Author Topic: Looking for new Surf rod  (Read 7365 times)

Offline Greg7

Looking for new Surf rod
« on: September 12, 2008, 01:43:28 AM »
Decided instead of replacing my 6'6" that just recently cracked I would by a better surf rod.  Im getting tired of not being able to cast rigs out further than 10 feet with my 7' surf pole.  >:( haha. Looking into a 9' Tica Surf. Medium heavy 30# line. Any other suggestions? 5hrug I want it mainly for throwing nice bunker heads and what not but still be able to use lures.   

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Looking for new Surf rod
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 02:16:22 AM »
I've been window shopping too!  My 17 year old Ugly Stik Surf Rod and Reel have had enough.  I like the Ticas and the Tsunami Airwaves for the price.  I have specifically been looking at a rod that will be multi purpose, but leaning more towards plugging and lures.

Have you considered any reels yet??  I am still trying to narrow it down.  Let me know if you come up with anything else.

Thanks

TT^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 05:52:20 AM »
just got one.. go to cabelas.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 09:42:46 AM »
It will be hard to find a rod that can throw bunker heads and plugs efficiently.  For a heavy bait rod you'll probably want one capable of throwing 5 to 8 oz.  For a plug rod, something rated from 1 to 3 oz. or 1 1/2 to 4 oz. would be a better choice. 

BTW, for a very nice rod at a great price, I'll second the Tsunami Airwave.  t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 12:53:36 PM »
It will be hard to find a rod that can throw bunker heads and plugs efficiently.  For a heavy bait rod you'll probably want one capable of throwing 5 to 8 oz.  For a plug rod, something rated from 1 to 3 oz. or 1 1/2 to 4 oz. would be a better choice. 

I definitely agree with that Bucktail!!  That is the problem I have with my rod right now.  It was bought for multipurpose...which means it doesn't do anything well!  It was given to me almost 20 years ago as a gift and it served it's purpose then and through all the years it has worked. 

However with all of the nice options out there at decent prices, I am going to give in and buy a new plugging rod and reel.  When...???  But, I will be shopping around.  I am even considering used...see lots of barely used items around that are half the price and just like new so.

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 02:08:32 PM »
I like the Tica's, I have one that is rated at 12 - 30 line wt and 2 - 8 oz lure wt.  It is the Dolphin Series and it is the 10' model.  I have had good luck with it plus it was a reasonable price.  I do not know if any of our sponsors handle that model but give them a call.  I am close to Grumpys and Betty & Nicks and they both have them.

Paul

PS If you want to try mine just give me a shout... t^

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 02:32:51 PM »
Paul, how does the 10' Rod work for plugging and lure fishing?  Is it too big?  I guess 1 foot longer than I normally fish with isn't a big deal.  It is probably half the weight of my current rod anyway rofla!

I will check with our sponsors and I frequent Seaside Park so I can check out Grumpy's and Betty & Nick's as well just to take a look at it.

Thanks

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 05:42:33 PM »
Hey P-Man,

If you want to try the rod out just give me a call or PM me and we can meet up at Ortley and you can throw plugs metals and just about anything you want to get a feel of the rod.

I love it, it and the 11' conventional are my go to rods.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 08:27:09 PM »
P-Man, I have the 8ft. Tica matched w/ Penn 550 for pluging,but primarily use it to throw CHUNKS with no problem (off the surf).Look at Harrys Sports, I think there in Bordentown,NJ.   
Good Luck with your pick, AJ

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 09:09:33 PM »
Thanks Paul, I will definitely catch up with you on the beach one day!

AJ, I will check Harry's too!

Sorry, Greg for shang-highing your post, but this should be some good info for you too!

Consensus says Tica so far...

TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 09:24:56 PM »
Harry's address is listed as Robbinsville, NJ. It is actually in Hamilton, on Rt 130, north bound, very close to I-195 exit. Anyone needing directions, just ask. I live about five minutes from Harry's.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Greg7

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 11:37:49 PM »
Thanks Paul, I will definitely catch up with you on the beach one day!

AJ, I will check Harry's too!

