Author Topic: Tuggin Tog all day long 11/17  (Read 4630 times)

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Tuggin Tog all day long 11/17
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:23:22 PM »
Wow! Started out early this AM second quessing the forecast.  Winds were expected to be 10-15 but you wouldn't know it in the Shrews..  Flat as lake. Outside was a different story and wind/weather was spot on.   Tbone and his brother-in-law Donnie a.k.a. Michael Jackson (more on that later) had the greenies in tow.  When they arrived, I just finished schucking about three dozen clams. Set for bait, we loaded the balance of gear, pulled the lines and off to SHR for a day of TOGAMANIA!

Rounding the tip, Donnie spots birds working off the Knoll. Can't say we weren't tempted but decided to stay with the game plan. Good thing we did. Coincidently, T-bones wife called later that morning and put in a order of striper. I guess he'll have to give her the bad news and then the good news  t^

Arrived at our destination honing right in on the wreck as marked about a month back while bottom fishing.  Sure as there are wild fires in California the place is lit up.  Anchor is secured and there's a mad scramble to get lines over the side.  Clams are cut into 1/4" julien strips, crabs are busted in half, quartered, legs on, legs off, male/female, hi/lo's, singles, etc.  Looking for the right combination.  Fish tapping on each of our rods.....

First fish on.... a disappointment.  A porgie that I foul hooked being a little over anxious thinking it was blackie.   damn

Next one another swing and a miss by Tbone, then we all took turns getting frustrated.  We finally settled down getting the rythmn and began tuggin away and flippin meat over the rails.   The action was hot and heavy through the tide and only slowed for about 45 mins after slack and proceeded to crank right back up after the change.  We made two minor adjustments with the anchor all day long. No stopping for lunch but did indulge in a couple of cool ones to level out the over swings  ;).

Around 2 o'clock we had about a dozen keep fish with the largest around 5 lb. about two handfuls of throw backs just short and 1/2 dozen short seabass.  Asking the guys what they want to do.... Tbone did not hesistate.  FISH!!!   So, we keep at it.  We lost about 4 rigs at this point by those denizens of the rocks.  Everyone is in the water a MJ starts screaming "oh no you don't!! Get outathere! and his Tsunami bent like a pretzel.  He's got a nice fish on!  This thing heads for the caves and peels drag, rod is pointed to the heavens and the tip is going to hell!

MJ (aka Donnie) finally manages to surface this fish and calls for the net.....  Sweet jesus he's got a bute!  Now, I know this is no record but 8+ lbs on the digi made our day.  So (here's where the MJ comes in) he's unhooking this slob, the fish hits the deck and he's silently sitting on the gunwale with the hook imbeded in his mit.  Right in web of the hand betweeen the thumb and index.  Son-of-a-bitch never said a word!!  I'm watchin him and he's doin what your supposed to do....  He pushes a 2/0 bait holder through the other side so the barb is pertruding and says hey, you got a pair of pliers?   He busted his expensive pair tryin to snip.   Needless to say, we do the required surgery and the hook is pulled through.   Not a friggin complaint, moan, no nothin.  A few minutes later,  I look over and his back fishin but I see this white glove looking thing on his paw..  He's got latex gloves coverering everything up.   So I figure he's got a new nickname... MJ.

Would'nt you guess he hooks up again.  This time with a nice 7 lber.  We ended up leaving the fish biting today and boxed our limit for three.   Big Donnie, MJ's dad, was supposed to be with us but took a skip at the last minute.  We could have used the extra hands.... he'll be eatin good though.  Fillets got his name on them!

During the mad bite, we watched a tug pulling a barge loaded with reef material.  Throughout the day, jersey barriers, concrete rubble etc were craned over the side and strewn to the ocean floor seeding what will eventually be productive new cover for all types of bottom dwellers.  Cool operation to watch if you get the opportunity.

Another adventure... to bad the boating season is coming to a close.  Hope to get out there a couple of more times before end of month assuming the marina is good with that.

Till next time

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: Tuggin Tog all day long 11/17
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 10:35:03 PM »
Great report and a great day of catching! t^  Congratulations on a terrific trip!  Nice pics too.  Hope your buddy's paw feels better soon. ;)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:35:52 PM »
 t^ grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 10:42:47 PM »
nice trip catch and report!!!

was a nice day to be on the water

Love those tog

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 10:50:21 PM »
Great report and great catch!  Lots of fish, cold ones, surgery and new reef sinking...doesn't get any better than that on the water!

TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 11:32:37 PM »
Excellent report and catch. Sounds like the fishing was red hot for you guys today.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 05:50:32 AM »
nice catch
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 06:12:06 AM »
 Awesome report Pilot.. t^

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 07:45:19 AM »
Nice Job Pilot Great pics and report t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 08:17:16 AM »
 t^

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 10:38:19 AM »
way to get em,good report and catch t^

of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 10:45:53 AM »
Sweet report pilot  TT^ Grats on a great day  chrz

Offline kpcoe

• Super Hero Member
  • 21' Seaswirl Striper..."Freedom 3"
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 12:30:04 PM »
nice! chrz
Freedom 3

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 12:40:15 PM »
awesome !
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 01:49:54 PM »
Great Trip!! Nice pix.  t^   <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 02:20:46 PM »
Way to go  ;D
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »
Nice  t^

Offline Tbone

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 04:33:18 PM »
Pilot,
"Donnie a.k.a. Michael Jackson" Are you kidding me LOL.  Another great trip and plenty of nice fish.  It's sad that we are almost done but that was one great trip to keep me going over the winter. Until later, TBone

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 07:17:39 PM »
Tbone,

What a crew! Still smilin from a good day out. Next time we'll have to get Poor Dog out to show us his technique  rofla 

I got confirmation that Thursday is a go.  Do you think you can catch a bad case of 24 hr tog-itis bug thats goin around?  Nick is going to have to play hooky if he wants in.  We'll make a last run at it!

Offline FINITALIA2

• 43.8lbs. 49in.
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 06:21:33 PM »
nice

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-