Author Topic: Stripers Newark Bay  (Read 8645 times)

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
Stripers Newark Bay
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:57:08 PM »
regular fishing buddy Dave called me and was talking to some one that works at some place right on the bay and he seen the water just boiling with bunker and stripers,any one familar with this area and fish there?I believe it was last friday he seen this.
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Stripers Newark Bay
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 09:07:30 PM »
good news
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Bobby Wilds

• AKA abitskrewd
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:13:04 PM »
where about in Newark Bay.  i got guys that run the bay everyday 24 hours a day, that i work with.  part of our jobs.  i can call them in the morning and have them scope out that area, and post back what i hear.

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 09:21:18 PM »
where about in Newark Bay.  i got guys that run the bay everyday 24 hours a day, that i work with.  part of our jobs.  i can call them in the morning and have them scope out that area, and post back what i hear.
have no idea where nor does Dave know,have no knowledge at all about Newark Bay,if there is something going on there would have no idea about the area,would not think it would be to far of a run for me but I would only stay in the channel,tried to find nautical chart on line but no success.
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Bobby Wilds

• AKA abitskrewd
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 09:29:32 PM »
the actual bay itself starts out between the bayonne bridge and shooters island.  it extends north under the turnpike extension between newark and jersey city, and goes up to the passaic and hackensack rivers.  most of newark bay is fairly deep as most of the traffic in there is tug boats with barges and ships.  the wakes can be very dangerous as i have seen waves upwards of 6-8 feet being thrown from push boats, sometimes greater with a wind.  i have seen stripers and blues working bait in there as well as the arthur kill.  i used to be one of the guys on the boats everyday, but have since moved up in my little world.  anyways, it is a different world there.

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 09:37:54 PM »
abitskrewd,actually what your saying it's not an area for sports fishermen or recreational boats?

Offline Bobby Wilds

• AKA abitskrewd
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 09:46:10 PM »
i have seen them in there.....most of the time they stay in the kills.....down south towards the outerbridge crossing and fish there.  there are some rock piles that get worked pretty good and have seen guys pull stripers off of them.  in those two rivers i mentioned there are marinas, as well as on the bayonne and jersey city side of the bay that house personal craft.  most head out under the VZ to the open water.

i think there is a guy on here who fishes out of bayonne from the shore along the new golf course, which is on the NJ side of the bayonne bridge.  maybe he can add to this if he gets around to it.

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 09:50:03 PM »
gotcha I'll just stay in the Artur Kill area if I'm looking for action that way,thanks for the input.    Kez

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 10:11:54 PM »
When I fish with my neighbor we leave Bayonne and go through Newark Bay and fish the Kill Van Kull and New York Bay by the Verrezzano Bridge. Not sure about specific depths but last time I was looking at his depth finder on our way out and the deepest points I found were about 60-70 feet. Their are a lot of large container ships that go through there and dock in Newark or Elizabeth. I go to Bayonne High School which is right on the bay and a lot of my classes have windows that face the bay and I see boats going through there all the time. I think I remember member "Bayonne" saying he fishes veterens stadium, it's right on the bay. He can probably add more to this. Ive never really fished Newark Bay but if it's true about the stripers I might have to give it a shot.

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 10:20:57 PM »
gymrat,total different area for me,I would come up to the Arthur kill from Raritan Bay under the Outer Bridge.

Offline dikdanger

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 05:25:32 PM »
gymrat,total different area for me,I would come up to the Arthur kill from Raritan Bay under the Outer Bridge.

i fish the same are quite often and have had much success...

this spring i had a couple stripers in the 20 + LB range right past the outerbridge near the perth amboy marina...

good luck... when i start hitten them in my hometown of tottenville ... i'll start a thread with some pictures... 

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STRIPERS.....
Fishey Fishey in the bay... Come and bite my Hook TODAY !!!

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 11:34:15 AM »
I have a friend who works for The Port Authority with his office located in Port Newark/Elizabeth. He tells me all the time about seeing big bass busting on bunker schools there.

Unfortunately, unless you have security clearence (& even with that I'm not so sure) you can not fish that area by boat or shore.

There are plenty of schoolie bass (<20"s) taken on worms by shore bound anglers from the Bayonne side of the bay.

I think because the western side of the bay has the deeper water (shipping channels) that is why the bigger bass are over there as opposed to the eastern side which is shallower & has more mud flats.

Offline bayonne

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 07:10:18 PM »
most of newark bay is actualy vey shallow other then the channels i havent fished much but havent herd anything about bunker i even drove by veterans park and no fisherman to be seen its blowing a little hard today though most of the reports i been getting from my buddy was saying a mixed bag of small fish on worms stripers porgys spots and king fish with some blues around but not asmuch in newark bay as the other side the ny side has more blues when we launch from 16th street park you must follow a shallow 4 ft channel the runs out to you get to the deeper channel if you dont your in trouble espeacily if it low tide and for some reason newark bay hasnt been as good this year
even though the water is the cleanest its been in years but in past years when you couldnt see in to the water the fishing was hot now unless we get a good rain its gin clear still lot of bait in the water

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 02:28:14 PM »
Plenty of porgies (mostly sublegal, a few kingfish and a few snappers being caught at the southern end of Bayonne Park. Pieces of sandworm getting the porgies & kingfish while spearing and small metal working on the snappers. Top of the tide yielding the best bite.

Offline landshark737

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 06:31:35 PM »
can u eat em outta there tho?

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 06:37:44 PM »

im pretty sure you can.  t^

I hate it when someone tells me the fish I catch around bayonne are "dirty", "cause cancer" and such. The fish you catch here are the same fish that you catch around Sandy Hook and everywhere else. Its not like the fish spend their entire life in the same area. They migrate hundreds of miles. It you catch a fish in Newark Bay and release it, it could swim to sandy hook in less than a day, so then are the fish around sandy hook cancer causing? If a lake is contaminated tehn okay the fish will be too because they can never get out of that water but in the ocean when all the water mixes and the fish move over such great distances idk. Im just saying that the fish in Newark Bay are the same fish you catch in all other areas of Jersey and all over the east coast.  t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 07:25:48 PM »
Gymrat is right about the fish!  There is a BAN on all shellfish out of Newark Bay.  So you can't crab or clam there.

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 10:33:38 PM »
 t^ grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 12:07:40 AM »

im pretty sure you can.  t^

I hate it when someone tells me the fish I catch around bayonne are "dirty", "cause cancer" and such. The fish you catch here are the same fish that you catch around Sandy Hook and everywhere else. Its not like the fish spend their entire life in the same area. They migrate hundreds of miles. It you catch a fish in Newark Bay and release it, it could swim to sandy hook in less than a day, so then are the fish around sandy hook cancer causing? If a lake is contaminated tehn okay the fish will be too because they can never get out of that water but in the ocean when all the water mixes and the fish move over such great distances idk. Im just saying that the fish in Newark Bay are the same fish you catch in all other areas of Jersey and all over the east coast.  t^

Hmmm... You're pretty smart for a Gymrat! ;D t^

Offline mgm

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 10:52:56 AM »
Gymrat is right about the fish!  There is a BAN on all shellfish out of Newark Bay.  So you can't crab or clam there.

TT^

A laugh and a half...when you come into the Kill from Raritan Bay, there are commercial crab traps on the SI Side of the river.....it is illegal to crab on NJ side of the river....wassup wit dat! ???
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-