always Wink!

Offline dapbmw

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 04:08:07 PM »
hey garry,

can i go fishing with you one of these days?

cheers,
dave

Offline dapbmw

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 04:19:53 PM »
which part of the canal where you fishing from? street? marina?

Offline wink_man

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 04:30:39 PM »
hey garry,

can i go fishing with you one of these days?

cheers,
dave

Sure, why not, I'm leaving in about an hour, and will prolly fish till 10-11 tonight.
I'm fishing the south end of the canal, by the condos on Bay Ave, close to the marina on the rock wall. You'll see me there, slim guy with a silver goatee(usually in dire need of a haircut), but not this time, LMAO. Look for me if you decide to come down.

Garry
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:48:04 PM by wink_man »

Offline hm5419

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 05:01:28 PM »
hey garry one quick question, i thought that at the condo end of the canal it was all private parking, is that true ? thanks  larry

Offline lost9340

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 06:56:04 PM »
my father is back out fishing so he will make a report i guess when he gets back.

hey Garry one quick question, i thought that at the condo end of the canal it was all private parking, is that true ? thanks larry

nope there is alot of public parking all over and there is a public ramp for putting in your boat. all around the condos is public property so you can fish pretty much where ever you want, but there are a few pain in the (mind my words) that live there that have nothing better to do than to try and cause trouble.

I know that rocky area, that must be a cool sight.  I'll try sirf fishing from squan 2moro, let u know how i do.  Sound like it's been CRAZY out front.  Beautiful bass.

while my father has been hitting the canal nonstop i have been concentrating more on the surf since the boat traffic has picked up. Ive been following the bunker school threw my contacts and they seem to keep moving south. i have been fishing off of lyman rd. which is off of rt 35. now the bunker schools have been holding firm in both up by Neptune and down by seaside. smaller broken up schools have been in between. boats at the larger schools keep forcing the fish down as the ones in the middle are undisturbed. Ive been snagging bunker off the surf and have hooked into fish, but have not been fortunate enough to get one in. friend a couple days ago caught a 50+ striper right off lavalette in his kayak.

i hooked into a really large fish today off a bunker head that spooled me it never let off the dragg once. i also watched a guy land a 30/40 pound striper right next to me. i also got on the bunker schools later in the day. i chased after them down the beach for like 2 miles but just couldn't hook up.   good luck at manasquan beach.

Brian

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 08:18:39 PM »
awesome report garry.. they usually are... nice day to be out there....this may sound stupid.. but where exactly is the point pleasant canal, as of.... off of route 34 ?
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 09:24:49 PM »
Nice report as always Wink.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline wink_man

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 10:11:20 PM »
awesome report garry.. they usually are... nice day to be out there....this may sound stupid.. but where exactly is the point pleasant canal, as of.... off of route 34 ?

To much to type as there is a lot of access. Basically, to get there, 34 south to 35 south, to Bridge Ave to Bay Ave will get you there. If you want more details, PM me and I'll give you my phone number, can't type all that stuff in, will be here all night.

Garry

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 10:16:03 PM »
nice report Garry t^
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-