Author Topic: Winding River Park  (Read 7261 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Winding River Park
« on: August 17, 2008, 10:18:02 PM »
Well, I am no longer Skunkingruven...back to Pfishingruven FINALLY!! 

Fished the small couple acre lake/pond at the North End of Winding River Park.  Entrance is across from the Ice Skating Rink off of Whitesville Road which is off of Oakridge Parkway.  Follow the road all the way to the back by the 21 Plus Building and the Childrens Memorial Garden.  Lake is behind the garden and there are paths pretty much all the way around the lake/pond.  Lots of places to fish around the lake.  Water is usually very clear with a sandy/root bottom with lots of downed trees in the water for structure.  Not too much grass or weeds.  Areas are as deep as 15-18 feet or so and there is a smaller island in the middle of the lake.  Great place to take younger children.  Usually very quiet, not over fished, clean and there is plenty of parking and the parking lot is close to the water...just a short walk!  Lake is full of bass, sunnies and some pickerel.  I never knew it until a couple of days ago, while taking a walk.  I saw a handful or more of 4-5 lb largemouths feeding on the surface around 1900 hrs.  In the shallows I saw tiny bass and sunnies, also.  There is loads of baitfish, painted turtles and snapping turtles and some eels, believe it or not!  There is also a water snake(black and orange) that hangs out by the shoreline sleeping and looking for free killies...please don't harm it!!  The snake is not shy of people, but is not dangerous or poisonous either!

Fished from 1630 hrs or so until 2000 hrs with my wife and my youngest son!  Water was very muddy today due to the rain, which changed up the fishing a bit and made it a little harder to get bites.  I had two bass and my wife had one.  The first bass I caught was tiny...8 inches or so and the second was nice 15 inches or so and 2-3 lbs.  My wife also had a fish equal to the larger one I caught around the same size.  All were caught on killies.  2 on bobbers and 1 livelined out on the bottom.  Hits all came while retrieving the bait in.  Got a couple of hits on a watermelon seed worm, but no hook ups.  Nothing else worked...gave them all a try!  Couldn't get shiners today either...no one in TR had them!!

I also saw a huge eel caught by a younger boy.  The eel was 3 1/2 feet and 6 inches round...probably 8 lbs or so...one of the biggest eels I have ever seen caught!

No pictures either...I always have the camera in the car.  Pull up to the lake and unload.  I ask my wife if she saw the camera in the car...she says "ohhhhh yeah, your sister borrowed it last night and it is in the house!"   rgmn rgmn rgmn  Figures.  It was a great day fishing, very relaxing and it was nice to catch a couple of fish.  Real close to home for me also...which means more time for fishing and casting!!  If you want to fish at a convenient, smaller lake/pond with some fish in it, give it a try.  Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like.  I grew up playing in Winding River Park, however the lake was never as productive as it has been the last few years from what I have heard!!

TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Winding River Park
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 10:24:16 PM »
Nice report. Good description of the lake. Sounds like great access to it. t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 10:25:18 PM »
Great Report t^

Offline Greg7

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 01:59:47 AM »
sounds like a great time,  t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 08:57:12 AM »
I new that lake was pretty good as it is not heavily fished but I never tried it as I have hot been freshwater fishing in many years.  Thanks for the report... grtn

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-