Author Topic: Mansquan River-Barnaget Bay & Ocean 08/27 Report  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Mansquan River-Barnaget Bay & Ocean 08/27 Report
« on: August 27, 2008, 06:39:42 PM »
Jason and I fished with 2 others aboard Capt. Allen's Reel Class today.

With our original plans to fish the rough stuff out front put on hold due to a stiff NE wind at 20-25 (this after the forecast called for not being higher than 10  ::)  ) and seas 4-6' we started off fishing just west of the Rt. 35 bridge in the Manasquan River. WEven though the tide just started to drop the NNE wind gave us a east to west drift. Didn't matter much as we had action within a few minutes. 3 of us were using 1 ounce Spros with a 4" chartreuse GULP swimming minnow and with the same GULP on a hook as a teaser (although I opted for a GULP 4" new penny shrimp. Jason fished a chartuse GULP with a killie. For the first 90 minutes we had very steady action. Most of the fluke were in the 7-16" range, a few just missing legal size however we were able to box 3 legal fluke to just over 19"s. In addition we caught a few very nice kingfish (very aggressive biters & hard fighters). We were the only one's fishing the river but as more & more boats turned around after seeing the ocean a sizeable fleet built up but by this time the bite tapered off to a slow pick.

With the ocean still rocking, we decided to head into upper Barnaget Bay to spot Capt. Allen fished yesterday that yielded fluke, weakfish, sea bass, kingfish and a jumbo porgy. Unfortunately today nothing was home except a micro fluke and some small sea robins.

By now were getting reports that the ocean was down to 2-4' and we headed outside. Made a left after clearing the inlet and fished about 1 mile off the beach off of Mantoloking and by the 'pipe'. We were able to add another keeper fluke (only fluke we caught in the ocean) and 2 bluefish in the 8-10 class. Did see a few huge schools of bunker (one passing right under the boat) high tailing it south.

Ended the day where we started catching more short fluke and a few more nice kingfish.

We each must have caught anywhere from 20-25 fluke and even though the vast majority were short, catching them on light spinning tackle made for allot of fun.

Only down note of the day was when we witness a major assh*le blow down the river channel (in the process missing us by @10'  >:() with his wake pushing another boat hard (I'm talking hard enough that it appeared that the fiberglass cracked) into a channel marker. Capt. Allen did get on the horn and notify both the State Police and Coast Guard....hope they caught the SOB
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:06:12 PM by Skolmann »

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
Re: Mansquan River-Barnaget Bay & Ocean 08/27 Report
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:57:09 PM »
 t^Excellent report.This 18" is rediculous.Can hardly wait to hear the BS they have to say about next years bag limit. slt

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 07:13:33 PM »
Nice report Skolmann! t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 07:48:30 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:12:38 PM »
Nice report. The clowns won't be off the water till after Labor Day.  :-\
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:41:09 PM »
Tuff conditions for fluking outside today...

weatherman blew this one.

cant believe the amount of idiots who actually ride boats.

Should just geta big idiot stamp on there license and just have to turn there boat in

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 12:13:34 AM »
 whs grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 01:05:33 AM »
Great report!!  Great day out on the water.

Those same a$$h*les must of got in there SUV and decided to do some surf fishing tonight in IBSP...because I got passed by one on the main roadway doing at least 70mph!!  I was already doing the speed limit of 45mph, they had to tailgate me so close I couldn't see their headlights and then back off, speed up and pass me...in a park!!  Unreal!!!!  Hopefully they are tourists and will leave for the year in a week or so??

TT^

Offline Reel Class

• Sponsor
    • Reel Class website
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 07:21:58 AM »
Doc, thanks for posting the report.  I called the state police to follow-up, and they are still "investigating" so the job on their part is still ongoing. 

Capt Allen
Reel Class Charters
Point Pleasant, NJ
www.reelclassfishing.com
(201)248-5281

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 08:34:38 AM »
Nice report Skolmann  TT^ Sounds like fun.. Never a shortage of mamalukes out there to defend against. Like Pfish says, these are the same scumbags that try to kill us on the road. Great jot calling it in Capt..  chrz

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 05:23:01 PM »
Doc, thanks for posting the report.

t^--No problem. As you know I could fish spend the entire day doing the light tackle river fishing.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-