Author Topic: Hooks...  (Read 4149 times)

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
Hooks...
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:09:45 AM »
A good number of my fishing cronies have always told me to replace the "standard" hooks on my lures. In the past 5 or 6 years that I've been fishing the Mega-Bait JB110 I never had a problem with the hooks so I figured; "Why screw-up a good thing?".

Yesterday was the answer to the previously asked question!
I took the time to handle some personal obligations on the bay side of Spemaceti Cove and once completed I decided to troll my favorite lure... Took a hit & a half!! Rod almost doubled back on it's self, drag was peeling out nice a steady but the pvc pipe I had used for a trolling tube was flapping in the breaze! Seems as though Mr. Fish hit so hard he pulled the cheap azz crate apart! I managed to hold onto Mr. Fish for a minute or two; long enough to get the bow of the yak pointed towards him, then watched him go air-borne! Back in the water I started to take back some line he had taken and, to my horror, felt the line go slack!  I retrieved the lure (!) all knots intact but two of the three hooks that make up the treble on the belly hook had been straighten!! Not completely straightened but enough to see that I didn't have a hook!!  (To add insult to injury; while I was retieing [sp] my next lure I watch a big 'ol fish do a roll right next to the yak! Woke me up, quick & in a hurry!) Yes I tried to make a couple more trolling passes but its tough holding the rod between your legs & paddling!!
Lesons learned:
- replace the factory hooks if the even look flimsy, picked up some Mustad HD #2 on the way home(!), and
- make sure the equipment on the 'yak will stand up to larger fish when you're hunting larger fish!

Here's a couple pics of the treble in question:

Didn't means to be so verbose, my apologies... Hope the point was made though!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: Hooks...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »
SeaFlea,

I feel for you, man!  It stinks to lose a big fish due to no fault of your own. nosmly

BTW, that JB110 is a hot little bait (especially in that color)! ;D 

However, you're right.  Those hooks Megabait uses are very thin.  They are really like freshwater hooks.  And, unfortunately they cost you a good fish. :-\

Some manufacturers do use quality hooks.  Yozuri is one that always seems to put sharp, strong hooks on their baits.  As a matter of fact, I'm sitting here looking at a 5" Mag Minnow (same size as a JB110), and it's got some nice, sticky, heavy duty hooks on it.  Then there are others that it seems like they use whatever hooks they have in stock that day, so it's like pot luck with them!  Still others, it depends on the size of the lure they are putting them on (i.e. little baits = little hooks).

The other thing you have to look at sometimes is the split ring they use.  Putting a better quality hook on an inferior split ring can be just as bad.

FWIW, although I've used Mustads and others, I like the Gamakatsu 4X trebles for my replacement hooks.  They are extremely sharp and very strong. t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 02:00:14 PM »
Great report!  It stinks to lose a nice fish, anytime!  It is crazy how those hooks just bent like that.  Must have been "some" fish.  You will get'em next time!

TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 04:47:27 PM »
Nice report.  t^

Bummer about the hook.  :P
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 05:01:25 PM »
Thanks, gents, 'preciate it.  And, "Yes!", Bucktail, split rings are next on the hit list!! I'll have to hunt down a Mag Darter in 'Bronze' and see how it compares to the Mega-Bait...
Tight lines!!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 05:11:58 PM »
Wow..  great info t^..  was it a bass breaking water?

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 06:13:17 AM »
Sounds to me like you had one hell of a weekend
I have also been in that same situation more then I would like to say....

The problem I have is... with those small plugs a large hook can screw up the plugs action....
small plugs come with cheap hooks most are made for fresh water anyway....

I know I'm not much of a help with hooks... But I do recommend you change them as much as possible.... If I start missing fish... I change all my hooks...

It was great to hear you had some fun this weekend
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 12:08:32 PM »
Rod, 
I'd like to think it was a bass... It didn't have the 'head shake' associated with a blue and the fact that it hit the belly hook, and not the tail hook, has me thinking it was a bass. I wasn't close enough to it when it leaped to see strips or not so I truly can't be sure! 5hrug

Dave,
I agree with the size of the hook(s) effecting the action of the lure. The lure pictured is 4 1/2" in length and is a "floater" so I'm hoping the Mustads aren't too heavy for it. But, change then I shall!!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 02:50:34 PM »
Great report, I bet your heart was racing a mile a minute on that one and only to loose it to inferior hooks is a big time bummer.

Good Luck on the next outing I bet once you change those wire hooks that won't happen again... t^ grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-