Author Topic: FALL FUN / WINTER RUN  (Read 5036 times)

Offline 8WEIGHT

FALL FUN / WINTER RUN
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:26:33 PM »
I think we all agree that the run for better or worse has been screwy due to all the fronts and western blasts of late. For the boat guys that have been able to get out have had their pick of some size fish, but for the suds fishermen shorts are the norm. I think we have yet to see the full on run here in NJ and the larger body of fish are still up off LI heading our way. We haven't even sen any massive bunker schools hit the area yet. My question is first Am I wrong about that and the best yet to come. Where are all the bunker?. Sand eels galore shorts galore and bluefish galore WHERE ARE THE BIGGUNS?
Time and Tide wait for no man...Ill take a neap on the flats anytime But more importantly "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: FALL FUN / WINTER RUN
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 07:36:53 PM »
I agree 100%!  I think the best is yet to come.  Great for the suds pounder, bad for the boater who winterized already.  There really has not been an abundance of bait in the ocean yet.  More than in the summer, but not a full out run.  I have seen and heard the back bays and rivers are still pretty thick with bait and producing fish still.  This certainly means the full out run has not begun, or the run will be longer and spread out like we have seen it so far.

Here's to hoping!

TT^

Offline kpcoe

• Super Hero Member
  • 21' Seaswirl Striper..."Freedom 3"
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 08:19:19 PM »
I am hoping your right about "best is yet to come"....but three weeks ago I thought the water was to warm in the bay...and in a hurry its gotten to 52-53..and lower after tonight...really not havin a good feelin about whats left,but chrz anyway!
Freedom 3

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 08:32:22 PM »
jigging would be great in the pt area now if the blues >:D would leave.

i like to see sand eels & herring around. which we have had . usually makes for a better run. size always varies every year. But dec should be good.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 11:29:21 PM »
It has been a strange year so far but it started that way in the Spring.  All I can say is that I have been having a ball catching all summer.  The bass are just lingering here and there and reports say there are tons of bait in the bays yet.  So enjoy it while you can, it looks like the Fall run is more like a fully loaded freight train slow and long.  This season might even linger into January, can ya stand it.

BTW Welcome Aboard 8WEIGHT  and thanks for posting.

I knew as soon as the bass started to hit slowly right before Fall that this season would be a different animal.  Defiantly better than last years no shows.  I would rather have it this way.  Blitzes are great to jump start your heart but I would rather be fishing through January and catching than sittin at the computer and chatting all day.

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Reel Class

• Sponsor
    • Reel Class website
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 06:35:24 AM »
bunker are waaaaaay offshore

sandeels keep the fish around

herring and whiting will start becoming key forages as the weather gets colder, as will mackerel

Some of the big fish typically take the offshore route - they show up at Montauk, then mysteriously a week or two later, show up at Cape May.  We see a lot of the smaller fish coming out of LI and further E as they follow the smaller baits inshore, hence the reason why we see so many fish during the fall run

Capt Allen
Reel Class Charters
Point Pleasant, NJ
www.reelclassfishing.com
(201)248-5281

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 06:42:56 AM »
Last three years have had great jigging into January.......... t^  only problem is the big fish miss the SH area and go south :'( 5hrug

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 09:17:54 AM »
Even though there are large amounts of bunker offshore there are still a substantial amount in the Barnagate Bay as of a week or so ago.  Kayak1 and I were talking about it and how weird it was that there should be that much bait still in the bay.  There are still stripers there as well, go figure.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 10:53:26 AM »
Welcome Aboard 8weight!! I am with Paul especially since I get out less than the average fisherman on this sight. It has not been good yet for me on stripers. I am 0 for about 30 in the win/loss column. Hope that cheers you up. Welcome to the site....I look forward to more posts from you in the future!  chrz 
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 08:35:42 AM »
I agree that the larger body of fish is still on the way. It has been killing me though because I check the ocean out every morning and afternoon and mostly in the late afternoons I have been watching birds by the hundreds up and down the beach here in Ocean City. They have been mostly out in about 30 to 35ft of water. The part that is bad is the wind has been blowin so much we can't get to them. The inlet is a disaster. Our day will come.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 02:26:32 PM »
I agree, I was over to Ortley this morning just scouting and saw a bunch of birds working like you said in 30 - 35' of water and another bigger flock with a ton of boats out about 2 - 3 miles off Seaside and IBSP.

Just listening to the boats there are fish but they are down deep and are just waiting for scraps to fall.

I have been using this down time to tie some new teasers and get ready for the big cows to come in close. 

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 02:48:24 PM »
Sound like a diamond jig or other metal bait will work. Or maybe a bucktail with a chartruse tail on it. This is my kind of Bass fishing.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 02:52:50 PM »
Paul, how did the ocean look today? Rough? Clean/Dirty?
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 05:23:48 PM »
I to agree.... Being I do keep intouch with what is going on up at the beach these days...

I can tell ya that the back bay.... Is still holding some large pods of bait that have not pushed all that much...

I was working down in Lacey early this week and found tons of baby bunker still in the back creeks.... All this bait still needs to exit the bay.

October and November on the beach for the most part is always big bluefish anyway....

December in the past is the month to fish for bass along the beach in the cuts and around the sand bars for me, any other thoughts
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 08:34:22 PM »
I would not be surprised if we see Bass right on through December and well into January. It has happend before.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 10:25:28 PM »
Hey Joe, the beach was clean today in fact it looked like a perfect day to be out there slinging lead around.  I did not see to much action though.  They said that the early morning and early evening have been the sweet time.

Talked to one fella and he was surprised that the water up here was so clean.  He came up from LBI and said there was a lot of sand in the water and that brown foam all over the place.

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 07:10:19 PM »
this cold spell will deffinately bring the big ones down. There is still tons of bait in the rivers and back bays and 15-20lbers are being caught with them.
 I need to find a cheap place for my boat to keep on the trailer for dec. and poss jan, if anyone knows someplace please let me know..Atlantic highlands area.
Keith
Franklin, N.J.
Proud member of the I.B.E.W. local 827

MAKO 250wa twin 150 E-tecs
  Happily fishing out of Atlantic Highlands Municiple Marina.

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 08:12:30 PM »
With this being my first year surf fishing and not being equipped for the cold weather, I had put away all my stuff a couple weeks ago. 
But I dragged it all back out today.  Sunday morning when I get out of work, I'll gonna bundle up and give IBSP a shot.
From what I'm reading here and elsewhere, sounds like steady catching right now. 

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 09:14:17 PM »
Thanks for the info Paul.  slt

Good luck Sunday Lt.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 10:19:03 AM »
Just read the report from Betty & Nicks with an up date:

Hugh school of bass right on the beach in Seaside heading south  If you can get to the park you can head them off at the jetty.  I know I can't get out today the wife is already outside working on the leaves so I guess my day is already planned out for me.

Bhaaaaaaa, I feel like a sheep.
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-