Author Topic: new to fishing help  (Read 2734 times)

Offline maldonw

• Full Member of the Den
new to fishing help
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:13:09 AM »
hello all
im new to fishing and was looking for a good spot to start off in . im looking to stay on shore maybe off a pier or something like that since om taking and my 8 year old nephew. i have just some basic rods and stuff just to see if my nephew gets into it and if we do then i will get better stuff . i hear point pleasant isnt bad to check out . what do you think . thanks TT^

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
Re: new to fishing help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 11:18:34 AM »
Welcome aboard  grtn. Keep checking the site there are plenty of member's who fish from the shore here. They will help you out.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 01:43:25 PM by Uncle Luna »
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 12:48:03 PM »
Welcome to the site.  There's lots of knowledgeable folks here to help you out. 
Check out http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?board=58.0
for some details on local spots.  Some easy to access areas in the Pt. Pleasant area are the inlet, the canal, Mantaloking Bridge.
Good luck, be patient and enjoy.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 04:47:58 PM »
welcome.. Kiensburg Pier..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 05:01:05 PM »
Welcome aboard!!  Where are you from or where are you looking to fish??  Is your basic stuff more geared towards the Bay or the surf??  I am guessing, probably the Bay.

There are a lot of good places to fish from shore in the Barnegat Bay and surrounding rivers.

I really only know northern and central Ocean County area and a few places in southern Ocean County.  Mantoloking Bridge, Seaside Park Piers(Beach Badge required), Dock Outfitters in Seaside Heights, Seaside Heights Pier on 35S, Lavallette Pier, Bayside Park in Brick Beach, Public Dock in Beachwood, two public docks in Pine Beach, Mathis Plaza/Torpedo Park in South Toms River, Manasquan Inlet on either the Manasquan or the Pt Pleasant Beach side(more difficult to fish...lots of currents), Berkeley Island County Park in Bayville.  Those are the ones that come to mind.

Best bet is for snappers, kingfish, and croakers.  Weakfish and stripers are a possibility as well.  Bait on small hooks with bobbers or a hi lo rig are going to work the best.  Spearing, cut bunker, squid strips, bloodworms, sandworms, and clam pieces are going to be your best baits to use.  Fake baits/soft plastics will also work if you are familiar with them?  You can also use small lures for snappers such as kastmasters, hopkins, etc..., spinners, spearing rigs or even small top water poppers.

Good luck.  Feel free to ask any questions you need to.  Everyone is here to help!!

TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 06:04:17 PM »
Welcome aboard. As others have said, any questions you have, just ask.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 06:44:08 PM »
Welcome aboard  grtn. Keep checking the site there are plenty of member's who fish from the shore here. They will help you out.

whs
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 11:34:26 PM »
Welcome Aboard t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 11:50:39 PM »
Welcome Aboard maldonw,

Point Pleasant is a good place to start.  The inlet will give you a wide veriety of fishing as it is one of only 3 areas from central NJ that the fish that migrate have to pass through.

You have to keep at it and try to fish as much as possible in order to get the feel as to what is running and what kind of bait to use.

This is one of the most helpful boards for the beginner to latch onto.  We encourage questions as we have all been there and are willing to share our info.

Don't be afraid to go into any B&T and ask questions if you listen to them and buy their bait you will find that they will start to give you better info as time goes on.

Good luck and...

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 12:31:55 AM »
 grtn

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-