Author Topic: Another Fish Kill at Nuke Plant  (Read 3895 times)

Offline kayak1

• only at night
Another Fish Kill at Nuke Plant
« on: December 01, 2008, 01:03:57 PM »
On App.com.... We have had another fish kill at Oyster Creek power plant on Friday.... 38 fish died....

Whats your Thoughts on this.....
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Another Fish Kill at Nuke Plant
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:15:13 PM »
The fish are there because of the warm water discharge. When they shut down the discharge the fish die, probably due to the shock of the water temperature change.  5hrug

They have to either find a way to continue the warm water discharge at shut down or cool the water before it hits the creek.

We do need the energy the plant puts out, there is no question about that. But, they have to find a way to make it environmentally sound.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 01:45:15 PM »
 whs

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 02:08:01 PM »
38...that's nothing!  They just had a refueling outage and 5000+ fish were killed, mostly bluefish.  Pretty crazy!  However, I am not against nuclear energy.  That plant provides a lot of electricity to this state and this area.  It is coal and oil free power.  Exactly, the direction this country needs to go in...  It also provides a lot of jobs for mostly local residents.  In the last article, it said that to retrofit the plant, because it is so old, with water cooling devices, it would cost millions, if not billions of dollars.  If the plant was required to do this, they would just shut it down.

There has to be a better alternative, like large net like walls to keep the fish out of the inflow and outflow.  That way when they powered down, the fish would be down in the Bay and not be affected like they are up closer to Rte 9 5hrug.

TT^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 02:42:16 PM »
The fish are there because of the warm water discharge. When they shut down the discharge the fish die, probably due to the shock of the water temperature change.  5hrug

They have to either find a way to continue the warm water discharge at shut down or cool the water before it hits the creek.

We do need the energy the plant puts out, there is no question about that. But, they have to find a way to make it environmentally sound.
whs
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 05:53:53 PM »
Let's not forget there is still no good long-term storage plan for the spent nuclear fuel which remains highly toxic and radioactive for thousands of years. Way longer than the containers that hold them are designed to last. Sounds like more faulty logic from our government. Not in my backyard....   5hrug

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 06:14:31 PM »
I think Oyster Creek has and still stocks a certain number of fish each year. Not that killing them is ok, but I would hope they replenish more then they destroy.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 06:41:30 PM »
In my simple mind it would make more sense to power down in the height of the summer where the fish would not be effected by the difference in temps as the water is warm already.

We will not be able to get away from nuclear as an alternative power source as in the long run is is one of the cheapest sources of power we have.  For the most part it is the public that is misinforming each other.  If you knew how it actually worked you would be amazed how safe it actually is.

Yes there are issues I know that but the storage for right now is safe until they get off their s$$es and allow the spent fuel to be stored under ground.

The problem again is that the public will not let this spent fuel to go through their town you watch.  It was the same thing again just like the Nike situation in Manchester/Lakehurst area.  

The residual effect that the plant has on the environment is small when it comes to fish kills.  I know that is like fingernails on a blackboard but it is true.  Look how many homes are serviced by just this plant alone dumping millions of Kilowatts into the NE grid and not polluting the air with carbon dioxide (CO2) and sulphur dioxide (SO2).  

Well it is hard to imagine something that seems to be harmful as in an atomic bomb can be so helpful as in producing energy.  You have to remember the uranium used in the atomic bomb is weapons grade and very volatile where as the uranium used in producing power is only about 8% of that not even close to an explosion.

As far as the cost ratio it's not even close, it will take tons of coal to produce what only grams of atomic energy capsules will cost.  Here is a short video on just that.

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/hsw/11469-physics-coal-power-vs-nuclear-power-video.htm

I hope this helps and if you have some questions (please not to technical) as I was a first responder instructor trained by the NRC to teach Police, Fire, and First Aiders that might have to respond to an event at the plant or within the 10 mile EPZ ring around the plant.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 08:42:31 PM »
Not the fisrt fish kill, won't be the last. They are operating on a temporary license extention until they get their license renewal, and they WILL get the renewal.  nosmly <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 11:23:26 PM »
Not  In  My  Back  Yard!

Oh wait...  It already is in my backyard.  Silly me. ;D

Now can someone tell me where I can pick up my iodine pills? :P

Living so close, I don't fear a meltdown or a radiation leak, or anything like that.  But it really ticks me off when they have these massive fish kills!  >:( 

BTW, is it normal when the third eye that's growing under your armpit is bloodshot all the time? ;)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 12:01:23 AM »
For the KI tablets call the OC Office of Emergency Management at:

(732) 341-3451

That would be at R.J. Miller Airport.

You must live within the 10 mile EPZ (Emergency Planning Zone) I am not sure if working within the zone counts.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 12:04:28 AM »
For the KI tablets call the OC Office of Emergency Management at:

(732) 341-3451

That would be at R.J. Miller Airport.

You must live within the 10 mile EPZ (Emergency Planning Zone) I am not sure if working within the zone counts.

Ummm...  I was kidding.  ;)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 12:22:20 AM »
I kinda figured that out but just so you know they are available at the county level.  They were taken away at the local level around 1998 because they found that the tablets were out of date and well they were never used or even thought about being used.  I think that says a lot about the plants record.

Just so you know Oyster Creek if it is decommissioned would be the first and because there is no protocols in dismantling a plant like this it is estimated to take 10 years to complete the process.  Maybe longer if the bickering goes on from all the environmentalist.

I think it would be safer to keep it going knowing there are regulations in place instead of having them experiment on this plants dismantling procedure.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 06:18:39 AM »
Thats why I love this page....You can ask anything and get great information back like this....

I could not find information like this... If I sat all day on my computer.....
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 10:59:35 AM »
mmmmmmmmmm

iodine

my favorite  ::)

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-