Sorry, Greg for shang-highing your post, but this should be some good info for you too!

Consensus says Tica so far...

TT^

Haha, no it's cool. I got some good info from it.
I think I'm going to head down to Reel Life tomorrow and see what they carry Tica wise.  I was at sports authority on thursday so I went to their rod section and found a bunch of ticas which then led me to post this thread. So many choices, needed some opinions.  Hopefully I come home with something tomorrow.....even better, hopefully I come home with a new toy and get to break it in tomorrow night.  t^
thanks for all the help!
And Paul, thanks for the offer, Ill give you a shout when I get some free time to get out there.   

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 11:40:22 PM »
 t^ grtn

Goods luck in your search.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Greg7

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 11:44:10 PM »
I've been window shopping too!  My 17 year old Ugly Stik Surf Rod and Reel have had enough.  I like the Ticas and the Tsunami Airwaves for the price.  I have specifically been looking at a rod that will be multi purpose, but leaning more towards plugging and lures.

Have you considered any reels yet??  I am still trying to narrow it down.  Let me know if you come up with anything else.

Thanks

TT^

Reel wise I was going to use my penn 104 series until I get some more money and info on reels I guess. ???

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 11:53:13 PM »
I haven't decided on a reel yet either.  My reel is as old as my rod, but going strong after some heavy duty cleaning.  I have been looking at Ticas, Shimanos, and Daiwas.  I have a Daiwa now and I am impressed with how it has held up and still going!!  I have also been looking at some older Penns that are "made in the USA!"

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 12:08:57 AM »
Not for nothing I bought a Penn 560 Slammer and I love it.  I loaded 30# PP on it and it is a casting machine.  There are a number of shops locally that repair Penn and I have been told that they are still a good reliable reel.

Say what you want but until we wise up and start producing more of our own equipment here you are going to have to settle for out of country stuff.  I can't afford some of the stuff made here so I settle for what I can afford that will give me the best bang for my buck.

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Greg7

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 12:19:55 AM »
looking at a shimano spheros 6000 right now.  ???

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 12:33:50 AM »
For me it doesn't have anything to do with actually being made here in the USA.  Would be nice if we only produced top of the line, affordable goods, but it isn't always so!  Growing up we really only used Penns.  I like a lot of the foreign made reels, like Shimano, Daiwa and Tica. 

The problem I have with some of the Penns that are not "Made in USA," but are made in China is with the quality that Penn has downgraded from.  When they switched from Philly, PA to China there quality dropped drastically!  I was told to really steer clear of their middle price range items.  People have said that they just aren't as good as they used to be.  I only have heard this from several people we used to by our Penn reels from.  Some of the Penns are NOT cheap either!  I have an old 710z on my Bay Rod.  I also have a new Captiva and Sargus for freshwater and I want to throw them in the garbage.  The Captiva is on the lower end around $50 and the Sargus was $75.  They cast like crap and are nothing but problems.  They have become my loaner reels.  My Pfluegers, which were only $20 more than the Captiva and $5 less than the Sargus are so much nicer.  Too bad I don't like any of the Pfluegers for saltwater, b/c I really like my PFluegers!!

I am sure the reel you have Paul is great.  I am not familiar with the model you have.  I actually haven't looked at any newer model Penns.  I definitely haven't ruled them out, I am just wary after buying 2 new reels that I hate.  That's why I said I was looking for older model Penns that were still "Made in USA!"

Thanks for the info

TT^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 12:41:05 AM »
I just took a look at the Penn you have Paul.  I am sure that end of the reels are very reliable.  You have an awesome Penn Reel.  I am sure it is very reliable and a casting machine.  I like the Spinfisher and Slammer Series a lot.  On the higher end of the spectrum for Penn.  I certainly would stay clear of their 3 lowest end models.  I really like their AF Series also, but I think it is way more than I want to spend on a reel right now!!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 12:51:11 AM »
The low end models I have are on my wife's and daughters outfits and they are the Okuma reels.  I have had these for a number of years and if they are kept clean they are inexpensive workhorses.

IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-